Ratio issue

Other platforms, generic questions.
hyperion1is

Ratio issue

Post by hyperion1is »

I didn't know where to post this, since is not OS related issue, as far as I can tell. This problem is on Linux as well as Windows.
I'm having problems with making a good ratio, at least 1.0.
I know, you may say that it depends and it may subjective since I don't have hard data, but:
On uTorrent I didn't had much trouble to get 1.0 ratio for a torrent.
In Windows (7) on qbt on Connexion icon (down) is show Connected with green.
On Linux Mint I have a issue, not sure which. I have to check for DHT in preferences and it works. It shows connected with green but with a different icon.
Also: Selecting a torrent, Trackers: only one is active at any given time even if I download from a public site which has multiple trackers for a specific torrent.
A tracker shows: Working.
The other ones: It hasn't been contacted yet.
On Transmission client(which comes with my distro) this is not the case. It contacts multiple trackers. I don't know if this makes a difference since I'm interest more about making ratio on private trackers.

I hope it makes sense what I wrote. I will post screenshots if it's the case. I have my client in Romanian language and I'm not sure if I got the English terminology right.
Nemo
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Ratio issue

Post by Nemo »

I don't know what to say about this, but all I can say from my experience is that im never had any issues concerning ratio with any client. Only thing that is important is that there are (enough) leechers to who you can upload to. On open trackers its easy most of the time but with private trackers it could be a little harder to upload;

- There is always enough seeders.
- Seedboxes that are active.

Combine these 2 together and the leechers download cap is being reached quite fast which can result into slow uploading and slow increase of ratio. At the end it will reach 1.0 or higher, im always reaching around 9/10.0 ratio before I pause it and seed it now and then if still needed.

Do you have ''announce to all trackers'' active within the options on the advanced tab? This is handy to gather eventually more peers with open trackers but with private trackers it isn't. They are mostly using only 1 tracker from their own with your identity connected to it so it wouldn't make any difference if you would announce to all trackers.
hyperion1is

Post by hyperion1is »

Tnx Nemo. The "announce to all trackers" thing wasn't active. Now it is. The other things you said I already knew, except for Seedboxes. What are those?
How I said. On uTorrent things were a little different concerning ratio. No much difference now, but to be fair I keep lately the PC off more than before so...
Anyhow, I just wanted to know if I'm missing something
Nemo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nemo »

A seedbox is a private server used for the uploading and downloading of digital files.

Seedboxes generally make use of the BitTorrent protocol for uploading and downloading, although they have also been used on the eDonkey2000 network. Seedboxes are usually connected to a high speed network, often with a throughput of 100 Mbit/s or even 1 Gbit/s. Some providers are testing and offering 10 Gbit/s shared servers, while others are developing other systems that will allow users to scale their needs on the fly. Files are downloaded from the torrent site and its users, and from there they can be downloaded at high speeds to a user's personal computer via the HTTP, FTP, SFTP, or rsync protocols. This allows for anonymity and, usually, removes the need to worry about ratio. Seedboxes can run on most major operating systems (Windows, Linux, or Mac OS X). More expensive seedboxes may provide VNC connection, or remote desktop protocol on some Windows-based seedboxes, allowing many popular clients to be run remotely. Other seedboxes are special purpose and run a variety of torrent specific software including web interfaces of popular clients like Transmission, rTorrent, Deluge, and ?Torrent, as well as the TorrentFlux web interface clients. Mobile interface support is also offered by clients such as Transmission.

Seedboxes on high speed networks are typically able to download large files within minutes, provided that the swarm can actually handle such a high upload bandwidth. Seedboxes generally have download and upload speeds of 100 Mbit/s. This means that a 1 GB file can finish downloading in under two minutes. That same 1 GB file can be uploaded to other users in the same amount of time, creating a 1:1 upload:download ratio for that individual file. Seedboxes' ability to transfer files so quickly makes them very attractive to the P2P and BitTorrent communities. Because of the mentioned high speeds, seedboxes tend to be popular inside private torrent trackers, where maintaining an upload/download ratio above 1 can be very important.
Also see here: http://seedboxgui.de/guides/what-is-a-seedbox/
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

You do know that the "ratio" shown in your client may have little to do with the ratio that the tracker will be reporting for your ID.
hyperion1is

Post by hyperion1is »

Yes, but  they shouldn't differ much, no? Unless is something wrong with one of the 2 counters.
Nemo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nemo »

In my years of torrenting I never seen any big difference between the private tracker and client. With qBittorrent the same almost no difference, only few KiB to max. 1 Mib which is fine. Im logging in into the private (tracker) site and check the ratio pretty often from the files that im downloading and seeding.

If there is a big difference I would blame the private site for it for not "recording" your correct ratio, definitly not qBittorrent :D.
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

Post by sledgehammer_999 »

If you import a torrent along with the data files the qbt counter will not show the same as the tracker. The same if for some reason you lose your qbt settings. Otherwise the counters should be the same.
Nemo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nemo »

Yes true. Completed torrents that you add most likely don't have the same ratio cause the counter will start from 0.00 but the torrents that you have downloaded from zero within qBittorrent will be the same.
Last edited by Nemo on Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.