Site talk

For the generic offtopic chit-chat
loki

Re: Site talk

Post by loki »

I like the grey one a lot better, I think it's better contrast or something? But the links need a slightly different color, like the default theme uses blue for links. (On second observation maybe it's a slight different grey color which I guess fits the theme but doesn't fit every other post that's the same shade of grey...)
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

Guys, we will have to move again just before September.
GoDaddy costs too much by default, and even though it's always at a "promotional price" if you order a new package, you cannot renew at that price. So basically I'll have to order a NEW package for this price, for one year (for example), and then move there (it's the some provider...but different servers), and ... that's it.

Sounds silly? It is silly.
But if GoDaddy for some weird reason would stop this promotion price, I'll find a different host.
Onemoar

Post by Onemoar »

GoDaddy is terrible anyway
I would go with bluehost

really tho bluehost is awesome
in the ~10 years I have used them I have only had a problem where I had to contact support like 4 times
Last edited by Onemoar on Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

Just like the last time I mentioned, I'm totally open to suggestions!
Even more... I ask you people to suggest!

So Bluehost. I'll look at them.
Wonder if I should refund our Godaddy and just move directly.
I'll check this in the Agreement.. about how long can we ask for a refund.
(Otherwise we will wait until September.)

Update: The Bluehost package is kinda... weird. "More CPU, memory"... what the heck does that even supposed to mean? :) Which package you use One?

To be honest, I loved Alvotech. Having a VPS is much much much more powerful than just a hosting. And damn they were cheap. But cheap in business as well. Lying, being aggressive, etc. So yeah.

To be honest I would be perfectly fine with GoDaddy too.
But paying for a year advance..
Last edited by Peter on Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Onemoar

Post by Onemoar »

I had the enhanced package
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

20$ is horribly overpriced for a web-hosting. That's even more than the best GoDaddy package.
Even more, that can afford you a whole VPS.. or a simple but really-really quality webhosting in this country.

(Companies here tend to have higher prices, but quality comes with that. You get daily, weekly backup, off-site backup, and so on, and so on. Not to mention the beastly host machines. I used Dotroll for a long while back then, and the website was blazing fast. The only reason I changed was the bandwidth limit. 100GB is a lot if you have a static site (like a Wordpress blog), but heck it can be used up. And getting shut down without notice... nope.)
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

On the 4th of June we had 97k page hits (legit, according to Cloudflare). Wow.
Attachments
cloudflare.jpg
Onemoar

Post by Onemoar »

well I know a guy that has a DC in Florida let me give him a ring ;)
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

Post by sledgehammer_999 »

@shiki

What kind of hosting do you want shared or dedicated server? Also what kind of price range. (I am asking mostly out of curiosity)
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

this got quite tl;dr so just read the top... I guess?

Shared of course. There are no advertisements, nor donations of any sort (never asked for any). So price is an important factor.
Now GoDaddy for example for a 4.49$ was an awesome price. The site is fast and stable. Unlimited is surely a buzzword only, but it's alright. (At least I don't have any hard limits to worry about.) The ~10$ monthly price is not that awesome, however. Paying 120$ for a year to keep the site alive, is quite a sum.

So ... around that price? We don't even need a VPS, a GoDaddy like site is perfectly fine. Can set up my domains, my mails, and finally got SSH (to reach my space) and SQL. And I can set up different dbs/users making it more secure of course. Honestly I would just use GoDaddy for a long time. I'm perfectly happy with it.

Alvotech did offer a friendly price. We payed the VK-16 as I mentioned earlier, which is 50.70 euro for 3 months.
But take my advice. NEVER EVER buy anything from them. They literally got you. You cannot escape, you cannot cancel.

(I'll post my story in a new topic so it can be searched via Google.)

So to sum up our history!
We've been to Dotroll at first (that was like... 14,000 huf / year (only 60 bucks)). Which was a pretty good price. But it also had a small disk space, and a small bandwidth limit. I don't want to abuse anything, but getting my site locked because I may get a lot of visits is just silly.

Then Alvotech was good for a long period of time. Then they started taking servers down randomly, there were random outages. Read the story, really.

And now GoDaddy. Great promotional price, not so great normal one. (You can only renew for full price.)
I know it's not much for a US Citizen, but I'm a yuropoor. (Like many of us here.)

My friend told me... that I should put up some advertisement. Like Google Ads or something. No I don't mean to monetize YOU people or become any "evil" here. It would be open (just as the stats and analytics), and it would _only_ go for the server / site fee. Too bad it won't pay too much... if any, at all. (Heck, I don't even worry about you fellow "core members", as I suppose many of use blocking softwares.)

But is it really "OK" for an open-source software related forum to have such a thing?
Even for a limited amount of time?
I have my doubts. I hate advertisements, and I sure many of you do, too.

(We could still go to Tuxfamily, but they really, really state so many times that they do not care about your site and data... I don't want to risk that. I know they do it all for free and I do respect that, it's just I don't want to lose any data.)
Last edited by Peter on Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

Just answering to a part of your post:

Since you want something aroung ~5$/month. I would tell you to take a look at bluehost.com if you pay for 12months you get 6.95/month. The other one that I would tell you was fatcow.com but it is closer to ~10/month.
I never used any of these, but I keep hearing about them all over the net. Do a search for "top web hosting" and they come quite often in various lists.
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

Hmm. Bluehost is the one with the "almost $5" price then they pop up that window at sign up.
(That it really costs $9.5 if you want resources.)

But... but that Fat Cow... looks really promising. Same as GoDaddy's promotional price.
I'll keep a close eye on that one.
Onemoar

Post by Onemoar »

how about moving the board's domain to http://www.qbittorrent.org/forums
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

That's just an alias. Would be a simple redirect. qBittorrent (the main site) is hosted by Sourceforge.
They don't host forums. (Only their crappy in-built "discussion" something. Well, it's free.)

So far I'm trying to resolve this, that Cow thing will be just fine.
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

forum.qbittorrent.org redirects here.