All torrents are stalled and refuse to start!

Linux specific questions, problems.
Nemo
Administrator
Administrator

Re: All torrents are stalled and refuse to start!

Post by Nemo »

Exactly.. Thanks ciao for writing and confirming my thoughts.
Nili

Post by Nili »

Nemo, You're right logically but... let me explain...

When I want to switch off my system I have a working principle. [1] Pause all Torrents. [2] Close qBittorrent [3] Unmount All disks "except /" [4] Shutdown system.

When i start approach differs [1] Start the System [2] Make sure all my disks which have torrent files are mounted and running... [3] Open qBittorrent [4] Resume.

If i follow this way I'm sure there will be no problem. But look where stalled lie... if qBittorrent doesn't find the path "how must react properly for good?"

Why i start seeding when my disk is unmounted? simply because i forget to mount the disk, i have 10 External HDD which i seed from all of them, as human may i forget one time mounting one of them, and here begins the dilemma, the disk i forgot to mount qBittorrent show the torrents stalled and the worse is can't recovered or force start anymore where is displayed stalled. Only Purge / Remove / Install the client is a fix but... no practical.

Suggestion in my opinion, when the driver path does not exist for some reason qBittorrent should decided as pending x disk, something uT have done like (Disk error) Win and Tixati @Linux.

Hope you understand what i mean, this stalled problem is one of the reasons that I am not in this boat for years. I love lightweight of qBittorrent.

Thank you.
Last edited by Nili on Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

simply because i forget to mount the disk,
That's not a problem that needs to be solved by qBT developers, that is 100% your problem in managing your system.
reason qBittorrent should decided as pending x disk,
It already does, ..... in the execution log.
Nili

Post by Nili »

[quote="ciaobaby"]
That's not a problem that needs to be solved by qBT developers, that is 100% your problem in managing your system.
[/quote]

The message above is that what create stalled not how i manage my system.

Thanks for your comment.
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

Post by sledgehammer_999 »

From reading the source the "stalled" is applied to torrents that are DOWNLOADING and the download payload rate(ie down speed) is ZERO.
I don't understand why your torrent displays "stalled" when you forget to mount the disk. On my system when the save-path isn't accessible the torrent throws an error and it is paused.
Does the log say something about an error?
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

Yes, but to repeat the question,  if you try and start a job when the mount location  is not there and therefore the payload cannot be located to service any requests, what do you expect to happen?

Because the job is not going to start, therefore it has stalled, because the verb 'stalled' (in this context) means "to cease making progress", libtorrent does not know WHY it has stopped, it has simply detected that there is no progress for this task so it reports it as 'stalled'.
Nili

Post by Nili »

Hello sledgehammer_999, thanks for your input

Here is the log.

19/03/2014 13:55:57 - File sizes mismatch for torrent Yeogo goedam II - Memento Mori [FLAC], pausing it.
19/03/2014 13:55:57 - qBittorrent is successfully listening on interface :: port: TCP/35000
19/03/2014 13:55:57 - qBittorrent is successfully listening on interface 0.0.0.0 port: TCP/35000
19/03/2014 13:55:56 - '/home/nili/.local/share/data/qBittorrent/BT_backup/7e59f51471bb67d2b30c691cea84d89a03c9741b.torrent' resumed. (fast resume)
19/03/2014 13:55:56 - Options were saved successfully.
19/03/2014 13:55:56 - Embedded Tracker [OFF]
19/03/2014 13:55:56 - Encryption support [ON]
19/03/2014 13:55:56 - Local Peer Discovery support [ON]
19/03/2014 13:55:56 - PeX support [ON]
19/03/2014 13:55:56 - DHT support [ON], port: UDP/50000
19/03/2014 13:55:56 - Anonymous mode [OFF]
19/03/2014 13:55:56 - HTTP user agent is qBittorrent v3.1.8
19/03/2014 13:55:56 - UPnP / NAT-PMP support [OFF]
19/03/2014 13:55:56 - qBittorrent is trying to listen on any interface port: TCP/35000
19/03/2014 13:55:56 - Peer ID: -qB4441-

And here is the stalled image.

