Author Topic: Peers dont download from me always (And slow speeds)  (Read 347 times)

Anders

• View Profile
Peers dont download from me always (And slow speeds)
« on: November 12, 2017, 05:02:29 pm »
Ok, so my ratio have gone down since I moved to qBittorrent from uTorrent. I have disabled UPnP and are using a fixed port for incoming connections which is forwarded (both UDP and TCP) in my router to the server machine hosting qBittorrent.

I can see alot of peers connecting but they disconnect right away again. Also some peers are connected but do not download anything from me. The guy from turkey in this screen shot has been connected since I started monerting this specific torrent without downloading anything. The swede just connected and then was disconnected a second later. I use 3.3.16 x64

There was some questions you should answer when asking about speed problems so here goes:

Connections: Global maximum and per torren > 2000 global 500 per torrent
Listening port > 57658 (UPnP off with portforward rule in router)
Upload slots: Global maximum and per torrent > 750, 500
Half-open connection value > Under advanced its defaulted to 20
Is uTP on or off? > off
Rate limiting uTP? > off
Encryption on or off? > Prefer encryption
IPv6 on or off? > Under advanced, Listening to Ip6 is off
libtorrent version (use Help -> About -> Libraries to identify that) 3.3.16
Connection status? (the icon on the status bar will tell you) > Online
DHT node count (on the status bar) > 406
Are you using a proxy or a VPN? > no

Switeck

• Forum addict
    • View Profile
Re: Peers dont download from me always (And slow speeds)
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2017, 07:44:27 pm »
Posted here also?:
https://github.com/qbittorrent/qBittorrent/issues/7698
(Developers that can FIX the problem/s are more likely to see that there...)

"Connections: Global maximum and per torren > 2000 global 500 per torrent"
"Upload slots: Global maximum and per torrent > 750, 500"

Try reducing max connections and upload slots PER torrent to only 100...or even down to 20 when only seeding.
Having both so close to global maximums may trigger some logic issues if you have 100+ torrents started.

Many if not most peers and seeds use uTP by default and will likely disconnect qBitTorrent if it refuses to use uTP.

libtorrent version used by qBitTorrent v3.3.16 is probably v1.0.11 -- qBT v3.4.0beta2 uses lilbtorrent v1.1.5 (which has a different set of problems).

Anders

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2017, 09:21:57 am »
Yeah, I decided to close it because they wanted speed problems reported here.

Ok, so reenable uTP and adjust those values? (I have around 100 torrents active). Will fix tonight. Also I have disabled queueing.

I'm also running qBittorrent as a service, but I dont think that should matter otherb than the uptime of the software will be very long. I have run it as a standard client program while testing and cant see a difference there.

Also my ISP is fine,
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 09:27:28 am by Anders »

Anders

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2017, 01:21:58 pm »
I also got a tip to disable DHT, what about that?

Switeck

• Forum addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2017, 03:20:44 pm »
DHT isn't needed for private torrents, such as those found at private tracker...so private trackers often tell people to disable it.

It's a good idea to disable DHT for troubleshooting purposes.

Anders

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2017, 04:36:22 pm »
I'm going to try these settings  now

Should I also tick Apply rate limit to uTP protocol?

Switeck

• Forum addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2017, 12:24:49 am »
With your connection's max speeds... you're probably better off with "Apply rate limit to uTP protocol" unchecked.
Did you even set a rate limit to possibly be applied? (Hard to apply a nonexistent limit.)

Anders

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2017, 01:12:22 pm »
I have set the rate to 116 mbyte/s which is 928 mbit. I read somehwere it was good to set a limit close to the theoretical limit of your connection

Anders

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2017, 09:11:43 pm »
OKay, this is getting more strange. On my desktop machine I get 80 mbyte/S on a specific torrent.

