Why not make 3.4 become 4.0?

Discuss suggestions and ideas for the forums, site, software.

Should qBittorrent 3.4 just become version 4.0?

Yes
45%
No
55%

Total votes: 11

Calidude

Why not make 3.4 become 4.0?

Post by Calidude »

3.0 came out almost 5 years ago to today's date. Are we going to spend another 5 years updating the 3.x series?

3.4 will have a new look, new torrent creation elements, new major version of libtorrent, and quite a bit more from the looks of the issues page.

How about we call the next version 4.0? It's long overdue.
Switeck

Re: Why not make 3.4 become 4.0?

Post by Switeck »

I vote no.

From what I've read on github concerning bugs in qBitTorrent (and its core libtorrent), I don't want qBitTorrent v4.0 to be as buggy as qBT currently is.

If there's going to be a lot of fan-fair over qBT 4.0, it better NOT be something I easily crash in <5 minutes running. (due to confirmed and old bugs btw)
Calidude

Post by Calidude »

[quote="Switeck"]From what I've read on github concerning bugs in qBitTorrent (and its core libtorrent), I don't want qBitTorrent v4.0 to be as buggy as qBT currently is.

If there's going to be a lot of fan-fair over qBT 4.0, it better NOT be something I easily crash in <5 minutes running. (due to confirmed and old bugs btw)
[/quote]
New major versions are always buggy. It's like when the new Ubuntu comes out, a lot of people wait until the XX.XX.1 version comes out so they don't have to deal with the first major bugs.

However, we can still release qBittorrent 4.0, and this is how.

1) Don't post the 4.0 beta on the mainpage.

2) Post the beta only on the qBittorrent forum.

3) Extend the beta for many months until it is finally stable. Use new versions like Beta 1, Beta 2, Beta 3, and so on.

Once it's stable enough, 4.0 can go to the mainpage.

This is reasonable, right?
vonzel

Post by vonzel »

You like the sound of "Firefox 51" "Chrome 64" huh. Personally i don't care so i don't vote.
Calidude

Post by Calidude »

[quote="vonzel"]
You like the sound of "Firefox 51" "Chrome 64" huh. Personally i don't care so i don't vote.
[/quote]
Those versions go up every 6 weeks. qBittorrent hasn't had a version number go up in 5 years. Bad analogy.
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

Depends on what makes it into the 3.4 final version IMO. If it's groundbreaking, I don't see a reason why not.
@Switeck: I could not crash qBittorrent on any platform (except OSX. but I used it on everything else, really) since v2, ever. I seeded with 1gbps speeds, had 1000+ torrents, used raided SSDs, and it's never died on me once.
Seriously, not a single time. I am very impressed how the client managed to keep this excellent track record. (At me at least.)
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

Post by sledgehammer_999 »

Guys guys guys.

The last five years 3.0.x, 3.1.x, 3.2.x and 3.3.x were all major versions in their respect.
It's just numbers. Like Firefox/Chrome do, but on another scale :P
Calidude

Post by Calidude »

[quote="sledgehammer_999"]
Guys guys guys.

The last five years 3.0.x, 3.1.x, 3.2.x and 3.3.x were all major versions in their respect.
It's just numbers. Like Firefox/Chrome do, but on another scale :P
[/quote]
Are we syncing version numbers with uTorrent?
Nemo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nemo »

What does it matter which number it has.. Its known that every new number behind the 3 is a major update. In this case 3.4.x jumping from 3.3.x, next will be 3.5.x. I see no reason why it should change really.
Calidude

Post by Calidude »

[quote="Nemo"]
What does it matter which number it has.. Its known that every new number behind the 3 is a major update. In this case 3.4.x jumping from 3.3.x, next will be 3.5.x. I see no reason why it should change really.
[/quote]
It seems from today's news, it actually will become 4.0.
Ryrynz

Post by Ryrynz »

Man, if it was gonna be 4.0 it would need a completely redesigned and modern UI. 4.0 would be a major rewrite of all existing code IMO.
Leave it at 3.4
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

[quote="Ryrynz"]
Man, if it was gonna be 4.0 it would need a completely redesigned and modern UI. 4.0 would be a major rewrite of all existing code IMO.
Leave it at 3.4
[/quote]

Too late, son.