Questions about proxy use

Windows specific questions, problems.
wayback

Questions about proxy use

Post by wayback »

I'm new here, and still using uTorrent 2.2.1, but looking to make a change.  I've been reading through things here about using a proxy, and it's not clear to me where things stand with respect to making sure nothing goes around my proxy.  So a few questions:

1.  I need to have either a single setting, or multiple settings as long as it's clear which ones I need, which will result in nothing going around my socks5 proxy.  I think that means that all communications with the tracker and with all peers will go through the proxy, and if the proxy is down, all communications cease - qbt will NOT revert to using normal communications.  I think it also means that things like DHT, PEX, peer discovery, and anything else that allows finding or using peers other than through the tracker are disabled.  I see that MrGreg has been furnished an alpha version that appears to do these things, but I would need an official published version that will be accepted by all trackers.  Can someone tell me where things stand on this front?  Is it possible to do what I want with the current official stable version?  If not, is a new version to be released soon addressing these issues?

2.  Is it possible to disable use of IPv6 by qbt?

3.  Assuming the proxy supports it, will qbt do UDP trackers via a proxy?

4.  Will qbt connect with a secure tracker via a proxy?  (i.e. - the tracker's url is https.)

I would appreciate any help with these questions.  Thanks very much.
MrGreg

Re: Questions about proxy use

Post by MrGreg »

Hi wayback,

OK here is the deal. The latest official release will not protect you. If the connection to your proxy fails, then it will revert to using your wan ip from your ISP. The reason for this is a change in libtorrent. The anonymous mode setting used to force the proxy to be used and if it failed, then all traffic would stop. Anonymous mode has changed. There are now 2 settings recognized by libtorrent (anonymous and force proxy). Both are required to ensure complete protection.

You MUST use the latest alpha release which has both settings. You can get it here. http://qbforums.shiki.hu/index.php/topi ... l#msg14206. You MUST enable the following settings. Under Connection/Proxy Server, "Use proxy for peer connections" and "Disable connections not supported by proxies" Under BiTorrent/Privacy, "Enable anonymous mode". The next settings are not required to be protected but recommended. Under Advanced, "Exchange trackers with other peers" and "Always announce to all trackers".

The latest alpha release is very stable. I have had no problems with trackers not accepting the alpha release. However I do not access any private trackers. I cannot predict if a private tracker will reject you because you are running an alpha release.

Yes it is possible to disable IPv6. Under Advanced, change "Network Interface" from Any interface to your wired or wireless connection.

Yes if your proxy is SOCKS5 then UDP is supported. DHT which uses UDP will function just fine. You can also use PEX without any problems.

I am not sure about the secure tracker with https. I suspect that will not cause any problems.
Last edited by MrGreg on Sat Dec 13, 2014 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

Yes it is possible to disable IPv6. Under Advanced, change "Network Interface" from Any interface to your wired or wireless connection.
What has that got to do with disabling IPv6????

The correct answers is no, you disable it in the operating system.
Will qbt connect with a secure tracker via a proxy?  (i.e. - the tracker's url is https.)
Only if the proxy supports HTTPS:
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

Post by sledgehammer_999 »

wayback wrote:1.  I need to have either a single setting, or multiple settings as long as it's clear which ones I need, which will result in nothing going around my socks5 proxy.  I think that means that all communications with the tracker and with all peers will go through the proxy, and if the proxy is down, all communications cease - qbt will NOT revert to using normal communications.  I think it also means that things like DHT, PEX, peer discovery, and anything else that allows finding or using peers other than through the tracker are disabled.  I see that MrGreg has been furnished an alpha version that appears to do these things, but I would need an official published version that will be accepted by all trackers.  Can someone tell me where things stand on this front?  Is it possible to do what I want with the current official stable version?  If not, is a new version to be released soon addressing these issues?
In addition to what MrGreg said: The next stable version, v3.2.0, will have those features. However for these to be available qBittorrent needs to be compiled using libtorrent 1.0.x and not 0.16.x. On Windows it will use 1.0.x. On other systems it depends on the packager.
2.  Is it possible to disable use of IPv6 by qbt?
Yes. Go to tools->options->advanced->listen on IPv6 address. (you'll need v3.1.11)
MrGreg

Post by MrGreg »

Cioababy, I think waybacks question relates to keeping qB from using IPv6, not disabling it for all apps. Therefore I believe fixing the network interface would accomplish what the user wants. I missed the setting that Sledge suggests. This would also accomplish disabling IPv6 and still allow qB to listen on all other interfaces.
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

I think waybacks question relates to keeping qB from using IPv6,
Yep, but if the same router is being used for Wireless and Ethernet connections IPv6 being on or off is not going to change by changing the preferred interface.
wayback

Post by wayback »

Thanks very much for the responses.  But I'm still unclear on a few things.

First, what exactly does anonymous mode do?  I should explain that the tracker I use most of the time is a private tracker.  So it needs to be able to recognize me.

Second, MrGreg you talked about using DHT and PEX through a socks5 proxy.  But I thought both of those involved direct connections with other peers, or at least would require a direct incoming port which is not provided when using a proxy (at least not the one I use).  In fact, I want only the tracker to know my IP.  So I thought DHT and PEX would need to be disabled to preserve IP stealth.  I'm obviously not an expert on any of this, so if someone could explain this I would appreciate it.

Then with respect to ipv6, my understanding is that at least under some circumstances your ipv4 address is a field in the ipv6 header, so if 6 is used, there's a risk that that field would not be translated by the proxy, and your ipv4 IP would therefore be disclosed to any peer smart enough to find it.  I have ipv6 turned off everywhere I can find it, and I don't think my old G router even supports it.  But for the long run, I just want to make sure this won't become a problem.  But it may be that it's not really an issue I need to worry about at the qbt level.

Concerning connecting to an HTTPS tracker via a proxy, it turns out that uTorrent will not do that, even in the later versions.  I read one post in their forum that what you have to do is set up a proxy in IE, which uT will then use.  But of course that puts all browser HTTPS traffic through the proxy, which isn't what you want to do.  I haven't tried it.  The private tracker I mentioned before has just made secure connections an option, but I suspect in time it will become mandatory.  So I need to make sure this will work.  I mean, it seems to me it ought to work, and I don't understand why it doesn't in uT (I can go direct to the secure tracker in uT, outside the proxy, and it works fine).  So it's a mystery.  Well, maybe it depends on whether the client has to establish a secure connection to the proxy rather than with the tracker.  If so, then as ciaobaby says, the proxy would have to support secure connections.  Would this be part of the socks5 standard?  Anyway, that's why I asked.

Thanks again for all the info.  Do we have an ETA for v3.2.0 for Windows?
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

So it needs to be able to recognize me.
"Private" trackers  'recognise' clients by the ID key that was embedded in the "announce" URL when you logged into the site and downloaded "your" copy of the metadata file (.torrent).