Torrents won't seed? How to force?

Windows specific questions, problems.
phantomtrax

Torrents won't seed? How to force?

Post by phantomtrax »

New and inexperienced with torrent stuff, bear with me.
Recently i realised that i'm never really seeding anything - most of the time all my torrents are stuck at 0 b/s upload speed, and when they do seed, it's 2 or 3 random torrents which makes sense considering the upload rate limit. When i try to make a torrent seed manually, it still stays not doing anything. How do i force a torrent to seed? When i right-click > force resume it doesn't do anything so i'm assuming there's something else i need to do. I'm peeved about this because i have a few torrents that people basically never seed and i do want to help with that.
Zoloft

Re: Torrents won't seed? How to force?

Post by Zoloft »

The most likely answer to this question, assuming you are set up properly, is no one wants or needs the torrent at the moment. Until someone needs it, you have no one to seed to
phantomtrax

Post by phantomtrax »

Zoloft wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:34 am The most likely answer to this question, assuming you are set up properly, is no one wants or needs the torrent at the moment. Until someone needs it, you have no one to seed to
The problem is i did have a person who wanted the torrent. There was clearly a number in the peers section, but it still wouldn't start uploading
Zoloft

Post by Zoloft »

and how many OTHER seeds were there? Just because there appears to be a peer, that is not any guarantee you are needed. The peer may be getting all the seed he needs from others, who have better routing/connection than you do. Or, if it's a multi part torrent, maybe that peer is "part seeding" meaning they've downloaded all they want/need, but, because they don't have the whole torrent, they still will show as a peer.

Bottom line, read the documentation, make sure you have set everything up properly for your system, make sure your port is forwarded, and then. . . wait. I'm currently seeding more than 1100 torrents, and the vast majority of the time, absolutely nothing is actively uploading.