New Feature: stalled torrent timeout goes to the bottom

Discuss suggestions and ideas for the forums, site, software.
darkmas

New Feature: stalled torrent timeout goes to the bottom

Post by darkmas »

Hi everyone, I use qBittorrent quite often, I think the UI is great, its simple, ease to use, and isn't feature bloated. And the search is AWESOME, period! But, there is one and only one reason that I can't dump ktorrent for qBittorrent. It seems like a simple think but what do I know?

Feature
Move stalled torrents to the bottom of the queue.

Reason for need
Most torrents have a small number of seeders/leachers and this can vary significantly, minute by minute over the course of a few ways to a week. I find that I can have 10 torrents in the queue, with two active downloads. A few hours later, one (or both) of them are stalled, so I pause them and then the next two start up. If they don't have activity then I go down the list. Inevitably I'll find one that now has a bunch of seeders/leachers connected and so I run that torrent, etc., etc. Sometimes, I just disable queueing, start ALL the torrents, wait a few minutes to see which ones (if any) start downloading, then I pause the other ones, re-enable the queue by setting the number of active downloads to the number that are now active, manually move the active ones to the top queue slots and then finally I restart all the other torrents, which are now queued up. Unfortunately this is tedious and suddenly I find myself tricked into slavery by my computer (again). :shock:

Description
  1. On the Options -> BitTorrent dialog in the "Torrent queueing" section add a check box and corresponding spinner. Something like: (X) Move torrent to the bottom of the queue after [NNN] minutes. Minutes could range between 5 and 120 or whatever is good, 15 minutes is a reasonable default.
  2. When this setting is enabled, for each active torrent just move to the end of the end of queue if it stalls for longer than the chosen time period. Don't pause it.
  3. Obviously if there are enough slots for the number of torrents then there's nothing to do.
  4. That helps me. But doesn't really help the rest of the community. If you could somehow do the exact same thing independently for uploads that would be awesome!!!! Do you see why? I've got hundreds of torrents now (mostly rare classical music stuff, etc.) and I know that at any given point in time somebody somewhere is trying to download one of them, while I've got 3 or 4 dead torrents sitting in the upload queue. If qbittorent could go down the list and seed them for a little while (30 minutes perhaps) then move it to the bottom, don't "pause" it. I could do the math (I think) but seems obvious how much more effectively I could seed things and how much better qBittorrent would be for seeding AND downloading for the community. Ktorrent doesn't even do that!!!!
Anyway, thanks for all you have done, I think qBittorrent is a good example of an app that is neither too narrow nor two wide in its focus and hence is simple to use and very effective. Please please please don't turn it into bloatware. I can tell by the frequency, quality and size of the updates in launchpad how hard you folks are working AND productively so. (yes, I work in the computer industry. Please don't hold that against me. :-) )

-B
ShakaZ

Re: New Feature: stalled torrent timeout goes to the bottom

Post by ShakaZ »

Indeed it's a very useful option of ktorrent and adding that to seeding torrents would be a good idea. I'd even wish that to go further by being able to set % of upload and/or time and also allocate permanent slots to seed you want to keep running. I remember having that kind of options on some torrent programs and emule mods years ago.