Dips in the download speed graph

MAC OS X specific questions, problems.
friendlytherapist

Dips in the download speed graph

Post by friendlytherapist »

Hi, sorry if this is a stupid question but im wondering if these recurring dips in my download speed graph are normal or a problem. Thanks for the time
Attachments
Screen Shot 2016-07-20 at 12.00.30 PM_censored.jpg
KitKat

Re: Dips in the download speed graph

Post by KitKat »

Looks normal since its a small deviation drop and picking up again and not a flatline at 0 which would indicate a connectivity/choke problem.

Probably ping related to a fast seed you're connected to.
More than likely the latency period between you completing a piece and asking for the next one.

That or you're maxing your bandwidth out on shared internet and someone is watching youtube, 200kb/s drop is about the speed needed to watch youtube in 480px without delays.
Switeck

Post by Switeck »

I've seen settings cause similar speed graphs in uTorrent.
What are your settings in qBT?

Also, about how many connected seeds and peers on those torrents? If there's very few, then a single one that's "acting funny" can have a huge influence on your speed graph.
friendlytherapist

Hmm, as far as I know im the only one using the internet right now. QBT should have been the only drain on bandwidth during that above mentioned screenshot. Here is a speed test I just did with no bandwidth use (as I know of). As you can see my ping is decent and speeds are ok, but I never can break past 1000 KiB/s. But that's probably a problem for another post. (settings also posted)
Attachments
Screen Shot 2016-07-21 at 3.33.08 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-07-21 at 3.32.59 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-07-21 at 3.32.45 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-07-21 at 3.26.24 PM.png
Switeck

Post by Switeck »

7.9 Mbps at the speed test translates into about 900-1000 KiloBYTES/second possibly usable download speed in qBitTorrent.
Transport overheads are no doubt flooding out your lower upload while downloading >500 KB/sec.
If you add transport overheads to the rate limits it might download and upload a little smoother.
friendlytherapist

Wow, thats embarrassing! For some reason I though 1000 KiB/s == 1 Mbps. Thats why I thought my speed was so low.. I made the mistake of confusing it with Megabytes and Kilobytes  :-\

How would you suggest adding transport overheads to my rate limits?

Thanks
Switeck

Post by Switeck »

There's a checkbox for counting transport overheads in the limit under Options, Speed, Rate Limit Settings.