Please anyone can confirm for me this one.
Open a fresh installed qBittorrent, download a single file like x.mp3 to a External HDD or USB then pause, after exit qBittorrent, unmount HDD/USB via "udisks --unmount /dev/path" Open qBittorrent and Resume the mp3, I stand here Stalled.

ciaobaby, I understand your message But what way can we find to avoid this moment? people may forget to mount disk first and instead we open qBittorrent/Resume without mounting disk, here stalled appear and does not return the file on seed again via menu or toolbar Resume.

I don't know how other client like uT or Tixati have solved more or less like a option force start when the path is present. Because after mounting my hdd/usb the stalled not leave anymore. Please do a test and check and you will understand even better yourself.

There is something else, The file appear like Downloading again when infact it was downloaded before, paused / exiting /unmount and reopened with resume without path mounted=Stalled. Ok so should function like this, but I wish to do a force resume when the path is active and start seeding not leaving stalled for eternity.

Thank you.
Regards,

Running #! Crunchbang 11 Waldorf, qBittorrent 3.1.8 via debian pckg but remember a years ago have tested even on Ubuntu 12.04, 12.10. Linux Mint 14 or 15.

Nili
Last edited by Nili on Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

[quote="Nili"]
19/03/2014 13:55:56 - Peer ID: -qB4441-[/quote]

wtf? This should be -qB3180- Did you compile yourself v3.1.8? (also latest is 3.1.9)

[quote="Nili"]
And here is the stalled image. [/quote]

Click "general" button. Does the save path point to your unmounted location?

[quote="Nili"]
Please anyone can confirm for me this one.
Open a fresh installed qBittorrent, download a single file like x.mp3 to a External HDD or USB then pause, after exit qBittorrent, unmount HDD/USB via "udisks --unmount /dev/path" Open qBittorrent and Resume the mp3, I stand here Stalled.[/quote]

I'll try it sometime in the weekend. Feel free to ping me again for this.

[quote="Nili"]ciaobaby, I understand your message But what way can we find to avoid this moment? people may forget to mount disk first and instead we open qBittorrent/Resume without mounting disk, here stalled appear and does not return the file on seed again via menu or toolbar Resume.

I don't know how other client like uT or Tixati have solved more or less like a option force start when the path is present. Because after mounting my hdd/usb the stalled not leave anymore. Please do a test and check and you will understand even better yourself.

There is something else, The file appear like Downloading again when infact it was downloaded before, paused / exiting /unmount and reopened with resume without path mounted=Stalled. Ok so should function like this, but I wish to do a force resume when the path is active and start seeding not leaving stalled for eternity.

Thank you.
Regards,[/quote]

There sure is a way to make it behave more civilised. I think there is already a similar bug report on the bug tracker, and I might have tagged it for 3.2.x.

[quote="Nili"]qBittorrent 3.8.2[/quote]
I hope this is a typo.

Also for the time being test this:
1. Open qbt while "forgetting" to mount a disk
2. Resume one torrent that points to that disk.
3. Does it automatically pause or does it go to "stalled"?
4. Exit qbt without pausing that torrent(test again with pausing)
5. Mount the disk
6. Launch qbt. That torrent should be able to resume now. Can you confirm?
Nili

Post by Nili »

[quote="sledgehammer_999"]
wtf? This should be -qB3180- Did you compile yourself v3.1.8? (also latest is 3.1.9)[/quote]
Sorry, my fault here, mistook as peerid like in a private tracker so i changed with hand :| real is 19/03/2014 15:58:52 - Peer ID: -qB3180-
Click "general" button. Does the save path point to your unmounted location?[/quote]
No, i started seeding to /media/nili/(filename) while on qB Settings/Download show "/home/nili/downloads" I think must have saved as the last path added or seeded?
let see:

