Author Topic: Something goes wrong after some hours working fine...  (Read 1511 times)

angelocr

• View Profile
Something goes wrong after some hours working fine...
« on: January 01, 2017, 07:17:13 pm »

Hi, I use qbt since some time and find it very good!

Maybe I need some help in refining the configuration. Latest software on latest OS. Use littlesnitch.

QUite a late list of torrents, some hundreds, usually. Upload and downloads quite fast, all fine from boot for some hours, around four. After that the net speed decrease progressively, also other apps can't use the network, connections are so slow to become unusable. It seems that some resource gets exhausted, someway.

Only solution I found is to shutdown and reboot, after that all is fine again for another time period and the cycle repeat.

I didn't find anything related in the log, at least to my understanding.

Can someone here give any suggestions? Or ideas for further investigation, maybe!

Thank a lot for any hint!

Switeck

• Forum addict
    • View Profile
Re: Something goes wrong after some hours working fine...
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2017, 01:09:57 am »
You may have too many connections for your poor network. (Could be software or hardware issues with networking...)

Have you tried lowering max connections, max half open, disable DHT, LSD, UPnP/NAT-PMP, etc?

angelocr

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2017, 02:05:05 pm »
Hi! Thanks for the help!

At the moment I have around 500 connections, 191 files in dl and 1041 ul, 101 active transfers. My network is FTTC and I use just !Mb for torrenting.

I have just tried disabling LittleSnitch, but the issue remains the same.

Next step I'll try lowering the parameters you mention.

P.S. By the way, now it's working great... How I could diagnose which resource is slowly exhausting?

Switeck

• Forum addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2017, 02:48:02 pm »
I'd start by checking qBitTorrent itself -- is it using lots of ram and is it using lots of CPU %?

Then check that qBitTorrent is really using as much of the network bandwidth as your MAC OS claims is in use.

Are you connecting qBT to the internet through wifi, VPN, or proxy? (anything other than straight through Cat 5/6/7 Ethernet)
I've known wifi to crash from BitTorrent clients using it heavily, but almost always that's either due to very poor wifi hardware/software OR wifi being congested/overloaded/interference.

angelocr

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2017, 11:48:31 pm »

Thanks! You are being very helpful!

More or less the data I gave are constant and qBitTorrent is using about 15% of one CPU with occasional spikes up to 30%, Ram about 350 MB. As per the network qBT shows 1MB down and 250 up; the aggregate shown by the OS is 1.3MB down and 1.35MB up.

At the moment I am on WiFI 5GHz, the only user. No crashes experienced.

By the way everything is working great, now, I rebooted in the morning and it's evening here now. More good performance than usual. We'll see!

Any data from the log could be useful? Cache overload are both zero, they used to be around 60%.

Thanks again!

Switeck

• Forum addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2017, 12:40:34 pm »
Doubtful the log will be very useful unless you see something ODD in it when things are particularly awry.

WiFi 5 Ghz, so presumably either wireless-n or wireless-ac? Either way, your fiber line may be faster than your wifi!
Have you read about how much wireless encryption reduces wifi's top speed?

Cache overloads can decrease slightly downloading/uploading with fewer seeds/peers at once, since hard drives can only write or read from 1 place at a time and moving its read/write heads around is an extra delay...so it's better to be downloading faster from fewer sources. At the piece level (often 1, 2, or 4 MB for big torrents), I'd expect sequential reads or writes...even if the next piece picked is not sequential.

angelocr

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2017, 05:27:15 pm »

Nothing in the log seems so strange, at least to me, in fact! Could be something in the OS and QBT just sees a slower net... In fact other network connection, I mean in other apps (dropbox, Ominpresence...) get disconnected, while ant works, albeit slowly.

WiFi should be ac, AFAIK should be fast enough for 1MB, shouldn't it? Btw, I tried connecting to Gigabit cable, can go a bit faster, but the issue seems to be the same.

I've tried to reduce number of active dloads, it seems to me that the issue remain the same, the time it works fine is someway longer, but, at the end it goes panting the same way, and I have to reboot... after that all is fine again. Short of new ideas, at the moment!

Thanks!

Switeck

• Forum addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2017, 09:57:07 pm »
Check for a firmware update for your router.