Ban By Client

Discuss suggestions and ideas for the forums, site, software.
spareme

Ban By Client

Post by spareme »

Hi,

i would request the developers to add a "Ban By Client" option if possible. All of you who use bitorrent clients must have noticed there is a very annoying client out there called XUNLEI, which does not believe in sharing from its end. It does connect to our client, takes a connection slot (useless to us), starts downloading from our upload but never allows us to download from it, especially in torrents with less seeders and peers.

This behaviour of Xunlei also destroys a complete copy of the file. Our client believes it has uploaded and met the file sharing ratio, however the peer connecting to Xunlei would not be able to download, eventually resulting in the destruction and end of file sharing of that particuler file.

Now, i know we can reject connection to such clients by enabling protocol encryption or as in qbittorrent by increasing the encryption level to require encryption. But this is global, not every client has protocol encryption enabled, hence most of the times the connection is not encrypted, resulting our client to refuse connection to and from genuine file sharing clients, because of increased encryption mode, hence slower downloads.

Again, i know that i can ban and kick peers which use Xunlei, but what if they have a static ip and they decide not to use Xunlei anymore? also what if they have a dynamic ip and that ip gets allotted to a genuine file sharing client later on? so this is also not a good and permanent solution.

All in all, i will again request the developers to add a "Ban By Client" option so we can ban such pathetic clients from connecting to us.

Thanks.
blabla

Re: Ban By Client

Post by blabla »

BUT the actual problem is the fact, the people share copyrighted materials... To avoid being sued, some try to be clever and use a zero-upload client. Because so far, the copyright mafia concentrates on suing mainly uploaders and avoid suing downloaders.

To achieve this, you either disassemble a closed source client or, much more easily, modify a open source client. Of course you can (and should) also modify the ID, so this client claims to be µTorrent version 2.1 or whatever you want.

And because it is much easier to modify open source clients, quite often, open source clients are banned by their closed source "colleges". This is of course stupid, because, people creating such a zero-upload client, also change the ID, so they avoid being detected as vampires. In the open nobody cares, in closed communities, where they probably monitor you upload, I could imagine they force you to use newest version of some closed source client to avoid being betrayed.

Now Xunlei in particular is closed source and is claimed to be a vampire by design, cf. -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xunlei#Con ... criticisms
so you have a valid argument.

But giving the user the possibility to ban by client, will - in the long run - only hurt the FOSS community.
SparkyFlary

Post by SparkyFlary »

I too would like to request the ability to ban clients or atleast some way to keep the leechers from killing off the torrent.
I do not like Xunlei and similar clients.
Brogyi

Post by Brogyi »

The idea is not bad but I think much more important the "idle peer and seed". I don't care which client there is on the other side.I repeat again the sending data much more important.The banning system must works automatically.When the download is finished the client must switch off the ban.The idle time is to 40 sec. May be less time if it good.For example I have 50 seeder and peer but I receive the data only 20 or 25.Very bad thing,isn't it? I hope the coder is read this ;)