Author Topic: Connected to Peers, But No UL  (Read 356 times)

Alonzo Mosley

• View Profile
Connected to Peers, But No UL
« on: September 11, 2017, 08:52:48 pm »
Been using qBt for a couple of years, usually with great success.

Lately I've noticed my uploads are rather pathetic - even though it shows I'm connected to peers:

Download speeds are fine.

• I am running 3.3.16 in Windows 10, fully updated.
  • I am running through PIA. I usually use Netherlands but sometimes Sweden. I have assigned my PIA port in Connections=>Listening port. My tray is green:
  • I am not forwarding ports through my router; my understanding is that PIA trumps that. (Regardless, I never have forwarded ports through my router, and my performance has been fine until recently).
  • I don't have any special firewall or antivirus on my machine, just the standard Windows Defender package. (I have a rule on my Windows firewall to allow all inbound connections on qbittorrent.exe)

I'm kind of at my wit's end as to what to look for.

Other than Windows and application updates, I don't know of any changes I have made to my setup - network or otherwise.

Humberd

• View Profile
Re: Connected to Peers, But No UL
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2017, 09:43:06 pm »
I have 2 ideas:
  • Check the usage of your HDD. I had a similar issue, that I couldn't seed anything. qBT used 100% of HDD (I don't know why) and I just had to wait it out.
  • Try to restart your router. Again, I don't know why, but this fix helped me instantaneously.

Alonzo Mosley

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2017, 11:37:11 pm »
Thanks.

I have 2 ideas:
  • Check the usage of your HDD. I had a similar issue, that I couldn't seed anything. qBT used 100% of HDD (I don't know why) and I just had to wait it out.
Explain, please. I am DLing to/ULing from an external drive - 77.5 GB free of 931 GB. Files in queue are less than 2GB.
In Task Manager=>Processes, qBittorrent is taking up 0.1 MB/S on the "Disk" column. (Though Firefox absorbs a crazy amount of CPU... That's something to tackle...!)

2. Try to restart your router. Again, I don't know why, but this fix helped me instantaneously.[/li]
[/list]Just tried that. Has not helped in the first ten minutes...

Switeck

• Forum addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2017, 04:03:27 am »
You may be connecting to "undead" peers that connect but do nothing.
This may be because they're set to not download during certain hours due to scheduler in their BT client.
Or they may be on hostile ISPs that cripple BitTorrent traffic.
Or they may simply be overloaded by 100+ other seeds uploading to them.
Or...those may only be ips qBT is trying to connect to but have not fully responded yet.

Alonzo Mosley

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2017, 07:14:45 am »
Thanks. I had considered that but thought it strange that I would hit so many like that at once, esp. after having had a good string of success. Certainly a plausibility, though!

Rabid

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2017, 07:44:09 pm »
Try turning off Torrent Queuing and see if that works. For some reason 3.3.16 on Libtorrent 1.1 doesn't seed for me but Gelmir's 3.3.16 Libtorrent 1.0 does.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 08:06:19 pm by Rabid »

Alonzo Mosley

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2017, 10:10:26 pm »
Thanks. Still showing:
0(15)
0(19)
4(48), 0B/s

Switeck

• Forum addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2017, 02:15:52 am »
Could be a problem of PIA itself, check their forums (and others) on that subject.

dragons4life

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2017, 02:34:33 am »
Try using port forwarding instead of UPnP
Try disabling uTP Protocol
Test your speed with linux torrents; antergos,solus,ubuntu,opensuse,arch etc.. download them from their website or you can look for more on distrowatch

Do test those torrents with other clients and see if you can produce the same speed, deluge/tixati/transmission/

Alonzo Mosley

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2017, 04:16:42 am »
When you say use Port Forwarding, you mean going into my router and setting it? Doesn't that start getting really wiggy since I'm using a port assigned by PIA?
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 05:21:48 am by Alonzo Mosley »

Switeck

• Forum addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2017, 09:56:25 am »
Port forwarding the router when using PIA is a bad idea, because of network traffic leakage potential. Mentioned here:  https://qbforums.shiki.hu/index.php/topic,5085.0.html
Likewise, UPnP can goof things up especially since qBitTorrent tries to do both UPnP and NAT-PMP on the same port for both TCP and UDP.