Feature request: Different torrents share progress for same file/pieces

Other platforms, generic questions.
peterd

Feature request: Different torrents share progress for same file/pieces

Post by peterd »

I love qBittorrent, and have been using it for years, but every once in a while I like to see what's out there. I tried Vuze recently, and while it has enough things I didn't like to rule it out for day to day use, one feature it had that I really liked was the ability to recognize when more than one torrent was trying to download the same file (I believe by checksum, as opposed to file name) and to share that progress between the torrents. It may also have been able to identify the same pieces across torrents by checksum, which would actually be more valuable. I also may be totally misunderstanding how it works, I am not an expert on bittorrent internals.  ::)  I believe the features is called swarm discovery.

I like to download some older stuff with very few seeders, so this is a feature that would be very valuable for me. In addition to personal benefit for the individual qBittorrent users, it would also be good for the swarm. I've often found that by doing this technique by hand across multiple torrents it allows people to pick up pieces that they are missing, and encourages folks to stay on longer to share the pieces that they have. I've been able to complete many downloads of older torrents using this method.

This feature would be valuable enough to me that I'd be willing to put up a bounty for its completion.

Please let me know if there is a different/better place to post feature requests.
Last edited by peterd on Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.