Author Topic: General Support Q&A Windows Thread  (Read 15229 times)

KitKat

• Veteran
  • Here i stand with my bayonet...
    • View Profile
General Support Q&A Windows Thread
« on: April 11, 2016, 02:06:54 PM »
The purpose of this thread/post is to pose and answer some general/basic/repeated questions i've seen from people in the time i've read your forums, I'm putting this together with the intent of giving new users something to read/link to that should resolve a majority of simple problems. I will likely edit this post more when i have time, if people want to contribute to it please post it in the thread and i'll edit it in, try and use the same structure i do for continuity.

It will be Tl;DR so i will make some effort to segment it with a standard format and allow Ctrl+F keyword searching to find answers.

If after reading this it hasnt helped you or if your problem isnt listed & you're still waiting on a proper reply here is the information we need from you to help you better

• Operating System
  • qbittorent Version
  • Qt Version
  • Boost Version
  • Libtorrent Version
  • What you were doing/attempting to do when the issue occured
  • Is this is a new install of qbittorent, upgraded from previous version or previously working client that jsut broke
You can get the answers to boost&libtorrent version by going to the Help > About > Libraries menu inside qbittorrent.

Bug Fixing

Question: I am recieving an I/O error how do i fix it?
A: I/O errors are very vague the most common cause is a failure to read or write to the save location.
This can be caused by alot of different things, if your writing to external hardrive or network drive make sure sure it hasnt lost power/disconnected, your PC going into standby mode with qbittorent active can cause I/O write errors as the drive will disconnect then reconnect after qbittorent checks the files are there.
If you're saving to a folder such as C:\Program Files(x86)\ then you may have a write permission error either manually check write permisisons by attempting to create a file in the save directory or simply running qbittorent as full administrator

Question:Is it safe to run qbittorent as administrator?
A: Honestly yes, qbittorent is open source you can read its material online at github if used properly the only issues this can cause you are permission elevation bugs from the user opening an .exe file through qbittorent unsafely.
Qbittorent is perfectly capable of spying on you or whatever paranoid thing you believe it to be doing when running un-firewalled as a non-admin.
Running applications as admin resolves a plethora of user issues under windows, qbittorent is no exception to those.

Why doesnt Metadata load/Why Doesn't DHT connect/What does DHT been yellow instead of green mean?
A: Networking issue to all of the above.
There currently is a resolved bug in all versions of qbittorent & most libtorrent dependant applications in regards to adapter binding under windows.
This build of qbittorent contains the libtorrent fix for it. (10th april 2016) Future builds of qbittorent should contain this fix(3.3.4+)
http://builds.shiki.hu/temp/qbittorrent_3.3.4_libtorrent_patched_for_issue_5052.7z
After obtaining that updated client go into tools > options > advanced and re-select an adapter then restart the client

Assuming this does NOT resolve the issue for you or we're on later builds where this bug does not apply.
Then you need to check the following:
Firewall allowing qbittorent through it
Qbittorent unblocked by third party firewall
Antivirus not visualizing/sandboxing qbittorrent.exe
Antivirus/Router/Firewall not blocking DHT (typically port 6881-6889)

If you have DHT connectivity yet metadata still fails to download then remove the torrents you have added into qbittorent and re-add them via .torrent file
Follow the below instructions (valid of 11 April 2016) to obtain a .torrent file for a public torrent.
What you can do to quickly find the same torrent as the one you've added (if its public) is to go to qbittorent, select the torrent then select the general tab

Copy the "torrent hash" and paste it into this search engine.
https://torrentproject.se/

Should usually return a matching .torrent file if it hasnt been added in the past 24h.
That website archives/spiders websites like kat.cr for torrent files and indexes them.

/e: qbittorent just had a version update, try updating and seeing if that resolves the issue

Qbittorent is breaking my internet, i cant browse websites while its running
A: There is an example speed guide with some explanations at the very bottom of this guide, look for that.

I installed qbittorent and it isnt there anymore
A: You're using windows 10, windows 10 manages applications "uniquely" you need to re-install qbittorent under administrator privileges as you've only installed it for one user account and you're apparantly not only using a single user account. Or more simply navigate to the folder you installed it to and re-create the missing shortcuts as your application is still on the pc the shortcuts in your desktop environment are not however.

