New status colours

Discuss suggestions and ideas for the forums, site, software.

Would you agree with the color scheme proposed in the description?

Yes
44%
No
12%
Yes, with modifications (comment below)
44%

Total votes: 59

sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

New status colours

Post by sledgehammer_999 »

With v3.2.x I will change the colour scheme of the torrent status. This is what I have in mind. If you want to propose something else choose accordingly and comment below.

Error: Red
Paused: Grey
Queued:Grey
Downloading: Black
Seeding: Blue/light blue (something easy on the eye).
Stopped: Grey (if I add a stop button)

Stalled uploaders or stalled downloaders should not have a different color from seeding or downloading respectively. Do you agree?

(Depending on the suggestions I might run a new revised poll)
Nemo
Administrator
Administrator

Re: New status colours

Post by Nemo »

The colors seems good to me.

Error: Red, definitly the right color.
Paused: Grey, I was thinking of making this the Stop button instead Pause (just a suggestion, im happy with Pause too doing the same thing)
Queued: Grey, Paused and Queued both Grey meaning that there isn't any activity (yet) seems good.
Downloading: Black, if you mean this with the white background then its good instead the green one that we have right now.
Seeding: Light blue would be nice I think. Lets see what others thinks about this too.
Stopped: Grey, same as Paused/Queued.

Suggestion: Instead having the whole torrent name in these colors you could change just the icons infront of the downloads. The letters torrent name and such would be black (green/orange right now depending on its activity) and then the icons infront of the torrents having these colors. The Status tab says what its doing so that shouldn't be that much of a confusion. Like for example the light blue icon when its seeding. A green icon could fit for downloading also in this case. When the torrent is active it could be black and when its stopped/paused/queued grey. What do you think?

Your opinions does count so lets hear it folks :D.
Last edited by Nemo on Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

For "Seeding", anything other than the current insipid yellow on white is fine with me.
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

Don't forget to vote in the poll. (ciaobaby)
UsL

Post by UsL »

Hard coded black wouldn't look good (or at all) on a black back ground user like myself. I'm sure I'm not alone. It should be as avoided as having smthng hard coded white.

Otherwise it looks good.

Edit: Or as Nemo said, having what ever text the OS has as default and let the icons do the job of current torrent state description.
I think that would actually be the best approach as it would avoid any issues with people having alternate background colours.
Last edited by UsL on Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
anonymous_ux

Post by anonymous_ux »

Could you please switch it to a more mordern FLAT/Minimal UI type? Not only is it good, but since thats where all UI is heading, it would provide a more consistent user experience.
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

[quote="UsL"]
Hard coded black wouldn't look good (or at all) on a black back ground user like myself. I'm sure I'm not alone. It should be as avoided as having smthng hard coded white.

Otherwise it looks good.

Edit: Or as Nemo said, having what ever text the OS has as default and let the icons do the job of current torrent state description.
I think that would actually be the best approach as it would avoid any issues with people having alternate background colours.
[/quote]

I was thinking the following instead. But since I haven't actually tested I don't know if it will work.
Have 2 sets of font colors. One set for light backgrounds and one for dark backgrounds. And decide which set to use based on the background. It seems that there are ways to determine what kind of background you have programmatically:
1-> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/596 ... -rgb-color
2-> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/185 ... ound-color

This would be awesome if it actually works.
The above set is for light backgrounds. For darker backgrounds we might need to only switch black/grey with white/something else.
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

[quote="anonymous_ux"]
Could you please switch it to a more mordern FLAT/Minimal UI type? Not only is it good, but since thats where all UI is heading, it would provide a more consistent user experience.
[/quote]

Are you talking about icons? If yes, this is not the place. This thread is only for the text color in the transfer list. All other colors will be the system' colors.
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

Why not just have it read from a XML tree of RGB hex codes. It only needs to be read at GUI start up and then and nobody can complain about the choices.
CuriousTorrentor

Post by CuriousTorrentor »

Please get rid of the god-awful grey and orange on white. If possible try to avoid neon colors too. Maybe make the background grey instead of white or pure black, and for colors like green go with a forest green instead of a neon green.
TheMinecrafter

Post by TheMinecrafter »

For me, I would like:
Error: Red
Paused: Grey
Queued: Light purple
Downloading: Blue
Seeding: Green
Stopped: Black

I really would like the option to edit the GUI without having to build the program from source. Perhaps an .xml or .css file to load a color scheme, and icons if possible.

I made a mockup, some of the elements might be misaligned or have the wrong text, but for the most part is done.
Feel free to post your thoughts on this mockup.
Calidude

Post by Calidude »

We need to get rid of the grey entirely. Sledgehammer, I suggest that downloading = green and everything you wrote as grey should be black.
zeomal

Post by zeomal »

Black for downloading? Something nicer like the (current) green would be better.
Last edited by zeomal on Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

Why the hate for grey?!?!
I could leave the downloading as green. I just thought black should indicate active torrents and grey inactive torrents.

EDIT: @ the user you said to leave them all black and differentiate via the status icon/status text. I think color coding is a powerful tool if used correctly.
zeomal

Post by zeomal »

Grey is not exactly a colour that lighten's one's mood.
It kind of brings in a feeling of desperation or hopelessness.
(Yeah, this is my personal interpretation, but I'm pretty sure a large group of people feel the same way.)

[quote="sledgehammer_999"]
I think color coding is a powerful tool if used correctly.
[/quote]
You might also want to check out this article: http://everything2.com/title/Colors+of+emotions. This should definitely help you organise things.
Last edited by zeomal on Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.