Author Topic: Network Interface Crashing VPNs  (Read 3250 times)

Dirty Scrummer

• View Profile
Network Interface Crashing VPNs
« on: January 25, 2018, 10:02:12 AM »
I am using 4.03 version.

I bind my VPN with the network interface and after 10 minutes; the VPN crashes. 
Main VPN Curl.exe program crashes
Secondary VPN, API stops working.

I contacted main VPN support and they claim it is my system but other users (of same VPN) are having the same problem.
I re-programmed firewall but error, both, keep happening.

I change the network interface to any connection and both VPNs work fine.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 10:04:46 AM by Dirty Scrummer »

Peter

• Administrator
  • Forum addict
    • View Profile
Re: Network Interface Crashing VPNs
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2018, 10:40:43 AM »
I mean, if the VPN client crashes, we can't do anything about it, really.
What providers are these? O.o
- qBittorrent team - server and forum administrator.
- Hungarian translation reviewer/moderator (+ translator).

there

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2018, 11:13:08 AM »
just out of interest Dirty Scrummer, why did you not mention who your vpn provider was, and what flavour of linux you are using, as possibly someone may relate to this and validate your issue?

Dirty Scrummer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2018, 11:34:28 PM »
I have already contacted the main VPN I use.

Their standard reply came to 2 conclusions:

1) it is my system.  I had problems with this vpn and I have updated all drivers, firmwares etc.. but the same problem continues.

2) they blame qBittorrent for the irregualarity of the client.

I am still waiting on the test vpn.  I sent them their debug log and an official request two weeks ago.

The main vpn has a problem with members challenging them on their new (updated client).
This organization likes banning members and cancelling their memberships.
I have a year left, so I use qBittorrent without the network interface.

I check, occasionaly, with Doileak to make sure of no serious problems.

Every breath you take, every move you make.

Since it happens, only with qBittorrent on version 4.3, I stay with both qBit and the main vpn.

Win 7 64 bit.

I have just began to learn linux so I do not have to update to Win 10.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 11:39:23 PM by Dirty Scrummer »

there

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2018, 12:19:05 PM »
I have already contacted the main VPN I use.

Their standard reply came to 2 conclusions:

1) it is my system.  I had problems with this vpn and I have updated all drivers, firmwares etc.. but the same problem continues.

2) they blame qBittorrent for the irregualarity of the client.

I am still waiting on the test vpn.  I sent them their debug log and an official request two weeks ago.

The main vpn has a problem with members challenging them on their new (updated client).
This organization likes banning members and cancelling their memberships.
I have a year left, so I use qBittorrent without the network interface.

Since it happens, only with qBittorrent on version 4.3, I stay with both qBit and the main vpn.

Win 7 64 bit.

I have just began to learn linux so I do not have to update to Win 10.
Dirty Scrummer, I am on win10 x64 home Build 16299, i am with windscribe, but before PIA and I have mostly the same problems as you but worse as mine in addition drops while surfing or watching a film, but not as much as Qt. I left PIA because I thought it was their issue. This can happens 10-20 times a day

I have 3 related nic problems:
1. windscribe losses the connection, sometimes fairly frequently, then will not reconnect and I have to choose another country.
2. windscribe losses the connection and the nic interface in the system tray goes yellow! Pushing windscribe off button, and the firewall (vpn kill switch) off fixes the network connection.
3. windscribe losses the connection and the nic interface in the system tray goes yellow! Pushing windscribe off button, and the firewall (vpn kill switch) off does not fix the network connection, but I have to right click on the nic interface in the system tray that has gone yellow! and select  "troubleshoot problems". The issue that the fix keeps reporting 'The default gateway is not available'

Left long enough sometimes the vpn/nic come back on line by themselves, but Qt is connection broke.

After each break using Qt you have keep going into Tools > options > Advanced > 'Optional IP Addresses to bind to' and select to 10.x network again.

I have not looked into 1 & 2 much, but starting to put some effort into 3 as it is the biggest problem:
What have I done: newest client for both PIA and windscribe. - made no difference
Replaced the TAP drivers supplied with the newest (for PIA network) - made no difference
Keep updating to the latest manufacturers drivers.... at least 3 different versions - made no difference

Googling, it seems a windows update broke this, but there is/could be a workaround for broadcomm nics by using a very old driver fro another type of broadcomm, but mine is realtek.

Currently looking for a quick win by trying to find the registry changes, and revert them to a working state

long term: I have colleagues using windscribe at work, they are happy and do not lose connection much. Think they use 10 pro and have an ASUS router and run the VPN using merlin firmware on the router, rather than a client. I am thinking of using OPNsense or pfsense to do the same, but may sell out to asus :) .

Was thinking about both Mint linux. Also Windows server 201X as a desktop is sort of on the cards, but that has its own problems and not fully compatible with desktops.

Edit 1: in the past 9 hours my vpn has not crashed once

Edit 2: it crashed and was problem 2. From a dos box i did 'route print' and the 10.X network had changed and seemed to no longer be listed in the 'route print' output

Edit 3: lost connection twice i the last 1.5 hours. First time no2, second time I thought it was a 3 but then reconnected a few min after pressing the button and flicking the firewall switch on the client app. The former I still had a 10.x ip but the 1.x was missing in route print, the latter I had them both missing, but the network suddenly connected, an s on enabling the client and client firewall the 10.x routes appeared

I have also killed ipv6, the client has a button to do this
« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 08:47:21 PM by there »

Dirty Scrummer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2018, 10:39:03 PM »
Article on TorrentFreak, mentioning that BitTorrent and uTorrent DNS binding (Network Interface) have been hacked.

The same with Transmission.