Multiple Instance Support - One Installation for Private Tracker, One for Public

Discuss suggestions and ideas for the forums, site, software.
dracho

Multiple Instance Support - One Installation for Private Tracker, One for Public

Post by dracho »

I want to keep my private tracker torrents (which I care about greatly, and want my interface focused on upload stats) segregated from my public tracker torrents (which I don't care about as much and want my interface focused on downloading stats).

I tried running the portable version of qbittorrent, but it failed because the installed version was running.

I resorted to this solution:  Running qbittorrent as a different user.

This is accomplished by first creating a new LIMITED local user account (be sure to give it a password, otherwise you're opening yourself up for easy security risks) then creating a shortcut to qbittorrent.exe and editing the Target field to match: C:\Windows\System32\runas.exe /user:SECONDARYUSER /savecred "C:\Program Files\qBittorrent\qbittorrent.exe" (replacing SECONDARYUSER with your new account's username of course).

The first time you double-click the icon, you'll be prompted for your new account's password.  The /savecred switch will remember this password and won't ask you again.  (This may be a security risk too... I'm actually not sure how or where the password is saved... that's why I definitely recommend the new account NOT be an administrator.)

I then put this shortcut in my Startup folder in the Start Menu.

Unfortunately, whenever I log on, I see a very brief command prompt window pop up while the Runas.exe application launches qbittorrent.  This brief box is annoying, and that's why I'm making this post, but the method described still technically works great.  I keep the qbittorrent instance launched from my secondary account open at all times, since it has my private torrents and I launch qbittorrent normally from the taskbar or by clicking a magnet link. 

It would be nice to allow the user to have two instances installed and open at once.  Maybe make an option in the Advanced settings to "Allow multiple instances."

Thank you!
Thebesda

Re: Multiple Instance Support - One Installation for Private Tracker, One for Public

Post by Thebesda »

if i recall, most private trackers disables public tracker settings by default.
http://puu.sh/Cx1rZ/a3fe1dae31.png
so even if you want to use DHT, PEX and LSD you can, as long as you're certain the private tracker autodisables them.
now of course the client may "bug" out which i'm worried about and leak these settings in some ways so i stay away from them mostly but it's something to keep in mind i guess.
dracho

Re: Multiple Instance Support - One Installation for Private Tracker, One for Public

Post by dracho »

Yes, I could keep both sets of torrents in the same client, and I have done so in the past without issue, but I would like to segregate them.  This allows me to customize the columns in each instance differently.

My "dual" setup works, it would just be nice if the process of setting it up was more user friendly.  I spent quite a bit of time searching for ways to allow two installations on the same machine, then it occurred to me that I could probably use a second account, then I talked with some folks in my private tracker's IRC, then I tested various methods of launching programs, then I tested my theory with one small torrent successfully, then I finally imported all of my torrents to the new user's installation... it was a long, lightly-documented process.
hunter

Post by hunter »

Hello Guys,

Sorry for raising this topic again, but are there any plans to implement this functionality? -- I'm looking for replacement for other (I'll not say it's name) client -- and it's simply one command-line argument there...

Best regards...
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

OP's "other user" solution is totally fine and there is nothing wrong with that.
It's perfectly fine, safe, and should be used. Windows, Linux (and I guess Mac) all support multi user environments.
Theoretically you could run 10 users sessions at once.
Thebesda wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:41 pm if i recall, most private trackers disables public tracker settings by default.
http://puu.sh/Cx1rZ/a3fe1dae31.png
so even if you want to use DHT, PEX and LSD you can, as long as you're certain the private tracker autodisables them.
now of course the client may "bug" out which i'm worried about and leak these settings in some ways so i stay away from them mostly but it's something to keep in mind i guess.
This is 100% correct. You do NOT have to disable anything if you run a private torrent, the client will respect that the torrent is private.
Basically this "disable DHT" and whatnot is an old myth/thing from the very early days of Bittorrent. It originates from the days of old BitLord, and the old uTorrent beta versions, etc.
hunter

Post by hunter »

Peter wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:06 pm OP's "other user" solution is totally fine and there is nothing wrong with that.
It's perfectly fine, safe, and should be used. Windows, Linux (and I guess Mac) all support multi user environments.
Theoretically you could run 10 users sessions at once.
Yes -- there is nothing "wrong" with that solution, except it's kinda pretty long walk around. Not mentioning overheads in the OS to support all those sessions.
On the other side only new parameter should be added to the app or location information to the mutex -- when qBittorrent checks for other instances.
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

Yea but imagine if people would copy out that argument and launch multiple instances by mistake causing a mess... I don't know...
Well, I am no project lead, so yea I have no say in this. You should check the Github issue tracker.