Auto-clean filenames

Discuss suggestions and ideas for the forums, site, software.
fathermck

Auto-clean filenames

Post by fathermck »

Hi,

first of all, thanks for your work on this great project !

I'd like to suggest to add a list to automatically clean-up filenames ie :
1st - to remove www, the, TV, XVID ...
2nd - to replace some words/chars: ie replace "." or "-" or "_" or '[' with space and so on.

Thanks & Regards.
tekko

Re: Auto-clean filenames

Post by tekko »

I think it can mess things up easily.
i.e. can't relocate files, recreation of files using original names, etc.
fathermck

Post by fathermck »

Hum...
Not sure about that since qBittorrent could still use file hash functions and/or another way to store new name / original name somewhere in a table/logfile ...
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

Creating a global ruleset of what should be renamed to what ... which everyone would agreed on - is just virtually impossible. :/
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

[quote="tekko"]
I think it can mess things up easily. [/quote]

Same thoughts here, lots and lots of opportunity for disaster, particularly given the plethora of character sets and languages in use across the swarms. It's certainly not something that should be an autonomous function.
fathermck

Post by fathermck »

Why not ? Some other P2P progs are handling it well, MorphXT for example...
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

MorphXT isn't a BitTorrent protocol client.
fathermck

Post by fathermck »

[quote="ciaobaby"]
MorphXT isn't a BitTorrent protocol client.
[/quote]
Yes i know, i said it's a P2P client, just like any torrent software is (multiple sources, announce servers, file pieces sharing...).
Ok the protocol is not the same but renaming a file is not a protocol thing...
I mean (if you want to stick with the torrent protocol), with uTorrent you can rename, Relocate the DL files then re-seed them. cleaning-up files names then doing the same automatically should be possible.
It's just a string replacement, not the hardest thing to do...well..imho :)
Oh and BTW i hate utorrent, but thanks to it i discovered QBT :)

And a last thing: The S&R list should be a user defined-list "not a global ruleset of what should be renamed to what" which i agree could not be done.
Last edited by fathermck on Wed May 13, 2015 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

The way the two protocols  handle files are  totally different, with Kademlia  files are the way that the protocol  identifies the payload, with bittorrent a file name is merely something to show human users, and the 'name' used in the meta data is simply passed to the OS file manager.  There are no sophisticated file handling capabilities  built-in to  the protocol engines, even doing anything simple manual renaming of files can already cause problems with duplicate files, one with the additional extension still in place after the payload has completed downloading. Having the protocol engine doing things that was never intended to do is most likely to cause more problems that it solves.