Problem when torrent is completed - the speed drops and come back

Windows specific questions, problems.
zpoison

Problem when torrent is completed - the speed drops and come back

Post by zpoison »

Hi, i noticed that ( i think ) when a torrent is finishing the speed drops to none, until the torrent is finished and it starts back at perfect speed

what would be the cause ?
should i enable os cache in preference? ---is it the disks cache / win cache buffer? ( this feels like a buffer, not sure)
when i look in the log it also says for 10-15 sentences like these:

2016-08-09 04:18 - Couldn't load GeoIP database. Reason: Unsupported database file size.
2016-08-09 04:18 - Couldn't download favicon for URL 'http://###/favicon.ico'. Reason: The remote host name was not found (invalid hostname)
2016-08-09 04:18 - Couldn't download favicon for URL 'http://###.download/favicon.png'. Reason: The remote content was not found at the server (404)

I have an orange connection status : cannot find what is the problem, i have tried to select the interface in preference to the local area connection that is in use, its now working
i mentionned the orange status because maybe its the same problem
all i know is the speed drops and kick back with normal speed (maybe it is not the same issue as the download completion buffering?)
Attachments
Capture7777777777777.JPG
Capture888888888888.JPG
Capturfdgbdfgbhdgh66666666666e.JPG
Last edited by zpoison on Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Switeck

Re: Problem when torrent is completed - the speed drops and come back

Post by Switeck »

The favicon.ico errors in the log are because qBitTorrent is hammering every tracker with icon requests for no good reason. Sadly, there's no way to disable that at this time. :(
Many of the trackers mentioned are permanently dead, such as http trackers for publicbt.com and openbittorrent.com

Your GeoIP database seems overload/corrupted...you might want to disable that along with resolve ips.

Setting half open connection limit to 0=unlimited may be a large part of why the speed drops and comes back while seeding/downloading. Making outgoing connection attempts via half-open connections can put a large load on your upload side with absolutely trivial/useless results. (It retries dead/gone/firewalled peers constantly if set too high.) That's one of the reasons why it's normally limited to 50 or less.

Your other settings, such as global max connections, global max upload slots, max connections per torrent, and max upload slots per torrent may also explain the terrible seeding results while not downloading...but your screenshots don't tell what those values are.

In one screenshot, I see you have upload speed limited to 500 KiB/sec -- that effectively limits global max upload slots to no more than 100 and probably runs better if set closer to 50-80. Likewise, that sets the upper limit on active (started but not idle) torrents no greater than global max upload slots. Ideally, max torrents should be no more than 1/2 to 1/5th that amount so you can get faster download speeds via Tit-For-Tat (something-for-something trading/sharing -- a core rule of BitTorrent.)

It would also help to know if your problem is due to individual torrents that only upload while downloading or if it's because DIFFERENT torrents start uploading if other torrents are downloading at the same time.
The 2nd case is extremely likely to be caused by a hostile ISP that limits BitTorrent seeding using SandVine (or similar) like ComCast cable ISP in the USA did between 2007 and 2010.

Do peers disappear when a torrent finishes downloading?
(Or only seeds disappear then, which is how it's supposed to work?)

Are these private torrents which are on private trackers? (Many private trackers have their own crazy rules which can make things act weird...)
zpoison

Post by zpoison »

Hi Switeck and thank you for these excellent inputs,
now my orange button has turn to green, i don't remember what i did but it was from your tips, and this worked for that
but
i especially noticed tonight that, ok speed is nice and all, but the speed drops especially when one torrent is finishing

i remember something :
everytime i change a finished folder to a another location the speed drops during the transfer to this location

and i think that the transfer may cause a "buffernig"  (i have 5 hard drives)
edit: ok now i realize maybe this is one of the sata connection in my PC because one drive does not cause buffer when finishing /transfering and another is completely loading the resources (strangely it's not the external usb drive but its one of the sata ports that may be slower than the other maybe they are made for dvd connection and i use them for hard drive)

my god

and i am using r/u/t/r/a/c/k/e/r  (they are the best prvt tracker i know if you know a better one tell me!  please)
they are not requiring any upload ratio, they made that change a couple of years ago so they say , so this is not a problem caused by ratio
Last edited by zpoison on Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Switeck

Post by Switeck »

When a torrent finishes, does it auto-move (actually a copy followed by an erase) from 1 HDD to another? That action may cause ALL other disk activity by qBitTorrent to halt, which can cause even uploading to cease till it completes...by then peers may have snubbed your connection for refusing to give them anymore!

Even the best private trackers in existence are bending BitTorrent almost to the breaking point because of how private torrents work in general.
By the time you can connect to a new peer on a busy torrent that's <1 GB in size, chances are it's already become a seed as well. You have to hope a new peer gets your ip:port from the tracker and it connects to you first before qBitTorrent even knows of its existence. Since most trackers are hard-coded to only give out ~50 ips per update, this may not happen for any torrent with >100 total seeds+peers.
Worse, many trackers give out ips without considering if they're seeds or not. For instance, 100 seeds and 1 new peer on a torrent...50 random ips quite likely won't include that new peer. What's the seeds going to do? Connect to each other? :P
zpoison

Post by zpoison »

yea yes i think you're right the problem occured when the download was transfering to another drive

so knowing this the idea will be to keep the same drive(as the temp drive) and change the finished once a week,
but i will have to recheck them if i change the location, but i must put them in the temp folder to have them rechecked so the problem will return anyway.. duh, i'm lost now

it seems there is no way to escape this except to keep the same grive and delete the torrents once they are finished, or seeded, which take long usually
Switeck

Post by Switeck »

In my tests, mentioned elsewhere on this forum, torrent files weren't very fragmented if preallocate files is enabled in qBitTorrent or the drive being downloaded to is not using NTFS and is not a SSD.
zpoison

Post by zpoison »

ok the lag is caused by the drive transfer

preallocated , off
ntfs , yes
ssd , local C
drives , WD green , WD blue ( blue seems faster)

thanks for the inputs
Last edited by zpoison on Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Switeck

Post by Switeck »

WD blue drives tend to be 7200 rpm while WD green tend to be 3200-5400 rpm. This means more disk surface goes by the read/write heads per second and thus WD blue drives tend to be faster for the same capacity.

Why put them in a temp folder to have them rechecked?
qBT can recheck your existing torrents wherever they are, just do small batches at a time so qBT doesn't remain "busy" doing that for weeks straight.