All things wrong with qbittorrent

Other platforms, generic questions.
microchip8

All things wrong with qbittorrent

Post by microchip8 »

A small list

1) Why can't I import an already existing torrent for seeding only? What's up with that?

2) What's up with the ugly custom icons? Why not use KDE4's default ones? qbittorrent ones are so out of place.

3) Every time a torrent nears download completion, qbittorrent enters into 100% CPU mode, the torrent slows down to a crawl and I have to restart qbittorrent just so it can finish the last pieces of the torrent. what's up with that?

4) I still don't see anywhere an option to stop downloading after a torrent has been pulled in. Even though that feature is mentioned in the ChangeLog. Where is it, or do I need to hire a detective to find it?

5) Each time I want to create a torrent, I have to copy and paste trackers. This is getting boring. Better remember trackers entered by the user and offer them as list next time he tries to create a torrent.

6) Every time qbittorrent is started, it defaults to displaying the "General" tab. Why can't it remember the last tab I was looking at. I often have the "Peers" one and each time I fire up the client, it goes back to "General". What's up with that?

7) Why can't qbittorrent pull in a *compressed* IP blocklits from a URL (eg, bluetack & co). Or do you think I'll manually pull it, decompress, move it to the right location so that qbittorrent can "see" and use it? Can you say retarded? I sure can! ;)

8) Where is the "Downloaded" and "Uploaded" amount next to each torrent??? What's up with that, or is there more retardation involved?

.... food for thought..... :)
christophe.dumez

Re: All things wrong with qbittorrent

Post by christophe.dumez »

1) wrong, this works fine.
2) this work is in progress
3) Looks like a libtorrent bug (not a qbittorrent bug). please make sure you have the latest libtorrent
4) I don't understand what you mean by "pulled in"?
5) Good idea
6) Good idea
7) Good idea
8) It is there. right click on the transfer list header and show these columns
microchip8

Post by microchip8 »

[quote=""christophe.dumez""]1) wrong, this works fine.
2) this work is in progress
3) Looks like a libtorrent bug (not a qbittorrent bug). please make sure you have the latest libtorrent
4) I don't understand what you mean by "pulled in"?
5) Good idea
6) Good idea
7) Good idea
8) It is there. right click on the transfer list header and show these columns[/quote]

1) How? Where can I find this? I look in "File" and only see "Add File" and "Add URL". In "Add File", it asks me for a .torrent file. When I select one, there is no way to specify its data location and select "seeding mode". It really isn't obvious to me in qbittorrent how to open existing torrent, specify its data location and start seeding it. It's so simple in KTorrent. All you have to do in KTorrent is point to the torrent file, point to its data, click "OK" and off you go seeding.

2) good to know :)

3) I'll have to compile then, 'cause the one in my repo's isn't the most recent

4) "pulled in" as in "downloaded", "finished transferring", "complete", etc. Basically, I want to stop the torrent the moment it has been downloaded. Currently, qbittorrent just places that torrent in seeding mode and I have to manually stop it.

8) No it's not! Where is it??? I don't see any Downloaded and Uploaded amount column option. As in, how many MB/GB/etc I have downloaded and upoaded for that torrent

nevernow

Post by nevernow »

About 1), you must have set a default download location for new torrents. In this case you need to redefine the location, you can do the following:

See this screenshot:

Under Information, there's Save Path, then in line with /home/cris.... there's a button with three dots (...) and clicking that you can redefine the download location to point to the files you already have.

This said, I agree that qB's management of file locations and names is a bit messy and should be simplified and harmonized; also, it would be nice to be able to point to a specific file when the torrent consists of a single file, so that file names can differ.

Now can I add a 9) point? :)

I would like to be able to sort the files in the Torrent Content detailed view of each content (in other words, here), just like it is now possible for the Peers detailed view.

And microchip8, be nicer to Chris! :shock:
microchip8

Post by microchip8 »

@nevernow

wow, you almost need a degree in rocket science to figure it out -- do this, click here, go there, find that hidden thing, redefine this, click on that and there you go. How is a newcomer supposed to figure this out? Or is he supposed by default to spend hours reading docs or asking around on forums? I'm sorry to say it, but that thing has been thought up by an amoeba (aka no brain micro organism). Yes, harsh words, but I've spent many hours banging my head on very poorly designed interfaces so it gets up to me at times. What's so difficult to come up with a simple obvious non-hidden thing like the below?

