Author Topic: All torrents stuck in "Downloading"  (Read 5322 times)

aaronsher

• View Profile
All torrents stuck in "Downloading"
« on: December 04, 2015, 11:05:02 PM »
I have v3.3.0 running on Mac OS 10.9.5. Every torrent I add goes to "Downloading" and then does nothing forever (I have torrents that have been sitting there for many days now). They all show 0 in all columns; the first couple I figured maybe just didn't have any seeds, but it's not the case for all of them. Nothing I do makes them progress. Help!

ciaobaby

• Forum addict
  • No quarter asked... No quarter given.
    • View Profile
    • WMTeu
Smarter than the av-er-age bear, Boo Boo.

http://qbforums.shiki.hu/index.php/topic,3084.0.html

aaronsher

• View Profile
Re: All torrents stuck in "Downloading"
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2015, 09:13:44 PM »
It's not a speed problem, it isn't even finding seeds. "0 in all columns" means ALL columns - see the attached screenshot. I just tried copying one of the magnet links from qBittorrent and opening it in Transmission, and it downloads fine. The problem is that qBittorrent is nonfunctional, nothing else.

ciaobaby

• Forum addict
    • View Profile
    • WMTeu
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2015, 10:42:40 PM »
"speed" covers ALL aspects of connectivity, with the information no one (other than you)  can even begin to guess what the problem might be.

And if it was that " The problem is that qBittorrent is nonfunctional" more people would be reporting it as such including myself, it may of course be something that is prevalent to a Mac environment only, but again, we will not now that until some information is forthcoming.

aaronsher

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2015, 11:30:39 PM »
Sorry, I meant *my* qBittorrent is nonfunctional. It used to work until about a week ago, so it's not that there's something about this machine that prevents it from running entirely.

I've attached the Speedtest report - you can see that I have plenty of bandwidth. To save typing, I've attached images of the relevant pieces of the settings dialog.

Libtorrent version:1.0.7.0
Connection status says "No direct connections"
DHT node count: 0

I do have Private Internet Access running, but it was previously working in this state, and I've tried disconnecting the VPN and that didn't change anything.

ciaobaby

• Forum addict
    • View Profile
    • WMTeu
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2015, 04:55:33 PM »
Connection status says "No direct connections"

Well there you are then, ... Fix that your problems should be over.

So have you forwarded the listen port  through the VPN?

aaronsher

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2015, 05:12:34 PM »
No, but as I said it was previously working fine and I haven't made any network configuration changes. Other torrent clients work fine.

ciaobaby

• Forum addict
    • View Profile
    • WMTeu
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2015, 05:42:02 PM »
Other torrent clients work fine.

and?? That's a bit like telling us your motorbike won't start, but your car is okay.

Also knowing it was "okay before" is of no help whatsoever, NOW is what counts!

Switeck

• Forum addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2015, 06:33:32 PM »
No, but as I said it was previously working fine and I haven't made any network configuration changes. Other torrent clients work fine.
So either:
1.qBitTorrent is corrupted...possibly because the drive it's on is starting to fail. Now might be a good time to back up critical data!

2.There's a bug in qBitTorrent that only you have reported, but without enough detail for us to figure out much about the bug.

3.You have HOSTILE SOFTWARE on your computer that's starting to attack new programs you download/load/run. Doesn't even have to be a virus or malware. A software firewall could be set up to default deny network access to any new software it detects. Antivirus software may be incorrectly flagging qBitTorrent as "unknown malware" (happens a lot lately). Access permissions given by the OS itself may not be allowing qBitTorrent network or even full drive access so it can run properly.

aaronsher

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2015, 07:41:03 PM »
OK, I can't dispute that list of options. Do you have suggestions for what I can do about it? As I said, turning off the VPN doesn't solve the problem. I could go into my router config and set up port forwarding, but I don't see why qBittorrent would behave differently in that respect from Transmission or uTorrent (both of which work fine).

Switeck

• Forum addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2015, 10:27:12 PM »
Your router not being forwarded to qBitTorrent shouldn't matter unless you're trying mostly dead torrents that only have firewalled peers/seeds on them.
While using a VPN, you should not want the router forwarded at all! The VPN bypasses that via its direct connection, and if the VPN ever goes down you probably don't want incoming connections on your real ip address.

Scan your drive/s for errors.

Check file/networking permissions.

Check your firewall and antivirus/antimalware software to be certain that qBitTorrent is allowed through them.

Is qBitTorrent even trying to use the right interface if the VPN is disabled?

aaronsher

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2015, 11:41:40 PM »
tl;dr I did a whole bunch of things and it seems to be working now, but I can't figure out which thing I did made the difference.

- I scanned the drive for errors and found nothing.
- I verified permissions and repaired everything it found, none of which looked relevant.
- I disabled the firewall and the VPN, and then re-enabled them again.
- I modified a couple of the qBT network settings that I didn't think would make any difference and that I hadn't changed before.

The one thing that I THOUGHT might fix it, but which apparently didn't, was that the proxy server setting was set to "HTTP" but the IP address was "0.0.0.0". That's definitely not a setting that I made, so either it's a weird default or it's a corrupt prefs file. I changed it to "None" and it didn't seem to do anything, unless it had some sort of delayed effect.

aaronsher

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2015, 11:49:07 PM »
May have spoken too soon - the app is exhibiting several strange behaviors, including restoring the list of torrents every time I restart it (despite my having removed them and clicked the "also delete files on disk" option) and apparently hanging after the first few minutes it runs.

ciaobaby

• Forum addict
    • View Profile
    • WMTeu
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2015, 10:44:58 AM »
Check the permissions to the .ini/.conf file and the parent folder.

reemusk

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2016, 07:40:25 AM »
This is the exact same issue i'm having EVERY SINGLE TIME I update qBitorrent. Hell, even sometimes it happens randomly, I sit down at my desk and 30 torrents are stuck at "downloading metadata" for the past week.

I'm pretty sure this guy's downloads were stuck at "downloading metadata". Because mine are too. Literally worked on 3.3.3 no issue, updated, downloads that were working now aren't, DHT has 0 nodes, and no error messages in the log. Shows UPNP is working properly. Then out of nowhere, a "no router found message", because magically, QB struggles to remain connected when any single setting is changed. Double check routing settings. Port is still open. MAC address for my machine is still binded to the same IP it's been at for the past 3 years.

You make a convoluted list of "requirements you need" when diagnosing connectivity issues. When it's the same types of issues over and over and over and over and over and over.

I hope none of you are actual support staff, because this post was extremely rude to an end user who is having a problem that other people are having (as much as you try to deny it's happening)

But, like you guys said, it's clearly the users' fault.

it's like clockwork with this app.

I wish there were other choices, but alas, no one beats the RSS downloading you have built in. For now, until that gets an "upgrade"