I found a bug/qbittorent crashed
Please dont report new bugs or post crash logs to these support forums, the developers dont read the forums as often as they read the issues page on github
Please post an issue ticket here (check first to see if one already exists to prevent duplicates please)
https://github.com/qbittorrent/qBittorrent/issues

Advanced Useage Questions
I want qbittorent to run C:\foo.exe -f -q H:\bar when my torrent download finishes it gives me an invalid commandline error/doesnt work wtf?
A: You need to encapsulate the argument in quotations, qbittorent does not automatically do this so your argument breaks incorrectly when it encounters a space.
Your argument needs to be input to qbittorent as"C:\foo.exe -f -q H:\bar"

I want to save all my files to one folder and sort them into subfolders by type easily can i do this?
A: Yes you can.
Under Tools > Options > Downloads there is a checkbox titled Append the label of the torrent to the save path you need to check that option.
Now when you add a torrent if you assign it a label (labels are remembered) it will now save that torrent into a subfolder with the labels name.
An example:
My Save files Path is X:\Movies
I have 2 Labels "Action" and "Comedy"
All movies i give the "Action" label to get saved into X:\Movies\Action
All movies i give the "Comedy" label to get saved into X:\Movies\Comedy
Movies i do not label get saved into X:\Movies

Can i bind qbittorent to a VPN interface so it stops working if my VPN disconnects?
A: Yes you can, under Tools > Options > Advanced simply Select a network interface then restart qbittorent

Can i use a SOCKS5 proxy address to report to a tracker to hide me that way?
A: Yes you can, Under Tools > Options > Connection > Proxy Server
Select SOCKS4/5 as the type
And fill out the proxy information.
Be sure to leave "Use proxy for peer connections"unchecked as it can break PXE and downloading/uploading if the proxy doesnt support port forwarding (no public ones do)
A list of public SOCKS proxys can be found here: https://www.socks-proxy.net

I banned a user from connecting to me, can i unban him?
A: Yes, first close qbittorrent then..
Open startmenu and type %appdata%\qbittorrent\qbittorrent.ini then press enter.
press ctrl+f to search for the line IPFilter\BannedIPs=
Then remove the IP address from the list & resave the file.
Re-open qbittorent.

Can i setup qbittorent to autoextract archive files?
A: Yes you can, go into Tools > Options > Downloads then scroll down and check Run External Program on Completion then fill out a commandline for a program to extract your files.
One example commandline involving winrar from the user RavenousSix is as follows
"C:/Program Files/WinRAR/WinRAR.exe" x -ibck -inul "%F/*.r*" "%F/"
Modifying the location of winrar.exe as needed of course.
This script will extract the archives into the same folder it is downloaded into.
If you wish to specify a different location change the end part from "%F/" to something like "C:/Extracted/%N"
/'s may need to be changed to \'s depending on OS.

Setting up qbittorent for my connection
First of all you need to figure out how shit/good your internet connection is.
To do this go to any speedtesting website and choose the closest node www.speedtest.net is a good site for this.
Run 2-3 speedtests a few minutes apart if they all return the same-ish results then it means you have a stable connection and the information provided is valid.
The value returned by www.speedtest.net (using for this example as its very popular) is in megabits instead of megabytes we need to know what your real speed in bytes is
To do this you take your results, lets say speedtest told me i had 21.42 download and 1.2 upload
We take these numbers and divide them by 8.
Therefore in this example my real speeds are 2.68mb/s download and 0.15mb/s upload

We then take these numbers and input them to qbittorents speed limiters, tools >options > speed

Now some numbers. We have 2.68mb/s download, this is 2680kb/s
We can set qbittorents global rate to use the maximum if we plan on potentially hosing the internet for everything else. I suggest we instead set it to 80% of what we have (2680 divided by 100 times 80 = 2144)
This gives us 500kbs of overhead/use for other applications. 500kb/s is enough for 2 people to simulataneously watch 480px youtube without issues, and more than enough for upwards of 4 people to browse reddit facebook whatever web2.0 site they feel like, and enough for 8+ people to play any MMO without latency issues brought on by download bandwidth choke(we dont have the upload for this however but its irrelevant).
A rule of thumb for download is leave a minimum of 175kb/s spare per person who uses the internet simulataneously, 175kb/s each will allow them to watch 360px youtube, browse websites and play games without noticeable loadtime lag.

