Author Topic: "Anonimity"  (Read 1314 times)

delicacy

• View Profile
"Anonimity"
« on: December 17, 2017, 10:47:00 am »
Hi

I decided to dump Āµtorrent for life, & it's my first time with qbittorent.

I'm actually seeking a free torrent client that gives me a strong enough even if not perfect anonymity.

I've read about: tribler, biglybt & transmission,

tribler being tor based for anonymity & the two others proposing i2p which is pretended to be better & more secure than tor.

The actual problem is that i don't get i2p to work actually & tirbler is a bit slow.

So my question is:

Is qbittorrent anonymous enough & does the function to "check" in options "anonymous" provide anonimity
knowing that:

-I do not wish to amuse myself seeking & validating online proxies for each downloads
-I am not using i2p or independent vpn.

I've just checked anonymous & encrypted, & i actually doubt it provides anonymity because the download is fast.. with the two options checked.
 so is that function still working without adding ips & configuring ips or vpns, or does it mean "i allow proxy usage" without offering any anonymity until i've set a vpn or ip..

& in the last option, i'd have to stay on tribler & wait for more stability.

Switeck

• Forum addict
    • View Profile
Re: "Anonimity"
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2017, 03:43:18 pm »

delicacy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2017, 04:31:06 am »
So if you seek anonymity in qbittorent's options & click on that "anonymity" option, you obtain this:

"Your ISP will very much see all this connection activity" as you stated:
https://qbforums.shiki.hu/index.php/topic,5389.msg26413.html#msg26413

lol..

& i still mentionned that i selected "encrypted" mode, so i guess my downloaded data's not "encrypted" as well .. ))

I need to stick to torrentsafe.com & tribler then.

Until you make a gesture like:

installing a built-in:
-i2p support
or
-free tor service
or
-free vpn service (there are many out there).

« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 05:30:06 am by delicacy »

Switeck

• Forum addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2017, 06:56:26 pm »
"Encrypted" doesn't mean "invisible", only hopefully "unreadable".
The internet packets still have a source (your end) and a destination ip address, otherwise they're never reach their destination!

delicacy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2017, 12:13:05 am »
"The internet packets still have a source (your end) and a destination ip address, otherwise they're never reach their destination!"

yes "AN ip address", which isn't a motive to avoid my suggestion..

Switeck

• Forum addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2017, 08:12:49 am »
i2p support ...requires more qBitTorrent+libtorrent support before that's a fully viable option.

Tor is out as an effective option for BitTorrent traffic. Its network is NOT meant for such heavy loads. Plus, from what I've read Tor won't even handle UDP traffic which rules out many trackers (the udp ones!), DHT, and magnet links (which almost completely requires/demands DHT to be functional to work unless trackers are included in the magnet link).

Free VPN services...are up to the end users, as these come-and-go pretty regularly. They may have lots of limitations and restrictions, stated or otherwise, so BitTorrent traffic through them may be almost as crippled as through Tor.
Just to offer VPN services would require additional servers on qBitTorrent's part and/or having a new qBT version every few days to keep track of 3rd party free VPNs. Neither is a viable option.