Why is this forum at shiki.hu, not qbittorrent.org

Discuss suggestions and ideas for the forums, site, software.
xichael

Why is this forum at shiki.hu, not qbittorrent.org

Post by xichael »

Why use this random, meaningless url when you could use something like forum.qbittorrent.org? A domain like shiki.hu just doesn't seem legitimate. No one would ever believe this is the "official forums" if it didn't say so at the top — and even then, it doesn't seem particularly trustworthy.
ADTC

Re: Why is this forum at shiki.hu, not qbittorrent.org

Post by ADTC »

It's the same. Just that the masking is not working currently. If you go to forum.qbittorrent.org it redirects here.
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

[quote="xichael"]
Why use this random, meaningless url when you could use something like forum.qbittorrent.org? A domain like shiki.hu just doesn't seem legitimate. No one would ever believe this is the "official forums" if it didn't say so at the top — and even then, it doesn't seem particularly trustworthy.
[/quote]

- The domain has a valid whois record and no privacy protection. If that is not trustworthy, I don't know what is.
- The domain got a valid certificate for our HTTPS support, again, valid, legit.

Now for the real answer:
- Because I started the forum back then, and I had this domain registered.
After contacting Chris - the former project lead, the person who started the project, he said fine, let's do it.
This is how it started.
- After we got bigger I contacted him about changing the url, but he said it's fine.

And honestly, no one else brought it up even after so many years.
If Sledgehammer - the current project lead - decides so, we will move the domain.
(Assign current one as redirect, and use the .org as main. Basically, switch them up.
But the SSL re-issue might bring some troubles.)
Last edited by Peter on Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nemo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nemo »

What does it matter really, as long as its functional it doesn't matter if its .hu/.com/.org in my opinion.
Killua

Post by Killua »

Oh! I thought shiki.hu was some free forum hosting service  :P