Why is a true portable mode option not implemented, after being asked for years?

Windows specific questions, problems.
sgm09

Why is a true portable mode option not implemented, after being asked for years?

Post by sgm09 »

I currently use qbittorrent for portableapps.com (yeah I know it's not supported, don't tell me about it).
I am very curious, after searching the forums and github and say dozens of requests for this, why is it not implemented yet?
Maybe the config path is hard coded in the source and the devs don't have time to change this?
I ask because all my apps are portable on windows and there is no better torrent client for windows at the moment (tixati comes close though), and it's very frustrating that I cannot use qbittorrent in a truly portable way.
The portable launcher version from portableapps.com can cause loss of torrents if not properly closed (power outage) Happened to me once, I lost over 1000 seeding torrents and never bothered to put them back.. it was almost impossible. Also when having many torrents it takes a lot of time for the launcher to move all the config back to the folder it was run from, causing very long delays when there is a need for reboot.
I'm almost willing to learn the bits of coding to do this myself but it would be useless since I would have to do it every time a new version comes out.

So please someone enlighten me about this, because it makes no sense not to have this option in such a full feature program.
Sparkle

Re: Why is a true portable mode option not implemented, after being asked for years?

Post by Sparkle »

There are two other full working portable versions: Portable by Nkek, and Portable by conservator.
sgm09

Re: Why is a true portable mode option not implemented, after being asked for years?

Post by sgm09 »

Thank you for that info. do you know the technical differences between these versions ? I see nkek's does not move settings and can run multiple instances
sgm09

Post by sgm09 »

But does anyone know why this is not in the official release?
davediamond

Post by davediamond »

I can tell you in two words : Reward or money. ie. it's free so why should people work for YOU? The 'problems' are obvious. Get a job.
sgm09

Post by sgm09 »

I see. So we should start a fundraiser to make this happen. Indie gogo.
sgm09

Post by sgm09 »

The nkek version is buggy for me, after a while I cannot reopen the program windows from the system tray. Also choosing "open containing folder" from the right click menu opens a file inside the torrent, not the folder itself. The portable by conservator version seems to be outdated.. the newest I found was 3.3.4. Is there a newer one?
Last edited by sgm09 on Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.