pause qt when using the net

Discuss suggestions and ideas for the forums, site, software.
arcos

pause qt when using the net

Post by arcos »

sorry for my english, (french), is it possible that qt be in pause when google chrome or mozilla start, and stop pause when the navigateur stop ? :geek:
Nemo
Administrator
Administrator

Re: pause qt when using the net

Post by Nemo »

Hmm.. So if I get it you're meaning that qB must download when you are not using firefox/internet and stop (or pause) qB when you are using firefox/internet? Why would you want that though?
arcos

Post by arcos »

it is for my wife !! she does not support when the browser is not speed, and don't want to see any torrent ....
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

A bosskey would help. (Or who is the man in the family? :P)
arcos

Post by arcos »

not a booskey ! she is not stupid ! :D
ShakaZ

Post by ShakaZ »

I'd suggest you an alternative method that should make both of you happy.

QoS : should be available on your router, you can set it up so your connection is never saturated and use it to prioritise traffic, like put bittorrent traffic in lowest priority so other internet packets pass first.

Traffic shaper : same idea, this time on your computer. If your on linux i'd suggest wondershaper as it's very easy to set up and gives quite good results. Ping times going from over 2000ms to less than 50ms on a fully loaded connection. On windows there are some pretty good and easy options available, not too hard to find.

You may want to read about bufferbloat also.

Basically if you make sure your connection is never completely used up, then internet access should not suffer from your p2p traffic.