No upload speed when seeding

Windows specific questions, problems.
Sylvers

No upload speed when seeding

Post by Sylvers »

I've been having this problem for some months now, but have only noticed it recently. I'd been using Bigly for a while, but I decided to switch to qBitTorrent, hoping that would fix my problem, but it persisted. Anyway, my issue, is that as soon as a torrent finishes downloading and switches over to a seeding state, the upload speed vanishes entirely, and sits permanently on a 0 B/s. Even though, while the torrent is still downloading, the upload/download speeds seem to function properly (as fine as my internet speed will allow).

I am not very savvy as far as torrent clients, and networking configuration is concerned, so I really don't have any inkling on what might be causing this very specific problem. I would be grateful if I could get any input on the matter.

P.S. I tried the basic solutions I can think of, that is, I checked the firewall settings, made sure UPnP was enabled in my router, and tested this on both Bigly and qBitTorrent.
Switeck

Re: No upload speed when seeding

Post by Switeck »

A few ISPs used to use Sandvine equipment to selectively disconnect seeding torrents to almost completely prevent them from uploading.

You need to watch when a torrent finishes downloading to see if all the peers on the torrent disconnect, because that will at least explain the no uploading bit while a seed. (but not why that happens)

1.Is peers disconnecting happening on private tracker/s?

2.Or does it also happen on poorly-seeded public torrents?