Bitcomet's specific URI

Discuss suggestions and ideas for the forums, site, software.
Boban

Bitcomet's specific URI

Post by Boban » Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:05 am

Can you support specific of [url=bc://bt/***]bc://bt/***[/url] URI?

Magnet URI support only is not full support of BitComet.
I know uTorrent don't support it.
However,
We often come across this type of URI. It's needed for us.

christophe.dumez
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Bitcomet's specific URI

Post by christophe.dumez » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:00 am

Could you point me to a location where I can find such URIs?

I have to admit I did not even know they existed.
qBittorrent author

Boban

Post by Boban » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:22 pm

[quote=""christophe.dumez""]Could you point me to a location where I can find such URIs?

I have to admit I did not even know they existed.[/quote]

Not so many times, but sometimes you can encounter it.
You can find it here.
http://www.taringa.net/posts/juegos/128 ... -y-pc.html.

Athanator91 dijo Más de 8 meses:
"bc://bt/QUEvRkFIUkVOSEVJVC8zOTQ5ODY1MDA0L2YxYTI5MzgzMTJlYzNlNjI4Y2QyZmM4YjAyMGQ3OWE0MGU2M"

christophe.dumez
Administrator
Administrator

Post by christophe.dumez » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:21 pm

I have just implemented the bc link support in SVN for qBittorrent v2.3.0 :)

I have tested with a few links I found, it seems to download fine.

Thanks a lot for the suggestion. Unfortunately, the bc link format is undocumented so this was a bit tricky to decode :)
qBittorrent author

christophe.dumez
Administrator
Administrator

Post by christophe.dumez » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:21 pm

What distro are you using? If you are using Ubuntu, I can update my PPA for you to test.
qBittorrent author

Boban

Post by Boban » Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:59 am

Sad to say, I'm using Vista x64

christophe.dumez
Administrator
Administrator

Post by christophe.dumez » Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:04 am

Don't worry, you will get it soon on Windows too.
qBittorrent author

christophe.dumez
Administrator
Administrator

Post by christophe.dumez » Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:07 pm

Last edited by christophe.dumez on Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
qBittorrent author

christophe.dumez
Administrator
Administrator

Post by christophe.dumez » Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:23 pm

Actually, if you have not updated yet, please wait for the rc9 to be uploaded. I have just fixed a crash upon torrent completion.
qBittorrent author

christophe.dumez
Administrator
Administrator

Post by christophe.dumez » Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:35 pm

qBittorrent author

DasFox

Post by DasFox » Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:28 am

I remember in the past reading some problems with Bitcoment, can't remember, but on Wikipedia it talks about a FileHippo issue, either way I know there was something going in the past that made things look bad for Bitcoment.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BitComet

All I can say is Bitcoment leaves a bad taste in my mouth and it's also proprietary software and a great open-source project like this should not be mixing into it's software anything proprietary for any reasons.

I think and know there are many issues one can discuss over the matters of Open-Source and Proprietary, but one thing I do like when I see it in Open-Source, are those that do not embrace Proprietary things, ideas, etc... into their software.

So forgive my ignorance here, but if this URI is anything related to Bitcoment I wouldn't have anything to do with it in qBittorrent.

christophe.dumez
Administrator
Administrator

Post by christophe.dumez » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:48 am

Dasfox> It is better to stay compatible as much as possible, in my opinion. The user finds a link on the web, he feeds it to qbittorrent and qbittorrent will download it, no matter what the link format is. To support BitComet URIs, I simply wrote a routine to convert them to magnet URIs.
qBittorrent author

DasFox

Post by DasFox » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:38 am

I think that compatibility, when you are dealing with Open-Source VS Proprietary, can be a, Can of Worms', if you understand the expression.

Let's look at it this way, the ---> 'FSF' (Freedom Software Foundation). I'm sure you're quite aware of them and Stallman does have an extreme view, but never the less, many people do embrace open-source on the simplest levels also, not wanting to simply be a part of the Evil Empire they think of as Microsoft and it's proprietary world. So anytime the word proprietary comes into the conversation, companies like Microsoft, Apple and so on come to mind and ideas of their destruction proprietary plays upon open-source are in people's minds.

So the point is simply this, yes I understand you want to make qBittorrent have more features and compatibility so it looks better to more people, but then you have to look at it like this too, you are making an open-source application, which has it's value and meaning to that open-source community and quite honestly in that idea sometimes people don't mix the two, some do, some don't. So in the end it's really hard to say if it will back fire on you or not.

I think and know there is good and bad in the proprietary world.

I know there is only bad in the open-source because of a few simple things, people don't want to code for free and they have a hard time coding something for hardware that is closed source, like trying to make FOSS ATI, NVIDIA, or Flash work in Linux.

I've seen the mentality of users out there and their reply to such comments

1. ' I use it because it works' ( My reply back to this is it doesn't always work for everyone )

2. I like choices that's why I use it, because it's better. (Again same thing, I'll use it too if it's the best choice, but sometimes it isn't really, it's the ONLY choice).

The biggest problems amongst computer users is they believe it's the best choice but the truth is, if we had an open source alternative would it really be? Also many times with Proprietary it's the only choice and not the best choice and because of being Proprietary and closed it makes it hard for people to make a good FOSS alternative.

Perfect examples of the problems in the Proprietary world:

ATI
NVIDIA
Flash

So the end of the story, goes back to this BIG can of worms it is and really can be, that's why I don't believe that in every situation you mix the two.

Here's my own personal thought here on this and many take it too.

1. Linux is still more the underground, hacker rebel OS, more for the geeks.
2. P2P is also part of this underground scene in a way, rebel pirates, almost something a kin to Linux users.

So with thought to 1 & 2 I never think it's wise to mix the Linux P2P world with Proprietary. It's like mixing the Upper Class with the Lower Class, the Snobs with the Hood. ;)

So now everyone here might being going, what the heck does this have to do with Bitcomet's specific URI? Well Bitcomet is standing on the side of the fence for proprietary and not wanting to share, qBittorrent is being Robin Hood taking this Proprietary world back from the rich and giving it the poor to explain it quite simply, so don't laugh because it's the TRUTH!

PEACE

christophe.dumez
Administrator
Administrator

Post by christophe.dumez » Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:17 pm

You are strong opinions DasFox and I repect that ;) However, I'm more a "trying to please as many users as possible" kind of person :p

I do not advertise this feature at all but it works and it did not take much time to implement. If it pleases a few users, that good enough for me.
Who knows, it might even help BitComet users to switch to qBittorrent ;)
qBittorrent author