Improving Documentation

Discuss suggestions and ideas for the forums, site, software.
quitemad

Improving Documentation

Post by quitemad »

Hi I am new to forums in general, so apologies if this is in the wrong spot and for the length.

I have been trying to work out the Run an external program on torrent completion. I find the explanation on the Wiki less than helpful "This allows you to run a program on finishing certain types of torrents in a certain location" which leaves me wondering what type of torrents and what locations, will it only work for some torrents and some locations? or is the statement just poorly worded and it will work for all torrents and locations?

Looking under the preferences in the program is almost as confusing, Torrent Name, Category, Tags, Number of Files, Torrent size, Current tracker all make sense, Save path I assume to be the save path set when initiating a download or the category path if using categories, but it is not clear. the Content path and Root path are confusing because the Content Path is the same as the Root path for multifile torrents, so why have two?

The wiki documentation could be greatly improved by the developers providing better explanations of the parameters and including some examples of what each parameter would contain, for example for a "multifile" torrent (whatever that is) and a given save path what would each parameter contain, and for a non "multifile" torrent what would the parameters contain.

While I find qBittorrent to be a good program I find it frustrating that there is functionality available but not useable, for the simple reason that the developer/documenter of the software has chosen not to provide an adequate explanation. I appreciate this is opensource and mostly volunteer coders and English may not be their first or second language, but I would hope someone would help in translation and/or providing clear explanations so that the program is more useful to it's users.

Either way Keep up the good work, and if anyone can clarify the Run an external program on torrent completion stuff I would really appreciate it.

Kind Regards.