Author Topic: Seeding  (Read 1702 times)

tolma

• View Profile
Seeding
« on: September 08, 2011, 11:17:23 am »
ok where we live in Europe we can download with no problem but if we upload or seed it means heavy fines and jail time. My wie and I are both disabled making movie goingnear impossible. So I would usually download any new movies out, if we like it we then buy the DVD when it is released. Which brings up the main qiestion on seeding. Is there some method or way to prevent this program from seeding or uploading turrents both while I am downloading a file and later or even during the completion of said turrent file?
I know the idea is to be a seeder I think it is called, but at 60 years old and with little real computer savy on all of this I prefer to take no chances in either having what little savings we have left taken up in court and lawyer fees or spending the rest of my remaining days in a jail room somewhere.
Many thanks...

Peter

• Administrator
  • Forum addict
    • View Profile
Re: Seeding
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2011, 02:47:38 pm »
The only client is known to support this "not seeding" is a Chinese client... Xunlei. It's not available in English, and it's not made for normal Bittorrent usage.

You can always buy a VPN subscription, that protects you from the law ... in some way.
Check PureVPN for example: http://purevpn.com/
(Unlimited package advised.)
- qBittorrent team - server and forum administrator.
- Hungarian translation reviewer/moderator (+ translator).

Join the official qBittorrent Discord!
https://discord.gg/ma66Vv4

loki

• Forum addict
    • View Profile
Re: Seeding
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2011, 03:34:56 am »
Also, another few bits of advice... it's far "safer" to join a private tracker rather than download "said movie" from open trackers. Consider a blocklist of some sort, qbittorrent even supports the most common blocklist formats, this would only affect qbittorrent itself, there is also separate programs that would protect your entire computer (not just qbittorrent traffic).
Another little warning, there is known companies/people out there that will report to your ISP for copyright infringement and potentially get you in trouble with your ISP. Depends on your ISPs policy but could be as little as a warning email from your ISP to as much as termination of service/contract. Anyway, not trying to scare you off, usually these letters can safely be ignored and by no means go through their website and "settle" your infringement... it's just a way for them to make money. (A form of phishing.) Not sure about international laws but in the US, legal documents (including notice of copyright infringement must be actual mail, paper-form, delivered to your house).