Upload Speeds

Other platforms, generic questions.
Sketchy

Upload Speeds

Post by Sketchy »

I have a 1Gbps Down 1Gbps Up fiber op internet connection. When I'm uploading to people with qBittorrent I've noticed that I rarely upload at anywhere near my max upload speed. I mean, sometimes (not often) I upload at ~50MB/s or so, but usually it's more like 35MB/s max. More so, when I'm uploading at a decent clip, it's never because I'm uploading at a very high speed to any individual person, but instead it's because I'm uploading around 500KB/s - 1 MB/s to a whole bunch of people at the same time. When this is happening it's because the file already has lots of seeds and peers but I'd be more interested in uploading at fast speeds to individual users who are getting files that DON'T have lots of seeds/peers. Like if I'm the only seed or peer someone is connected to, I'd love to uploda to them at a very high speed but it NEVER happens.

Often when I am DOWNLOADING at a very nice speed, it's because one peer or seed that I am connected to is uploading to me at like 25MB/s, so why is it that I can't seem to upload to a single individual at that kinda speed? Basically, I'm totally fine with sharing and uploading and what I'm wondering is why is it so hard for me to use more of my available bandwidth to shove the files down the throats of my connected peers just as fast as they are able to take them? I know not everyone has a good internet connection, but certainly some people connecting to me have to be downloading from me far slower than they are capable of.
Switeck

Re: Upload Speeds

Post by Switeck »

There's a few problems in qBitTorrent (and libtorrent which qBT uses) that prevents very high speeds to single/individual peers and seeds.
uTP support is rather slow and worse has considerable packet loss in my LAN and internet tests.
qBitTorrent (and presumably libtorrent) handles upload slots rather poorly and also seems "reluctant" to connect to peers known to be on the torrent, at least compared to uTorrent.
qBT also can be a bit of a CPU hog at high speeds -- and some of its code is single-threaded so once it maxes out a CPU core ...it won't go any faster.
Sketchy

Post by Sketchy »

Well thanks for the reply. It's a bummer to hear that basically there's nothing I can do. I will say though that my overall UL speeds with qBitTorrent are consistently a lot higher than they were with uTorrent, and the general speed in which connections are made and downloads attain full speed is also substantially faster than I had with uTorrent. I used uTorrent for quite a few years and the reasons I mentioned are why I switched over to qBitTorrent in the first place some 6+ months ago or so.

Thanks again for the reply.
Switeck

Post by Switeck »

qBitTorrent is improving if you see even occasional better results than uTorrent.
I pretty much never did with similar or identical torrents loaded, and this despite doing pretty thorough tests in that regard.