1) in "Add File" add an "Import Torrent" option
2) When selected, it pops up a small GUI where you can set the torrent and data location and click "import".

But noooooo, we have to redefine whole locations, look for hidden almost invisible (...) options and basically pull hairs off until deciding to go spend another half an hour or longer on forums trying to figure out how to do a simple thing that should be very obvious from the beginning. I'm surprised no one has complained about this or it wouldn't stay as it is now for so long.

Sorry for harsh tone today, but it's a funny day. Had to fight with FOUR different brain dead interfaces today (qbittorrent being one of them) :(
christophe.dumez

Post by christophe.dumez »

Enable the torrent addition dialog from program preferences. Whenever you add a torrent, it will ask you for its save path and if you want to start seeding it.
It is disabled as a default because the is NOT a normal user's usage.

I do agree that it would be better to add an "Import torrent" though. I 'll probably add this soon. Also note that qBittorrent is an open source project with only one active developer. If you are a developer, your help is obviously welcome. The biggest issue is my lack of time, not the lack of ideas to improve qBittorrent...
microchip8

Post by microchip8 »

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the tip. Will try it out and again sorry for the harsh tone, but it's a strange day today for me :S

I'm trying to move over from KTorrent because while IMHO it has a very intuitive interface, I've had countless issues with it hogging the CPU at almost 70% when downloading 5-6 torrents at a time (an no, peers amount wasn't high at all). From my testing (which span many months comparing different clients) I concluded that it isn't that fast as claimed either. qBittorrent always seems to outperform it *and* has a much lower CPU burden even if total peers is higher in it compared to the same test on KTorrent.

But, as I move over, there were a few issues I had with qB so I came here. I've been trying it on and off for almost a year now, but always went back to KTorrent mainly because of these issues in my first post

I'm not really a programmer (if you don't count writing advanced bash scripts) but I have plenty of experience in usability design for interfaces so when I encountered qB, in an instant it became obvious to me what could be improved from usability POV. Also I lack the time currently myself to help out on any project (heck, can't even push out new versions of my scripts).
nevernow

Post by nevernow »

@microchip8: I agree that specific feature is convoluted, unintuitive and misplaced, but at least it's there and since I knew it, I wanted to share the knowledge. What Chris said is also true, in that the average usage by the average user doesn't need that feature, but one truth doesn't necessarily invalidate the other. ;)

@Chris: could you please take a look at this:
[quote=""nevernow""]
Now can I add a 9) point? :)

I would like to be able to sort the files in the Torrent Content detailed view of each content (in other words, here), just like it is now possible for the Peers detailed view.
[/quote]
Thanks!
microchip8

Post by microchip8 »

@nevernow

I actually disagree on that somewhat. Even if some feature doesn't get used that often by the "average user" this should not imply that you should make it as hidden/unintuitive as possible. In a cleanly, intuitive designed interface, one strives to make it in a way so that no matter what feature the user may need at some point, it should always be as obvious as possible to figure it out if he needs to use it, regardless if that feature will be barely used by most. In case you may need it (and you can't really predict in advance if you will or will not need it at some point), it should be easy to figure out. Not spend half an hour or more on your own trying to get it work and then seek help on forums. Most would have given up already, unlike me :)

So, I really hope Chris does something about it (and the other points above) so I can throw away KTorrent at last
nevernow

Post by nevernow »

[quote=""microchip8""]@nevernow
I actually disagree on that somewhat. Even if some feature doesn't get used that often by the "average user" this should not imply that you should make it as hidden/unintuitive as possible. [...][/quote]
I actually agree with you. What I meant is that it makes sense not to always ask unnecessary questions before performing simple tasks (think the new Microsoft "security model" where you need to blindly click Yes in a popup before trivial activities are actually performed); but whenever a feature or an option is made available, it should be as clear and useable as possible.