Code: Select all

19/03/2014 16:05:18 - Peer ID: -qB3180-
19/03/2014 16:05:34 - '/home/nili/Yeogo goedam II - Memento Mori [FLAC].torrent' added to download list.
19/03/2014 16:05:19 - External IP: xxx.xxx.xx.x
19/03/2014 16:05:19 - qBittorrent is successfully listening on interface :: port: TCP/35000
19/03/2014 16:05:19 - qBittorrent is successfully listening on interface 0.0.0.0 port: TCP/35000
19/03/2014 16:05:18 - Options were saved successfully.
19/03/2014 16:05:18 - Embedded Tracker [OFF]
19/03/2014 16:05:18 - Encryption support [ON]
19/03/2014 16:05:18 - Local Peer Discovery support [ON]
19/03/2014 16:05:18 - PeX support [ON]
19/03/2014 16:05:18 - DHT support [ON], port: UDP/35000
19/03/2014 16:05:18 - Anonymous mode [OFF]
19/03/2014 16:05:18 - HTTP user agent is qBittorrent v3.1.8
19/03/2014 16:05:18 - UPnP / NAT-PMP support [ON]
19/03/2014 16:05:18 - qBittorrent is trying to listen on any interface port: TCP/35000
1rst act) And here i prove to added and seeded 100% successfully without pause and without unmount/mount stuff. While Settings/Download trunk in home/downloads here as default. I don't know i should change it? but do not seem correct because I have many different directory and hdd to seed.
I'll try it sometime in the weekend. Feel free to ping me again for this.[/quote]
Thank you for the interest.
There sure is a way to make it behave more civilised. I think there is already a similar bug report on the bug tracker, and I might have tagged it for 3.2.x.[/quote]
Thanks once again, that's good to know, really hope for a solution, i think i read what you talking about i read some month ago but never bothering to reply :( i think you're talking about this issue I'm in the same position with the guy that opened that thread/ticket.
I hope this is a typo.[/quote]
misspell :( can't believe i'm too drunk or just sleepz :( i want to mean 3.1.8-2 (will arrange to leave confusion) sorry.
Also for the time being test this:
1. Open qbt while "forgetting" to mount a disk
2. Resume one torrent that points to that disk.
3. Does it automatically pause or does it go to "stalled"?
4. Exit qbt without pausing that torrent(test again with pausing)
5. Mount the disk
6. Launch qbt. That torrent should be able to resume now. Can you confirm?
[/quote]
I'll definitely make this test. Let start:

1. I did this, after seeding a while... exited qBittorent without pause. Just file/exit.
2. Unmount path disk with udisks --unmount /dev/path
3. Opened qBittorrent. Appear as Paused. In a private tracker where I do seed the file Yeogo "above pic" as seeders now i'm shown as a Leachers while I should get out a GUESS WHAT? Nothing just Disk Error No leechers and No seeders. Seems qB want to download the file Yeogo again because did not find the path.
4) Resumed and appear as Stalled from this moment cannot seeded anymore and stalled cannot leave "at least not trying to download again" because i've seen worse start downloading by dropping undertakes the same files and so break completely the file.

To make it working again i should purge qB remove all his folder/cache in home and install again and not play with unmount disk but This accident of unmount/mount disk happen and here where the stalled lie most of time for users i think.

I really hope I've been clear. Now i know why i never bothered reply on that issue from github because it is too complicated to enter into such depth and I thought I'll not be understood.  :D
If you want make a test with uTorrent or Tixati how they react when the disk is not present. They just show (Disk error) to the transfer list. But when that disk becomes present after mounted manualy a force start button help seeding where last remained.

Thanks a lot for your time and effort, After this issue you'll find a solution I'll would gladly use.

Regards,
Nili
Last edited by Nili on Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

[quote="Nili"]
No, i started seeding to /media/nili/(filename) while on qB Settings/Download show "/home/nili/downloads" I think must have saved as the last path added or seeded?[/quote]
When the path isn't found it reverts to the default location(set in the options). However, it should resume download normally in that *new* location. I don't know why it doesn't download.

