Author Topic: Downloads not playing  (Read 58 times)

scoopyx

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 2
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Downloads not playing
« on: October 08, 2019, 12:28:26 PM »
Hi folks.
I've just joined up because I have a very strange issue and I don't know what to do about it.
I've come here because I use qBittorrent exclusively for my torrenting, so I thought I'd ask here.
The issue is this: For a long time, I have been able to download TV shows (primarily in MP4 but now many in MKV) which have played flawlessly on our TV or through the USB slot on our Blu-ray player.
But earlier this year, for some reason nearly all the shows I got just wouldn't play in either machine.
I thought I had tracked the problem down to being a matter of video fps (our equipment only likes 20 to 30 fps), so I'd convert them using HandBrake and away we'd go.
Now, I check every download to see what its framerate is, and even if it's within those limits (it's normally 23.976 fps) ... nope, no go.
I even re-encoded some of them in HandBrake so the fps was within those limits, but still no luck!
What I want to ask is, does anyone know whether uploaders/encoders have changed the way they do things or how they're encoding these things so that they become more problematic?
Or has there been an announcement somewhere that I haven't seen or something?
It's really frustrating, because I thought I'd fathomed it out, only to be caught again.
Anyway, advice or thoughts would be welcome.
Regards,

scoopyx.

scoopyx

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 2
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Downloads not playing
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2019, 01:41:30 PM »
Hello again.
Just in case anyone was wondering (and in the hope of helping others), I have some information that may be useful.
I appear to have sorted this issue out.
It appears that our equipment does not like either the AC-3 audio codec (all the time) or the MKV container (some of the time).
If I run things through HandBrake with settings that I am certain will work on our equipment, everything seems to be happy.
I just make sure it's set to output to MP4, the audio codec is AAC and the FPS is within the limits of our equipment, and away we go.
I had been under the impression it was only the FPS issue, but apparently not.
I still don't know for certain what changed from before, but I'm not complaining.
My wife (and me, to a lesser degree) can now watch the shows we want to.
I hope this will help somebody else if they find that TV shows they downloaded before and which played perfectly, suddenly stop doing so.
It's a good lesson to check your codecs, I suppose!
Regards,

scoopyx.