Help with pausing seeding

MAC OS X specific questions, problems.
chaoticbeliever

Help with pausing seeding

Post by chaoticbeliever »

Hi guys, I'm very new to torrenting, and I was wondering if someone could help me with managing seeding?

I've heard NUMEROUS times that not seeding is a dick move, since it means that others won't be able to download the file the same way you did, so I am not looking to completely stop it (I think that is leeching, no?).

However, I would also like to be able to temporarily pause this so that there is essentially no torrent activity on my computer. And then when I don't really need to use my computer for anything, I could turn it back on and leave it seeding for that time.

Also, I had downloaded something, and then deleted the item from the transfer list (the file is still on my computer). Is that file still able to be seeded or am I not able to seed it anymore? (Did that make me a leecher?)

Any help would be much appreciated!
chrstphrchvz

Re: Help with pausing seeding

Post by chrstphrchvz »

Pausing a finished torrent will stop it from seeding. Then, when you want to seed it, just un-pause it. Maybe also play around with the upload rate limit to see what works for you.

You might check out the feature in Preferences > Speed > "Alternative rate limits" > "Schedule the use of alternative rate limits". If there is a certain time of day you will or won't be using your computer, then you can use that to increase or reduce the upload rate limit during a set time. To my knowledge there isn't something included in qBittorrent to automatically do this when your computer has been in use during the past x minutes.

If you have already downloaded a file and still have the corresponding .torrent file for it as well, then just open the .torrent file in qBittorrent and making sure the "Save at" path is where the already-downloaded file is. When the torrent is started, qBittorrent will recheck the file's integrity and begin seeding it.

(I don't make the rules for file-sharing sites, but I don't think it's realistic to expect torrent users to seed everything they've downloaded 24/7; not everyone has that luxury. Seeding only when convenient can still go a long ways. If you're concerned about this though, the key thing to watch is your ratio or "reputation" as measured by these sites' trackers.)