different download (incomplete) and save directories, per torrent

Linux specific questions, problems.
progref

different download (incomplete) and save directories, per torrent

Post by progref »

By default, I'd like to have all torrents download to a temp directory, and then move when complete to a directory that sonarr monitors. To set up the temp download dir, I've turned on the "Keep incomplete torrents in" option. So far, so good.

Now I want to (manually) add some torrents that I want to store (both incomplete and when they're done) on a different filesystem than my default. Using "set location" only changes the final move location for complete torrents - they still download to the incomplete torrents temp dir I previously set up. But if I turn off "keep incomplete torrents in", then I lose the ability to have completed torrents moved to a final destination.

Is there any way to achieve what I want? I.e., two separate download dirs, and two separate completed dirs.
codeeater

Re: different download (incomplete) and save directories, per torrent

Post by codeeater »

I know you are asking for a solution for your plan.

But Sonarr can automatically injecting task to qbit, after the download finish, the file will be auto imported into Sonarr/Radarr.
Would you want to tell why you don't use the normal auto handling, but want to use your own 'destination Sonarr watches'?
progref

Post by progref »

The problem is not with Sonarr-initiated torrents specifically. I just would like to keep the temp/complete folders for some torrents on one filesystem, and (for reasons of disk space) the temp/download for other torrents on another filesystem.

For instance, shows that I'm going to watch immediately on filesystem X, and large torrents that I'm using only to improve me seed ratio on filesystem Y. It seems like the only way to do this is not to use a temp directory at all, and allocate torrents to different destinations only. The problem with this is that it leaves a bunch of half-downloaded torrents lying around in my "watch immediately" folder.
j2f

Post by j2f »

I have a scenario that may support this

My configuration is qBittorrent running on Linux with NFS mounts as follows:

mp-incomplete
mp-complete-1
mp-complete-2

All new torrents start downloading to mp-incomplete and then move to mp-complete-1 when done. This works like clockwork with no issues

Some existing torrents remain in a completed state with a destination of mp-complete-2. An update to one of these existing torrents is released, is manually added to qBittorrent, selecting mp-complete-2 as the location. Verification begins, finding files successfully. If the torrent is actually still complete (nothing has changed in the updated torrent), the files remain in the target destination of mp-complete-2 as is. If the verification doesn't find all the files due to updates in the torrent, ALL files are moved from mp-complete-2 to mp-incomplete before downloading the rest and then moving ALL files back to mp-complete-2

This scenario may be ok if you're not using NFS and all directories are local to your server. But given the fact this torrent is quite large and the update is only a small subset, that means, over my network, the following occurs:

Large amounts of data (full previous set) are moved from mp-complete-2 to mp-incomplete
A small amount of data (subset) is downloaded at which point the torrent is now complete
Large amounts of data (full updated set) are moved from mp-incomplete back to mp-complete-2

Note that this does not occur in Transmission. That client will leave the previously completed files on mp-complete-2 throughout the process, only downloading the updates to mp-incomplete before moving those to mp-complete-2 when done

I would prefer functionality similar to that in Transmission, where the files are not moved at all but are processed in-place on mp-complete-2
progref

Post by progref »

Thanks for the reply. In my case, I specifically wanted two separate *incomplete* areas, because the torrents in the second group are huge and long-running, maintained only for the purpose of increasing my seed ratio. I wanted to tuck them off somewhere on another filesystem that had more space, while my more interesting torrents continued going to the primary incomplete/complete areas.

In other words, two groups of torrents downloading to two different filesystems while incomplete, while preserving the ability to have completed torrents automatically move out of their respective incomplete directories.

The short-term solution is that I just bought bigger disks.