Qued/ Daisy-chained Downloads

Discuss suggestions and ideas for the forums, site, software.
Cygnus

Qued/ Daisy-chained Downloads

Post by Cygnus »

Hi all, I am new to this forum, I tried searching for this topic but did not find results.

Is it possible to que downloads in such a way that qBittorrent downloads the first file (ie download 1) then moves on to the next file in the que (ie dl 2, and dl 3 and so on).

I realise that I can set download priority which then allocates resources according to priority, however even with priority ranking qBittorrent will attempt to download ALL downloads in the download list.

The reason for my request is some of us have slow connections and if I put in say 25 downloads onto the list, then qBittrorrent tries to down load all 25 downloads at once and starts allocating download time based on priority on a cyclic basis. This can have the effect of slowing down all downloads to a crawl, and after a few hours you can end up with 1%, 2% 3% but generally less than 5% of any download completed.

In contrast, if I add 25 download and pause all of them, then restart only one download and allow it to completely download, and thereafter start the next download until that is complete and the next thereafter, and so on, in this way after a few hours out of the 25 downloads, I am able to get at least 50% of them completely downloaded.

The problem doing it this way, is that I have to come back to the pc and manually start then next download each time the current download completes downloading. Whilst this is one way of doing downloads and I have been using this method for a while now, I think that there has to be an easier way to accomplish this, so that I can have unattended downloads eg. overnight, whilst I am enjoying my sleep  ;D

Does anyone else prefer to download one download at a time to get a faster download rate, or does everyone not mind just letting qBittorrent download multiple downloads all concurrently.

Would anyone else here benefit from this feature that I am requesting.

There could be a tick box in the download dialouge box, which states the following:

Only start the next download in the que once this download has fully completed?

I understand the risk here is that if one download hangs the que is stuck and to solve this problem you could add another tick box and user defined option,

Park this download and move to the next after XX min of inactivity?

This will also be a tick box with XX min being user defined but having a default value of 30min

The parked download can be revisited and user can determin what they want to do with the download.

I wish I had the programming skills to help add this feature but my abilities in programming and almost 0%

I would appreciate any feedback from other users.

Thanks

Cygnus
rrrevin

Re: Qued/ Daisy-chained Downloads

Post by rrrevin »

The devs could do this by matching this to a "Category".

Different torrent queuing and ratios per category. Would add a very powerful mechanism, especially for private torrents.