1 seed, many peers, no traffic

Windows specific questions, problems.
Freddy

1 seed, many peers, no traffic

Post by Freddy »

There is this (completed) torrent i'm seeding and the seeds and peers in qBittorrent counts: Seeds 0(1), Peers 0(1300)
When it says seeds 0(1) I would assume that I am the only seeder in the swarm. But yet, there is no traffic for the last 5 days. Port forwarding works like a charm, other torrents are doing just fine. The connection is not the problem. So I do a recheck of the torrent and then the seeds change to 0(16). Where did the other 15 came from? The peers did not change. After the recheck is completed the seed count goes back to 0(1). Where did the other 15 go?

Are all those peers downloading from other peers? And if there are so many peers, then how come there are so few seeds? Do these counts actually work or am I overlooking something?

Bonus question: what does the column Leeches in the tracker information means? Because the number of Leeches is mostly the same number as Peers in my main window. But there is also a column Peers in the tracker information. I'm confused.
Freddy

Re: 1 seed, many peers, no traffic

Post by Freddy »

Maybe my question isn't clear enough so I want to add some screenshots.

At the picture below you can see the Seed/Peer count that I was talking about. This time with an even higher amount of peers. Where are the seeds? And if that 1 seed is me, how is it that I am not uploading anything?

And for the bonus question, how is it that in the tracker information the number of peers does not match the torrent number of peers? Instead, the column Leechers does! What does Leechers mean? And what does the 30 peers mean in the tracker information?

Blondie

Post by Blondie »

[quote="Freddy"]What does Leechers mean? [/quote]
Leecher = downloader (basically)

A leecher is peer that does not have 100% of the download. I think it can also be used in a negative sense, in that it describes a peer with a poor ratio or that doesn't complete whole torrents.
Switeck

Post by Switeck »

qBitTorrent counts as peers ANY ip address ever seen, reported, or "rumored" to be on that torrent -- this can include peers that are now seeds and even get counted as both.
Trackers tend to only count as peers the peers that have announced to them in the last hour or 2.

Fake peers may be the cause...or peers that quickly change their ip address and get reported many times.

Also, you're not connecting to the peers because your qBitTorrent is probably blocked/firewalled -- possibly in multiple ways!
Software firewall, router+LAN ip address use, ISP that blocks incoming connections and/or tries to cripple/block BitTorrent traffic in general, proxy/VPN that prevents incoming connections...may all be to blame.
Freddy

Post by Freddy »

[quote="Switeck"]
qBitTorrent counts as peers ANY ip address ever seen, reported, or "rumored" to be on that torrent -- this can include peers that are now seeds and even get counted as both.
Trackers tend to only count as peers the peers that have announced to them in the last hour or 2.

Fake peers may be the cause...or peers that quickly change their ip address and get reported many times.

Also, you're not connecting to the peers because your qBitTorrent is probably blocked/firewalled -- possibly in multiple ways!
Software firewall, router+LAN ip address use, ISP that blocks incoming connections and/or tries to cripple/block BitTorrent traffic in general, proxy/VPN that prevents incoming connections...may all be to blame.
[/quote]
So allot of peers could be explained. But how about the zero seeds?

Also, my qBittorrent is definitely not blocked/firewalled. I seed lots of torrents and my NAT port works like a charm. The connection is not the problem for not seeding these specific torrents.
Switeck

Post by Switeck »

Seeding torrents do not connect or at least don't STAY connected to other seeds.

There may be more problems with qBitTorrent with regard to seeding/uploading, but I cannot say how/why without more information.

I don't know the nature of your internet connection -- whether it's a "hostile" ISP that mangles BitTorrent traffic, through a proxy/VPN that prevents or at least poorly handles UDP traffic, or using wifi to your router (which often has severe issues with many connections at once.)

It is ODD that your ubuntu torrent screenshot shows ZEROS for DHT, PEX, and LSD -- this further supports my belief that there is some connectivity issue/s that your end has. DHT uses UDP packets, LSD uses multicast (which almost no ISP supports) or possibly UDP packets as fallback, PEX requires existing connections to peers and/or seeds to do anything.

I can't tell from the screenshot of 0 (1) seeding torrents if they're flagged private and/or on a private tracker, which causes extreme connectivity issues in their own right.

Do you get uTP peer and seed connections at all, (which require UDP packet support) even on downloading torrents?