Check boxes next to every torrent list entree

Discuss suggestions and ideas for the forums, site, software.
MJ.nfl

Check boxes next to every torrent list entree

Post by MJ.nfl »

My final suggestion is to have check boxes next to every torrent list entree.

This would allow multiple selection of torrent entries and their easy manipulation with other commands.

Let's say you have 10 completed entries of a same movie in qbittorrent but you want to check the quality before deciding which to delete.
After checking the video (if you do not like the quality) you can mark the entree for deletion by selecting the check box next to it. And then you go on with that for the remaining videos and then delete selected entries with a single click.

PS: Suggestion posted on github as Wishlist
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Check boxes next to every torrent list entree

Post by Peter »

If you hold down the CTRL key on your keyboard, then use the mouse (left button), you can select multiple torrents and do what you want.
Right, this requires using the keyboard AND mouse simultaneously.

(Maybe there is a keyboard shortcut for selection elements...
There are so many, I doubt anyone knows them all.
I thought I am a black belt from shortcuts, then I saw a blind person using only a keyboard.)
MJ.nfl

Post by MJ.nfl »

Using a keyboard for selecting multiple files also complicates the process for the following reasons.

Let's say you have 10 completed entries of the same video in qbittorrent but you want to check the quality  before deciding which to delete.
After checking the video (if you do not like the quality) you can mark the entree for deletion by selecting the check box next to it. And then you go on with that for the remaining 9 videos and then delete selected entries with a single click.

If you use keyboard for selecting multiple files you would first have to check all 10 files and then go by your memory in deciding which ones you wanted to delete thus making an opportunity for mistakes.
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

But if you think about it, if you had checkboxes...
Let's say you tick two.
But you also select three with mouse + CTRL held down.

And then you press DEL, for example.

Which one should the program honor?
Should it ignore the mouse selection? Why?
Should it prioritize keyboard? Also, why?

It just keeps getting better and better. :)
(Don't worry, not saying not gonna happen, you will get a word on the ticket most likely.)
KitKat

Post by KitKat »

Thats a really dumb example scenario..

If the end result is you only keeping one then memory selection doesn't matter, as you only need to remember the 1 you want.
Since you're not watching them all at the same time theres little reason not to delete as you go if the quality is trash which should reduce your list size..
Intelligent torrent selection in the first place should minimize this problem, eg its a 2h video so the 500mb file will look like trash, dont even bother getting it in the first place.

Rant aside..

A better example to argue for would be checkboxes overriding the ctrl+click selection scheme so you can clean a 1000+ torrent list page more reliably/all at once.
And even then the functionality already exists to some extent via labelling.. (put all the stuff you want to purge into the purge label, then filter by that label ctrl+a > ctrl+delete)

[quote="Peter"]
But if you think about it, if you had checkboxes...
Let's say you tick two.
But you also select three with mouse + CTRL held down.

And then you press DEL, for example.

Which one should the program honor?
Should it ignore the mouse selection? Why?
Should it prioritize keyboard? Also, why?
[/quote]
Both, checkboxed torrents should be "marked" as selected but seperated from double click to open actions!
You'd change the functionality of "double click to open" to only apply to the "clicked" torrent or disable it completely whilst checkboxing is open.
This of course comes with its own set of issues and hassles.. I'd kind of like the feature personally. I'd also call it bloat however..
Last edited by KitKat on Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.