[quote="Nili"]
3. Opened qBittorrent. Appear as Paused. In a private tracker where I do seed the file Yeogo "above pic" as seeders now i'm shown as a Leachers while I should get out a GUESS WHAT? Nothing just Disk Error No leechers and No seeders. Seems qB want to download the file Yeogo again because did not find the path.[/quote]

At this point the torrent shows as paused. Look at the log. Does it have an entry for that torrent and why it was paused? (it must have something)
[quote="Nili"]
4) Resumed and appear as Stalled from this moment cannot seeded anymore and stalled cannot leave "at least not trying to download again" because i've seen worse start downloading by dropping undertakes the same files and so break completely the file.[/quote]
Repeat the test BUT don't resume the torrent before exiting the app
Nili

Post by Nili »

When the path isn't found it reverts to the default location(set in the options). However, it should resume download normally in that *new* location. I don't know why it doesn't download.[/quote]

Indeed, Simply need to memorize automatically whereabouts of path and always save it until the file deleted by the user.

At this point the torrent shows as paused. Look at the log. Does it have an entry for that torrent and why it was paused? (it must have something)[/quote]

The Log is the same as above, anyway here it is again.

Code: Select all

20/03/2014 09:20:46 - Peer ID: -qB3180-
20/03/2014 09:20:47 - File sizes mismatch for torrent Yeogo goedam II - Memento Mori [FLAC], pausing it.
20/03/2014 09:20:47 - qBittorrent is successfully listening on interface :: port: TCP/6881
20/03/2014 09:20:47 - qBittorrent is successfully listening on interface 0.0.0.0 port: TCP/6881
20/03/2014 09:20:46 - '/home/nili/.local/share/data/qBittorrent/BT_backup/7e59f51471bb67d2b30c691cea84d89a03c9741b.torrent' resumed. (fast resume)
20/03/2014 09:20:46 - Options were saved successfully.
20/03/2014 09:20:46 - Embedded Tracker [OFF]
20/03/2014 09:20:46 - Encryption support [ON]
20/03/2014 09:20:46 - Local Peer Discovery support [OFF]
20/03/2014 09:20:46 - PeX support [OFF]
20/03/2014 09:20:46 - DHT support [OFF]
20/03/2014 09:20:46 - Anonymous mode [OFF]
20/03/2014 09:20:46 - HTTP user agent is qBittorrent v3.1.8
20/03/2014 09:20:46 - UPnP / NAT-PMP support [OFF]
20/03/2014 09:20:46 - qBittorrent is trying to listen on any interface port: TCP/6881
Logs looks clean to me?

To be clear, I know should react so , at least how logs says is correct. mismatch because there is no path.
A force start in right click menu when the path is present is the key to remove this Stalled stuff. Like a urge call the file in the specified path.

uT resolved by a force start this abnormal behavior

Repeat the test BUT don't resume the torrent before exiting the app[/quote]

here is the test without resume. Red, Paused but as you can see on sidepanel says Downloading...when there shouldn't be because this file is downloaded before and seeded 100%, just because i unmounted the path and open qB, qB should not think to take the file again as a new download although luckily not start downloading again but if i resume Stalled appear.

sledgehammer_999, sorry mate but i think you should do a test yourself, You'll caught soon and better.
Please write again for everything.

Regards,
Nili
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

[quote="Nili"]here is the test without resume. Red, Paused but as you can see on sidepanel says Downloading...
[/quote]

I have one FINAL question: Do you confirm that you MOUNTED the disk before launching qbt for a second time in the above(quoted) case?

I intend to do the troubleshoot myself over the weekend. I think I have enough info to try and reproduce this.
Nili

Post by Nili »

I have one FINAL question: Do you confirm that you MOUNTED the disk before launching qbt for a second time in the above(quoted) case?[/quote]

I confirm the mounting disk for the 2nd time. A lot embarrassing, sorry  :-[

I intend to do the troubleshoot myself over the weekend. I think I have enough info to try and reproduce this.[/quote]

That's good, then please confirm us about the progress. Thank you very much sledgehammer_999

Regards,
Nili
lucaseugenio

Post by lucaseugenio »

I have the same problem. Solved unchecking the Anonymous Mode. I hope it helps.