more settings regarding "connection", and dont hide them

Discuss suggestions and ideas for the forums, site, software.
blabla

more settings regarding "connection", and dont hide them

Post by blabla »

like here: http://ktetch.wordpress.com/2009/12/19/ ... -settings/

Explain the meaning in the wiki (that what a wiki is there for).
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Re: more settings regarding "connection", and dont hide them

Post by Peter »

It's a simple guide to set up your client settings. There are many HOWTOs like that.
Basically the rules:
  • Don't set the max connections too high
  • Always leave some upload speed (like use 90-95% of it)
  • Don't start 50,000 torrents at the same time ... use the queue.
blabla

Post by blabla »

You misunderstood my post. I think qBittorrent is missing settings. Under "connection/connection limits" only have:
  * globale max # of connections
  * max # of connections per torrent
  * max # of upload slots per torrent

The maximum # of active torrents can be set under "Bittorrent/Torrent queueing"

Aren't there more options/settings possible?

It would be nice to read some reasons for the proposed settings. The mentioned page suggest
  10 mbit/sec  ? 1000?  20?  100?  500?  20?  15?

Why? With 10MBit/s (=1.250.000 Bytes/sec=1,19MiB/sec) 1000 KiloBYTES/second (=1.000.000Bytes/sec) are proposed. I think this value is to high, because it leaves to little bandwidth for the response packets. But I am only guessing and looking at the numbers, so is the author.

Do you have a link to a good site explaining the proposed numbers? Math instead of Voodoo.

Also, where can I read about the meaning/impact of some of the "Advanced setting"?
loki

Post by loki »

Okay, you're asking for a wiki explaining why those guidelines are set? The link to the corresponding section in the wiki... it does not contain the suggested settings though.
http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/q ... ection_Tab

As for figuring speed of connection Megabits, as what most ISP's list their speed as... no idea why (bigger sounds better), divide by 8 to get actual Megabytes speed. Simple bits to bytes conversion... no voodoo. Then 80% of 10 Megabits bandwidth is 1000 Kilobytes... exactly as they say. (80% is quite conservative, personally upload speed I usually use about 90% with no ill effects, and don't even set a download limit.)

Now, if the ISP quotes a speed to you as a peak or "burst" speed I could see potential for concern of it not being enough to compensate for the response packet. My experience though, they are very right on for upload speed ratings (the part that really matters for leaving "head space" for sending response packets.) Another thing, download speed will automatically adjust (slower) if you try to download too fast.

Helpful?

It seems the wiki is quite lacking, especially on the advanced settings. Sorry, no help here on those.

Sorry, I'll revise that again. The settings you say are missing I believe are just in other locations of the config menu. BitTorrent, Torrent Queueing section if you want to use the guidelines from that page. And (I believe) the setting for "Upload slots" is in the advanced tab under Outgoing Ports max. I also caution that the settings in the advanced tab are all optional and not required unless you have the need and know what you are doing.
Last edited by loki on Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.