We have 0.15mb/s of upload this is 150kb/s which is about standard for a home internet connection in most parts of the world.
As a rule of thumb it is wise to keep 40kb/s upload free for web-browsing to prevent slow response and timeouts when multiple people access the internet, if its just you then as low as 15kb/s upload free is enough to maintain a rapid page response time.

So we set qbittorents global upload setting to 110kb/s and that gives us our standard download/global rates.
For using a torrent client without "hosing" the internet for everything else.

As qbittorent supports onpeak and offpeak (global and alternative rates) we can enter 2 different things
An example would be global rates that are polite and leave extra bandwidth for other applications, eg only using 60% of my download and 30% of my upload.
And setting alternative rates that use 100% of everything with the intent of leaving this on overnight/when no-one else is using it.

Download speed/Upload speed is the easy part, theres a more complex part that involves the type of connection you're on if you use ADSL/DSL or any connection involing phone lines this isn't as relevant to you as your modem doesn't need to maintain a strict NAT however if you use a 100/10 cable connection or fibre something you can potentially run into major connectivity problems regarding half-open connections and bloating the modems NAT table.

If this is relevant to you go into Tools > options > connections
And reduce the global maximum number of connections to something lower than 255 to prevent NAT overload.
You're affected by this issue if qbittorent works properly, skype works properly, steam chat works properly BUT http/s websites timeout on you/fail to load until you close qbittorent/skype and wait a few minutes.
The "real" solution involves buying a not shit modem/router with proper NAT management.

Fast/Simplified version: Do a speedtest at www.speedtest.net
Divide the results it gives you by 8 to convert megabits into megabytes
Multiple that by 1000 to turn megabytes into kilobytes
Set a number lower than that by 200~ for download in your tools > options > speed rate so you can watch youtube/browse internet while qbittorent downloads at max rate.
Set a number lower that that by 30 for upload if you want the internet to load websites in a reasonable time while torrenting at max capacity
If no HTTP websites load at all while qbittorent is open (even if not seeding)
Lower the maximum amount of global connections under tools > options > speed
and reduce the value of maximum number of half-open connections found undertools > options > advanced to 10.
If that still doesn't work disable UPnP forwarding aswell(un-needed if you're directly connected to the modem)
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 11:45:23 AM by KitKat »
The following BBC is not allowed within your signature: html, img, php.

stihia

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: General Support Q&A Windows Thread
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2017, 05:56:54 PM »

Question: I am recieving an I/O error how do i fix it?
A: I/O errors are very vague the most common cause is a failure to read or write to the save location.
This can be caused by alot of different things, if your writing to external hardrive or network drive make sure sure it hasnt lost power/disconnected, your PC going into standby mode with qbittorent active can cause I/O write errors as the drive will disconnect then reconnect after qbittorent checks the files are there.
If you're saving to a folder such as C:\Program Files(x86)\ then you may have a write permission error either manually check write permisisons by attempting to create a file in the save directory or simply running qbittorent as full administrator

An I/O error can also show up in the case of some partially downloaded torrents imported from utorrent (torrents containing files that were not downloaded completely in utorrent, to be more specific). Utorrent uses for this kind of files the .!ut extension. To get rid of the I/O error in this particular case, ALL the .!ut extensions must be replaced with .!qB
That solves the situation for good.
Not 100% sure, but I presume that in the Download section of qBT, the option "Append .!qB extension to incomplete files" must be checked. Mine is, and I consider too risky to change it.

Sorry if my post is unclear, maybe KitKat or one of the mods could make it "readable".

asphyxnyc

• View Profile
Re: General Support Q&A Windows Thread
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2018, 09:55:29 PM »
I find this text confusing as it would seem to expose your IP to peers...
Be sure to leave "Use proxy for peer connections"unchecked
Should I really be unchecking that box?