Can no longer download, as of a few months back

Windows specific questions, problems.
Kessilrun

Can no longer download, as of a few months back

Post by Kessilrun »

It's very strange. Out of nowhere, it seems, I can no longer download. My settings were simple:

UPNP
SOCKS 5
My NordVPN login username (email)
My NordVPN pass.
Port 1080
Requires authentication
Use proxy for peer connections
Use proxy for torrents only
DHT

Nothing changed.
So, I figured, maybe my ISP owner modem got a firmware which blocked.

I then unchecked UPNP, switched over to HTTP and port 80, since, well, HTTP/ port 80 is NEVER blocked...nothing. The SOCKS 5 timeout errors went away and Qbittorrent no longer had any complaints in the event log, stating that it was "successfully listening on [insert IP address]. The trackers, however, remained in "Not Working" status. So I shuffled them up/ down and they read updating...nothing. They went back to Not Working. I removed Qbittorrent and went to Bit torrent and uTorrent and set them up as I had in the past. Did not work. I then started up NordVPN on my phone and tried my torrent all in there...it also no longer worked.

I figured I had an OS issue. I was on Windows 7, so decided to finally update my laptop to 10. Fresh install.
Reinstalled Nord and Qbittorrent, on a fresh OS. This time Things were different. With Nord, on my previous OS, there used to be a network interface called "Nord Tap" or something to that effect. This time it was called "Nord Lynx." Otherwise the rules were the same...I set up Qbittorrent for the same as stated above, but still could not get trackers to work. I popped into Advanced settings and noticed that the Interface was set to, I think "Auto." So I forced it to use Nord Lynx and restarted Q. Still couldn't download. I, once again, disabled Socks5 and went HTTP/ port 80. No go. I popped into my router and added 1080 to forwarding and went back to Socks 5...nothing. I went back to HTTP...nothing. I am so at a loss.

Finally, for giggles, I took a chancer and said "screw it." I unchecked "use proxy for peers" and "use proxy only for torrents." I did this while set to HTTP. In the past? If I had a proxy issue disabling these two things always worked because I was unprotected. This was no longer the case.
I uninstalled Qbittorrent and went to an old setup I had used in the past. I downloaded Ultrasurf and went back to Utorrent. This also did not work! Note that the entire time basic internet always worked. So I did have network. All of this also encompassed weeks of trials. So it was not an outage. It would appear I can no longer download torrents even while unprotected.

Other things tried:

I've also tried ethernet direct to modem

I've ied NordVPN's new service username/ password format which is no longer email and password, but extremely long characters which you can paste into your torrent app.

I've tried disabling DHT

Open DNS addresses (on my main network adapter)

Nothing works!

Mind you I've bypassed Nord all together and went back to Ultrasurf, which ALWAYS worked, and while I had internet/ could surf the net I could not download torrents, still.
Kessilrun

Re: Can no longer download, as of a few months back

Post by Kessilrun »

Sorry for the typos and autocorrect issues.