What is the Proper way to relocate a file/folder in QBittorrent?

Windows specific questions, problems.
Soundman192

What is the Proper way to relocate a file/folder in QBittorrent?

Post by Soundman192 »

I'm a noobie to QBT, coming from uTorrent.  It was very easy to relocate a Folder then "Set the Location", Recheck and you were good to go.

I have been playing with QBT, needing to relocate folders to new drives and in doing so, I can't quite figure out what QBT is doing.  When I use the "Set Location" function, it wants to create a new file ext: .!qB which is preallocated, and rather than be ready to seed, it wants to re-download, the good file is in the directory as well.  If I pause the torrent.  Delete the .!qB file the Set Location created, and rename the good file with the added extension of .!qB then Recheck, everything is good.  But this is a lot of messing around.

What am I missing, it should not be this hard, or this many steps.

So what is the correct way to get QBittorrent back to seeding a folder/file after it has been moved?  What I have found in forum makes no mention of this .!qB file so what do I have setup wrong or what has changed that requires all this  messing around to avoid re-downloading every folder/file I move?

SM
Cholliwog

Re: What is the Proper way to relocate a file/folder in QBittorrent?

Post by Cholliwog »

1) The right way to relocate a torrent [in qBittorrent] is by selecting the torrent in qBittorrent, right-clicking, and selecting 'set location'. It'll move it and continue managing with no more input required.

2)Assuming you relocated using windows, 1+recheck should work.

3)If 2 didn't work because of .!qB related problems, you can try
A)Disabling .!qB in options (signifying incomplete download) or
B)
  • Copy the torrent file to the desktop,
  • In qBittorrent select--> context menu--> delete torrent only
  • Move content to default location
  • Open the saved torrent, making sure to select 'recheck'. Hopefully you should be good to go.
P.S. Depending on your reasons on moving the torrent, you may prefer to use built-in options like torrent categorization, or relocating all torrents upon completion.

Edit:B appears to be irrelevant as your method achieves the same end, and is confirmed to work (by you).
[quote="Soundman192"]
If I pause the torrent.  Delete the .!qB file the Set Location created, and rename the good file with the added extension of .!qB then Recheck, everything is good.  But this is a lot of messing around.
SM
[/quote]
Last edited by Cholliwog on Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
ticedoff8

Post by ticedoff8 »

Running qB v4.1.5 on a Windows 10 system
I am seeding several dozen files but I have run out of disk space and need to relocate about 100GB of files (30 files) that are being seeded

In the qB dashboard, I <right click> on a small'ish file (125MB) that is not currently being downloaded or seeding and is not "Paused".
From the drop down file menu and I select "Set location...".
Using the file browser that pops up, I navigate to the new drive / folder that I'll be using and press <select folder>.
No error message pops up and I return to the qB dashboard.
There does not seem to be any thing different (visually) about the file and it all looks normal.

But...
I check the old location, and both the .torrent file and the payload file are still there.
I check new new location and only the payload file is there - no .torrent file.

I right click and do a "Force recheck" and there is no problems. The recheck runs through 100% and then goes pack to "Seeding"

So... Now what?
It has been about 2 hours and nothing has changed.

Am I being impatient and I should just wait for qB to finish the relocation?
Or, do I need to "do something"?
And if I need to do something; what should I do?

These .torrent files are uploaded to TPB so I really don't want to break anything.

I am down to the last 20GB on this disk, so I need to relocate these files as quickly, and reliably, as I can.

Suggestions?

If it matters, the old location is a local disk and the new location is on a network shared folder.
The network is 1GbE and the server is Win2012 R2 64b w/ shared 30TB RAID.
Thx.

When I used the qB <Tools> => <Torrent Creator> tool, the .torrent files was automatically saved in the location as the payload file.
Does something need to be changed in the .torrent file?
Or.... What?

As a "test", I open the Windows File Explorer and navigate to the old location.
qB is still running.
I select the payload file and try to change the file extension to .old.
Windows says the file is in use and I cannot change the name.
So, I suspect qB is still doing something with the old payload file.
Last edited by ticedoff8 on Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
postcd

Post by postcd »

In the qbt Options  / Download, i think one can set DefaultSavePath (example E:\) and then configure Categories section in main interface to createsub folders. Then one can right click torrent file/s and set Automated management mode. It will relocate the file to DefaultSavePath (E:\), or if torrent is in some category, named "Movies" for example, Automatic manaqgement mode will relocate it to E:\Movies. Though category can be set to relocate child torrents into custom path, even different drive. Here is a description in another words.

I think qbt animated relocation by changing torrent progress bar showing "moving" in torrent list.

If automated mode does not fit, then try to relocate only one torrent at a time, it should show progress of moving. Then try multiple ones. If u unsure,do "Force recheck" in torrents (that should have been moved) right click menu. You may also try moving to the classic drive, not network drive.If normalworks,but network fails, you may try to submit bug report at github.com qbt repository describing properties of your network drive (filesharing protocol used, OS version,qbt version)

Make sure you do not have openned the directory with torrent location in for example Windows explorer and you do not have open that files you want to move - not to prevent the move.
Last edited by postcd on Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ticedoff8

Post by ticedoff8 »

Here is what I found out (so far):
For torrents that I am seeding (either the ones that I created or the ones that I downloaded and then started seeding), I can right-click on the file that is seeding, and select "Set Location" from the drop-down menu.
A file explorer window will open and I navigate to the new location's drive and folder and click <Select Folder>.
qB will pause the seeding and move the file to the new location and cleanup the original location (delete folders and files). Once the file is moved, qB will resume seeding the file.
I didn't wait long enough when I first tried it (it was a 3GB file), so I thought it was not working.

The next step is to relocate the files that I am downloading.
Right now, I have 12 files that are "stalled" due to lack of "seeds".
I _think_ the proper procedure is to:
* Pause all downloads
* Change the "Tools" => "Options" => "Downloads" details for "Default Save Paths" ("Keep incomplete torrents in:", "Copy .torrent files to:" and "Copy .torrent file for finished downloads to:") to the new path(s) to the new locations
* Use standard Windows "File Explorer" to copy the incomplete downloads (folders and files) the new location (preserving the folder names and file names)
* Change the names of the original location's files and folder by 1 character (to test the success)
* In the qB GUI, right click on a file that is incomplete and select "Force Recheck"
If "Force recheck" completes successfully, then it should all be OK.
At this point, I shoul dbe able to delete the files from the original locations and be happy again.