Author Topic: Problem with some .torrent files (bug?)  (Read 5300 times)

DreamAxe

Problem with some .torrent files (bug?)
« on: September 13, 2010, 02:32:13 pm »
Hello  :)
I've installed qBittorrent on a friend's PC. His computer has Windows XP with SP3.

qBittorrent works great but there seems to be a problem with some torrents. Most of the torrents he downloads are added normally, but several others don't.
If a torrent is added normally, this is what the "add torrent" window looks like:

But in some torrent files, this is what the "add torrent" window looks like:

In the former case, the files are saved in the predefined directory under T:/, but in the latter case, either the files are saved on the desktop, and qbittorrent also creates an empty file named "T" on the desktop, or it displays the message "save path creation error: could not create the save path".
I have verified that the .torrent files can be opened and downloaded normally using a different client thus, they are not damaged or incomplete.

Note: I doubt that this is of any importance, but the T:/ disk on his computer is a remote directory mounted as a local HDD. All of his torrents are saved there by default, but some exhibit this behavior.

Any clue as to why this might be happening?
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 01:00:00 am by Guest »

Peter

• Administrator
  • Forum addict
    • View Profile
Re: Problem with some .torrent files (bug?)
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 11:08:48 pm »
Hmm..the cases you posted I guess are simply File VS Folder downloads.
But, of course, you should report this as a bug.
- qBittorrent team - server and forum administrator.
- Hungarian translation reviewer/moderator (+ translator).

Join the official qBittorrent Discord!
https://discord.gg/ma66Vv4

ironcross

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Mein Land - Call Of Duty Servers
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 12:54:42 am »
I have a dumb question: why you download free stuff from torrents? That's ridiculous. Every free software, Linux distros in that case, can be downloaded via HTTP or FTP. Yesterday i downloaded Linux Mint 9 DVD for 4 minutes directly with Firefox. Torrents are useful for some not so free stuff, if you know what i mean  8-) And that's not only my opinion.

fridgey

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2010, 01:10:05 am »
1) You download "free" stuff from torrents to save bandwidth for the people who produce the content for you at no charge.
2) As to the original point, if there's only 1 file in the torrent the "torrent content" window doesn't show up, since obviously you want that file.  Not sure why it's having difficulty saving the file though...

ironcross

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2010, 01:54:24 am »
Quote from: "fridgey"
1) You download "free" stuff from torrents to save bandwidth for the people who produce the content for you at no charge.
Good point.
But there is another side - if you download free stuff from private tracker, this will reflect on your ratio. The upload always must to be much more than the download. So why to download something from torrent, when i can download it from HTTP/FTP and to save my high ratio in the tracker? Downloading the free stuff from HTTP/FTP is an option that these people provide. That means they can afford it, so i use that option. If they can not afford it - they would not provide it and all the downloads would be from torrents.
Sorry about the offtopic...
« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 02:10:39 am by ironcross »

fridgey

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2010, 02:09:34 am »
Who said anything about private trackers? I've never seen a private tracker for linux distros :p. And yes, they can afford to host the files directly... in large part because so many people are willing to take the burden off of them by using torrents. Just because they can afford the cost of hosting the files doesn't mean they deserve to have to. Hell, you don't even have to seed back, many people use sitting on these torrents as dedicated seeds as their way of helping out the project. Be a nice pirate, and help out where you can :p

ironcross

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2010, 02:26:40 am »
I'm member of private tracker where there are many Linux distros. But they have not much seed, like the other free stuff - most people download it directly from HTTP/FTP. That's the practice in my country - free stuff from direct downloads, the "other" stuff - from torrents. I'm not seeing nothing wrong with that. I'm helping a lot by seeding a large amount of games, movies and programs, and i'm seeding some of them for years.

DreamAxe

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2010, 03:04:11 am »
Quote from: "shiki"
Hmm..the cases you posted I guess are simply File VS Folder downloads.
But, of course, you should report this as a bug.