On my torrentclient/fileserver i get only 8.1 mbit from the same torrent as the desktop got 80

I do get a little lower results with speedtest (lower left corner in image below) but I should get closer to 60 mbyte i think. Something is really wrong

edit: I moved the disk from the server to my desktop and got 50-80 mbyte/S speed. So its not the disk.. what the heck?
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 09:34:50 pm by Anders »

Switeck

• Forum addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2017, 10:37:48 pm »
Your top torrent shows 55 connected seeds out of a possible 56 seeds (the trackers probably "saw" 1 extra that's since left).
BUT...out of 50 possible peers, you're connected to ZERO! It is impossible to upload on that torrent under those current conditions.

If your max connection limit per torrent is 100 and global max connections hasn't been reached, something has gone wrong!

As for possible causes of that...
qBitTorrent may be firewalled on the server. When they're disabled, many software firewalls default to BLOCKING incoming connection attempts.
qBT's max half open connection limit may be set too high, flooding out the max connection limits (either global or per torrent)...resulting in incoming peer connections being blocked in favor of outgoing connection attempts that will likely fail to connect to anything.
The trackers for that torrent are incorrect -- all those 50 missing peers are either already seeds and/or they already quit running the torrent. It's also possible some of them have rapidly changing (or multiple!) ip addresses, and get counted multiple times. qBT itself may have recorded earlier peers and not removed them.
If the same torrent is running on 2 different computers at the same time on the same internet connection (using the same IPv4 address), the 1st one to connect will block the other one. Even using different listening ports on both won't prevent that. This makes comparing 2 BitTorrent clients to each other very difficult.

"On my torrentclient/fileserver i get only 8.1 mbit from the same torrent as the desktop got 80"
qBitTorrent's speeds are KiloBYTES/second or MEGABYTES/second, not megabits/second. 80 MEGABYTES/second is a brutally fast 640 megabits/second (not counting overheads which may push that over 800 mbit/sec!)

Anders

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2017, 09:35:20 am »
I'm not talking upload at all in my latest post only download :D
Yes, I get 80 mbyte/s on my desktop on the same torrent (640 mbit/s). I get 8.1 mbyte (64 mbit/s) on my server machine on the same torrent. So something is very wrong somwhere. I have moved the server disk to my desktop and tested, get 50-70 mbyte/s to that disk. I have speed tested my server and get about 500-550 mbit/s (So a little lower than my desktop but it should provide me with about 60 mbyte/s in qBittorent).

Next I guess is to install Windows 10 on the server instead of server 2016 and test qbitorrent on that. (My desktop uses windows 10)

edit: I did not download at the same time on both machines btw.
edit: This is a high quality private tracker so those speeds are nothing strange btw
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 09:38:34 am by Anders »

Switeck

• Forum addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2017, 07:41:41 pm »
Ok, so the download is a LOT slower on the server...my statements still apply.

1.Does the server use a deep packet inspection (DPI) software firewall? (That tends to be extremely high cpu usage and vastly decreases max networking speeds.)

2.Antivirus/antimalware software on the server? (Those also might have software firewalls in them and/or be scanning every file while downloading.)

3.I've seen quite a few reports of qBitTorrent having problems specifically on Windows 10...so your desktop may just be "lucky".

4.What was upload speed doing at the same time as the slow download speeds on the server? (Are BOTH DL and UL much slower on the server than your desktop?)

Anders

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2017, 09:48:47 pm »
Upload is slow on both machines so hard to compare.
So I reinstalled the server with Windows 10 instead of server 2016. Installed all drivers from Asus (Could not install any drivers for 2016 because ASsus did not supply 2016 drivers and w10 drivers did not want to be instaleld on 2016).. Now I get much better download. Upload still fubar

Switeck

• Forum addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2017, 10:45:20 pm »
So Windows OS or drivers were likely to blame?

Anders

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2017, 11:57:30 pm »
Yeah, but I really dont know. Very  strange. But upload is still fubar. Private tracker.. Maybe nothing is wrong, just hard to seed

edit: I got good disk and net speed when testing so its very strange