Author Topic: How to migrate from uTorrent to qBittorent on iMac?  (Read 217 times)

MikeFL

• View Profile
How to migrate from uTorrent to qBittorent on iMac?
« on: August 07, 2019, 05:54:20 pm »
With the coming of Mac Catalina, I'm on borrowed time to get rid of uTorrent. I have spent the past two days looking for a resource or information to migrate my files. I'm fairly new to Mac, and made a feeble attempt yesterday to go it alone. Clicking on 'add torrents' opened a window to my existing torrents, but a limited amount of them, the greater portion was grayed out, about 550. I'm really at a loss to make this happen and running out of time. qBittorrent seems the only real viable option. I was naive enough to think all I had to do was install, point, change a few settings and I'd be in business. Not the case. I'd very much appreciate some help. Thank you.

Fuga

• View Profile
Re: How to migrate from uTorrent to qBittorent on iMac?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2019, 03:31:12 am »
uTorrent Mac will be 64 bit. In time for Catalina?

https://forum.utorrent.com/topic/108739-existing-mac-version/

MountainInside

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2019, 10:25:02 am »
I used this tool: https://qbforums.shiki.hu/index.php/topic,5889.0.html

• You'll need a windows machine, bootcamp or vm.
    • Install QBittorrent in your mac, run it once,quit
    • Install QBittorrent in windows, run it once, quit
    • quit from utorrent
    • Move uTorrent  folder from Mac (~/Library/Application Support/uTorrent) to Windows (%AppData%\uTorrent) (Keep a backup copy in safe place)
    • Run the tool
    • DON'T run any torrent client in windows after the migration
    • Move QBittorrent folder from windows (%localappdata%\QBittorrent) to Mac (~/Library/Application Support/QBittorrent)
    • Some files may need to be recheck, from 4000 files I had only 150 files that needed to be rechecked.
    • Good Luck.

Edit: The tool is updated to support MacOS
« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 06:28:29 am by MountainInside »

Fuga

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2019, 03:44:41 am »
You run 4000 torrents in qBittorrent on Mac?!

MountainInside

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2019, 06:31:25 am »
You run 4000 torrents in qBittorrent on Mac?!
Yes, is there an issue with qBittorrent on Mac?

Fuga

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2019, 03:42:44 am »
While nowhere near as bad as Deluge (useless with more than a few hundred, even the new v2), my 2100+ slow qBittorrent down. When I had decided to give up on uTorrent in anticipation of it's obsolescence I tried several clients. Only Transmission could keep up with uTorrent. qBittorrent came close but there were just too many times it was slow to respond. Tried on a 2.9 GHz i7/16 GB RAM and a 2.5 GHz i5/16 GB RAM.

Even with the uTorrent folks coming through I would just as soon not use it. Guess I might try qBittorrent again. Never did like Transmission.

MountainInside

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2019, 07:59:41 am »
I had some issues when I migrated to qB (MacMini 2018, 3.2 i7/64GB), like slowness and hanging, but everything seems fine now, in fact it's faster than uTorrent, I think it's normal when moving a lot of files from different client to get errors and bugs at the beginning

I was loyal to uTorrent since 2007, the MacOS version was great, but the lack of updates and support pushed me to look for a different torrent client, I tried several clients, and like you said Transmission preformed good, but it lacks many features and the web gui is not enough.

What kind of issues you're facing? maybe we can work together to fix them

Edit: fixed a word
« Last Edit: August 16, 2019, 08:08:04 am by MountainInside »

Fuga

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2019, 01:56:18 am »
It's just slow or no response. Torrents are loaded and running. That's fine. But anything else I want to do is slow. So slow I might as well go for burgers while the app does what I've just invoked (e.g. sort a column, change the view to a particular tracker, etc).

MountainInside

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2019, 05:27:53 am »
That's strange, it's fast and snappier than uTorrent in my case

Did you try to downgrade to an older version, what about Web GUI? is it slow also?

Fuga

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2019, 02:59:47 am »
Older versions have not been great. never has been. What's really maddening is it's the same on both computers. Different OSs going back to I can't remember! But you've given a glimmer of hope.