Heuristic detection of leech attacks

Discuss suggestions and ideas for the forums, site, software.
jo031006

Heuristic detection of leech attacks

Post by jo031006 »

From time to time, I notice that someone will download a torrent, and then, that same person, or set of IPs (usually two or more coming from the same country or same subnet at the same time) after completing a download, will come back hours later and start the download from scratch all over again.  I have tried banning IPs of the most obvious offenders, but it would be great if qbittorrent could detect this type of disruptive attack or at least flag possible attacks.

For example, if two IPs initiate download within a few seconds of eachother, or two IPs with nearly identical addresses, or an IP which has already downloaded to completion (or near completion) comes back later to try to download the same data, the program could automatically block that user, or at least warn the operator of potential attack.

Many of us are generous seeders, but we don't have unlimited bandwidth to work with.  I have already gone into options and set the protocol to "anti-leech" and I think that helps to direct bandwidth to those who are actually sharing, but I find that I have to keep a close eye on things regardless...
Switeck

Re: Heuristic detection of leech attacks

Post by Switeck »

Have you noticed the BitTorrent client names of the "attackers"?
...I fear some may be due to bugs in qBitTorrent and/or libtorrent!
ReallyCoolName

Re: Heuristic detection of leech attacks

Post by ReallyCoolName »

heh, since I use almost exclusively private trackers only I would be glad to such "attacks" as much as possible. Obviously I do have dedicated box and line for torrents and want my client to upload as much as possible. On private trackers seeding is generally a problem as everyone is trying to do the same with high speed boxes :)

p.s. Just looked in torrent client statistics and running 48 days non-stop it managed to upload around 5.3terabytes of data.
Last edited by ReallyCoolName on Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.