Author Topic: utp being throttled  (Read 289 times)

phly95

• View Profile
utp being throttled
« on: April 21, 2017, 12:57:12 am »
I thought utp is the protocol that is supposed to not be throttled, but on a gigabit connection, with utp turned on, I get 25Mb/s and when I have utp turned off, I get 400Mb/s or maybe even more, since it was limited to the peer's internet connections. Ofc, I have encryption enabled. The reason I want utp is because my location doesn't allow port forwarding, and utp is supposed to work around that. Any ideas of what's going on and how utp is being throttled?
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 01:11:41 am by phly95 »

Switeck

• Forum addict
    • View Profile
Re: utp being throttled
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2017, 10:41:21 am »
Having uTP enabled in qBT doesn't mean qBT will only use uTP.
There's probably still a small fraction of TCP-using peers+seeds.
And that means it's not just uTP that's being throttled, TCP is being throttled too while uTP is in use!

But it's most likely not being done by your ISP.
qBitTorrent (or rather the libtorrent core in it that does uTP) is simply bad at uTP...and then uses the resulting much lower uTP speeds to throttle back TCP speeds.

I've seen other reports of the problem:
https://www.reddit.com/r/torrents/comments/42sgoz/qbitorrent_issues_utp_and_seeding_over_lan/
https://github.com/arvidn/libtorrent/issues/1432

phly95

• View Profile
Re: utp being throttled
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2017, 10:44:21 pm »
The only reason I want to use utp is because if it is using udp, then that means that someone who does have port forwarding can act as a stun server, so if someone wants to receive a seed of the file, a peer is able to initiate the transfer and the person on behind the firewall can then seed to another person behind a firewall. It would make life easier for private trackers for sure. I don't give a crap about the bandwidth savings properties of utp and would rather have those disabled, since I like to maximize my connection when downloading anything.