Utilizing full upload speed

Other platforms, generic questions.
Freddy

Utilizing full upload speed

Post by Freddy »

I am seeding 100+ torrents. Most of them have plenty of activity with sometimes more than 20 active peers. I have a fiber internet connection with 500Mbps upload. My port forwarding has been setup and my network can take the load. But my problem is that I don't see any high speed uploads. Sure, sometimes I reach a total of 4MiB/s but that's nowhere near my theoretical limit.

I have tested many settings like disk cache and watermark but nothing seems to really make a difference. How to configure qBittorrent so that it can be compared with a seedbox?
FireExit

Re: Utilizing full upload speed

Post by FireExit »

What is your maximum upload slot count? If low, you wont max out unless you hit a peer with also a high download speed.

-FireExit
Freddy

Post by Freddy »

20 slots per upload, 200 global maximum.
200 maximum connections per torrent, 2000 global maximum connections.

My stats say that the number of connected peers is moving between 180 and 200.
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

You cannot just adjust values to become #1 seeder. You CANNOT compete with seedboxes.
Seedboxes use NVMe SSDs, or high performance RAID10 arrays, with insane amount of ram caches.
That's paired with at least 1gbps, but often 10-20gbps of capacity IN A DATACENTER.

So let me recap:
- GREAT international bandwidth & speeds.
- Super fast IO.
- Super strong CPU dedicated to this task.
- Enterprise-grade network equipment, switches, routers.

Your measly home connection that tests 500mbps at a local speedtest site is nothing compared to that.
Why do I say all of this? Because it's how the internet works. I have a 1gbps home connection, and I do test 990mbps on my own speedtest.
But what if I try to transfer something from the qBittorrent website servers? I get maybe 20mbps?
Basically, international bandwidth is just so much worse than what you get as advertised.

So how come you max out download speeds via torrent? Easy, you get 500 peers, from all directions, giving you data.
But seeding? You may get let's say 5 peers that want data SUPER FAST and you only have some weak speed to each. That won't ever max upload speeds.
(Also keep in mind, those 5 peers might be one of those seedboxes that will instantly spread the received data, way faster than you.)

Home connection in 2020 can only be used to keep torrents alive for a long time. It's the core idea of torrent so there is nothing wrong with that. But I know, some sites still ask for you to buffer. I recommend just purchasing a seedbox, buffer, and then torrent like a sane human being.
Freddy

Post by Freddy »

My torrent machine has a NVMe SSD, high performance CPU and loads of ram. But what is way more important is to understand how bittorrent handles connections. Because from what I know, a client does not know how fast your connection is until it is actually downloading. So maybe I am missing something but if a peer does not know which seed is fastest than why should it prefer a seedbox over any other seed? And if the peer is from the same region as the seed than there would be really no reason not to download at full speed.

The only advantage of a seedbox in a datacenter seems to be his potentially higher bandwidth and lower latency. All the other things can easily be done with a home pc. So it doesn't really answer the question.
iliast

Post by iliast »

Did you find any answer or solution Freddy?
I have 100 Mpp/s connection and still my upload is SOME KBs (!). And not 100 torrents like you, but only some torrents (usually 10-20).
Let me know plz... Ty.
Freddy

Post by Freddy »

iliast wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 2:31 am Did you find any answer or solution Freddy?
I have 100 Mpp/s connection and still my upload is SOME KBs (!). And not 100 torrents like you, but only some torrents (usually 10-20).
Let me know plz... Ty.
Did you configure port forwarding correctly? That's the first thing anyone should do when dealing with slow uploads because only with correct port forwarding you can seed properly.
iliast

Post by iliast »

Freddy wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:25 pm
iliast wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 2:31 am Did you find any answer or solution Freddy?
Let me know plz... Ty.
Did you configure port forwarding correctly? That's the first thing anyone should do when dealing with slow uploads because only with correct port forwarding you can seed properly.
Oh yes!