Tracker Reannouce

Discuss suggestions and ideas for the forums, site, software.
vercinstex

Tracker Reannouce

Post by vercinstex »

Hi
I've seen in QBittorrent there is the function tracker reannouce...
But it seems to not work properly...when i try to reannouce a tracker nothing happen...it remain always not yet contacted...
Can some explain me how can i do?? or is it a kind of bug??

Thanks
Bye bye
vercinstex

Re: Tracker Reannouce

Post by vercinstex »

up
ironcross

Post by ironcross »

[quote=""vercinstex""]...it remain always not yet contacted...[/quote]
What that mean? You can't connect to any tracker?
Nemo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nemo »

I think he means this;

If you got like 5 trackers at a torrent then qBittorrent announces on the first one and getting peers from there but the other 4 under it are not being contacted, announced.

I did noticed too that if you force reannounce nothing happens, I thought that qBittorrent was announcing on all trackers provided by the torrent but it isnt. If the first tracker fails then it switches to the 2nd. Multitracker would be better so it announces all together.
nevernow

Post by nevernow »

[quote=""NeMo_0""]I think he means this;

If you got like 5 trackers at a torrent then qBittorrent announces on the first one and getting peers from there but the other 4 under it are not being contacted, announced.

I did noticed too that if you force reannounce nothing happens, I thought that qBittorrent was announcing on all trackers provided by the torrent but it isnt. If the first tracker fails then it switches to the 2nd. Multitracker would be better so it announces all together.[/quote]

I'm not sure what the OP meant, but this is not tue: qB connects to all trackers listed in the torrent. I think the OP actually meant that the "Force reannounce" function (right click on the tracker name in the Tracker pane) doesn't seem to work, in that it seems to do nothing at all. What it should do is to override the announce interval settings of the tracker and immediately... reannounce itself.
Nemo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nemo »

If qBittorrent connects to all trackers why are they 'not contacted yet' then? Only the 1st tracker is in progress and working, showing number of peers etc. :? .. And also he must be trying to announce to the other trackers cause the 1st one is working already and by that (force) reannounce doesn't work on them, that is what he means cause it also doesn't work for me. And if you read good he means also the trackers which are 'Not contacted yet', not the working one already so you're wrong. Offcourse you can't reannounce every second..

Lets go on. More information; its like this:
1. Working (number of peers) -> Tracker that works, the 1st one.
2. Not contacted yet -> These 3 trackers under it are inactive, if you (force) announce they still don't get to work.
3. Not contacted yet

Screenshot if you still ain't believing:
Different torrent, with even more trackers:

It must be something like this if it really does announce to all trackers, then I would say you're right:
Different client for example.

The other trackers are not being contacted, even there it says 'yet'. That yet must be forever I guess, saying this after using the client for couple of hours. Other clients contact them all at start, see example. Does multi tracker support even work or perhaps a bug; your choice ;).

Im done.
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

Chris said it was a missing feature or a bug in libtorrent-rasterbar. But I don't know why it wouldn't work now..with the new release..
nevernow

Post by nevernow »

[quote=""NeMo_0""]If qBittorrent connects to all trackers why are they 'not contacted yet' then?[/quote]
Of course I didn't mean to call you a liar, I just meant that I often download multi-tracker torrents and in a few seconds all trackers get a status. I'm not sure it's a rasterbar bug either. My idea is that if the first tracker provides enough peers to reach your per-torrent or global peer number limit, other trackers are not contacted. Whether this is a bug or a feature can be discussed - I also do not know (whether this is true and) whether seeds and leechers are treated equally, since it would make sense, in the situation I described, to contact a second tracker and swap some leechers for some seeders when possible.

On isohunt.com you can find a lot of multi-tracker, low-peer-count torrents which could help proving my theory right or wrong; I can provide a link to a specific one which I just added to qB a few minutes ago and whose trackers were all contacted in a matter of seconds. In any case, you can do a test with any multi-tracker torrent by raising your peer limits to a very high number.

All this said, I do believe the "Force Reannounce" function is broken, but I don't know whether it's rasterbar's fault or not.
christophe.dumez

Post by christophe.dumez »

vercinstex> What OS/distro are you using?

The issue if not the tracker reannounce feature, it works fine as far as I know. However, libtorrent v0.14.x (The one we currently use on Windows) does not attempt to contact all trackers if its finds one working tracker. So, if you keep forcing the reannounce, it will simply do it for this particular tracker.

The tracker contacting behavior in libtorrent v0.15 changed though : it is more uTorrent like. It will contact all the trackers at the same time.
All you need to do is to update to libtorrent v0.15.x if possible. If you are using Windows, then you are out of luck for now but we should package the new libtorrent soon I guess.
Nemo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nemo »

Great to hear that as im a windows user ;)!
Switeck

Multi-Tracker Support!

Post by Switeck »

Multi-tracker torrents sometimes have tracker tiers, where some trackers have both a HTTP and udp tracker. (or even HTTPS tracker!)
qBitTorrent should support such tracker tiers and only (re)announce to either the HTTP or udp tracker not both.

libtorrent supports tracker tier announcements -- it even has 2 different modes for that, announce only to the first tracker tier or announce to all tracker tiers (preferred default setting).

The current all-or-nothing choice for tracker announcements means qBT will be harder to use as either torrents will be very slow to start if a dead tracker is auto-selected at first ...or eventually more trackers will go offline for good, especially with the favicon spam.

I am not in favor of what seems the current default setting for qBT which is to announce to all trackers.
cheesetrap

Post by cheesetrap »

These two threads I'm posting in are some of the first results in Google for a relevant search about 'qbittorrent force reannounce not working', so I've registered just to put the working answer here.  The problem is a user interface bug with qbittorrent, at least up to version 4.0.3 (I don't use the latest because it had a different problem for me). Switech has given some of the relvant information her, but stopped short of giving a working answer, so here it is.

The solution is to select a tracker, any tracker, in the list, and click one of the big arrows at the right side of the window.  This changes the tracker tiers so that instead of all being tier 0 (as they start out), they change to 1/2/3/4 etc.  The problem is that qbittorrent will only update a single tracker from each tier (which is fine) but it puts all trackers in the same tier (which is a bug).

As soon as you click one of those arrows everything will work great :)

Kind regards,
- Matthew
Boozon

Post by Boozon »

@cheesetrap:

Thanks!!! Best answer!  :D

Totally helped, and (as far as I can see) suddenly increased the speed of many of my downloads.

Has this been reported to or noticed by the development team so that they can fix this issue?