Well, it's really not the best example I could get, but the problem is very real. He has set T: as the default directory to download torrents and unfortunately some files are saved under the Desktop directory and not under T:. Could be file VS folders, but even in that case they should be saved under the predefined directory not on the desktop  :? I doubt it has to do with the predefined directory being a network disk since it downloads others torrents normally in that dir.
When he clicks the "..." button, next to the "Save path" on the interface, a dialog box appears asking him to save the file. In torrents downloaded normally however, a windows explorer window pops up displaying the directory (T: in this case).
I'll download qBittorrent to my PC tomorrow and keep you up to date. With a little luck I might be able to find why this bug appears and then I'll file a bug report  :)

Quote from: "ironcross"
I have a dumb question: why you download free stuff from torrents? That's ridiculous. Every free software, Linux distros in that case, can be downloaded via HTTP or FTP. Yesterday i downloaded Linux Mint 9 DVD for 4 minutes directly with Firefox. Torrents are useful for some not so free stuff, if you know what i mean  8-) And that's not only my opinion.

Bandwidth is expensive and many FOSS projects can't really afford paying for it. Using bittorrent and seeding as much as I can, is my small way of saying "thank you" to the FOSS community  ;)
It's not about getting it for yourself, it's about helping others get it too  :)

2) As to the original point, if there's only 1 file in the torrent the "torrent content" window doesn't show up, since obviously you want that file.  Not sure why it's having difficulty saving the file though...
Well, the problem seemed to appear on torrents containing a single file. I'll try it on my own computer and let you know.

fridgey

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2010, 04:10:05 am »
Purely a guess, but this could be a bug related to trying to save something directly into the root of a drive.  This wouldn't show up on multi-file torrents since they create their own folder to go into.  As a stopgap, perhaps have your friend switch from saving things directly into his T: drive and create a T:Downloads directory or somesuch.

Quote from: "ironcross"
I'm member of private tracker where there are many Linux distros. But they have not much seed, like the other free stuff - most people download it directly from HTTP/FTP. That's the practice in my country - free stuff from direct downloads, the "other" stuff - from torrents. I'm not seeing nothing wrong with that. I'm helping a lot by seeding a large amount of games, movies and programs, and i'm seeding some of them for years.
Two different things, seeding games/movies/etc "illegally" is helping out your fellow pirates.  Downloading free software from torrents is helping out the people who are kind enough to donate their time to creating and distributing that free software in the first place.

ironcross

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2010, 08:05:41 am »
?here is nothing illegally. Some guys bought some movies, games, etc. and decided to share them with other guys - so what? If i buy some movie DVD and give it to you to watch you too - is that make us criminals ;) No.

DreamAxe

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2010, 11:04:03 am »
Please guys, there's no reason to get into that discussion. Everyone uses torrents for their own reasons and whether it is illegal or not is a matter of debate all around the internet. Either way bittorrent is an amazing :)

Purely a guess, but this could be a bug related to trying to save something directly into the root of a drive.  This wouldn't show up on multi-file torrents since they create their own folder to go into.  As a stopgap, perhaps have your friend switch from saving things directly into his T: drive and create a T:Downloads directory or somesuch.

Sure, that would probably work... However, T: might appear as the root of the drive, but it is actually a full path to a shared folder (C:Downloads), not the root directory of a hard disk (regardless of it being mounted as such on his desktop). True, its appearing as the root of a drive is probably the reason this bug appears, but it really shouldn't  :?

fridgey

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2010, 03:33:56 pm »
That's why I said stopgap, if that's truly the problem it's a bug that needs to be fixed... but it obviously won't be fixed today :D

Peter

• Administrator
  • Forum addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2010, 08:56:57 pm »
If it's a bug or if you even just SUSPECT it as a bug, REPORT IT, on the launchpad bugtracker. Please do NOT report them here. They won't be fixed.

DreamAxe

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2010, 02:55:41 pm »
I had to confirm it first shiki

Confirmed & reported a while ago  :)

Peter

• Administrator
  • Forum addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2010, 03:05:18 pm »
Oh sorry then. :)