[Feature request] Optional minimum peer/seed upload speed

Discuss suggestions and ideas for the forums, site, software.
TheSparrowLenz

[Feature request] Optional minimum peer/seed upload speed

Post by TheSparrowLenz »

I have noticed that on popular torrents I sometimes download off of peers/seeds that upload at below KiB/s speeds. These peers/seeds in essence do not contribute to my downloading of the torrent, in fact they are hogging slots for other, faster peers/seeds to occupy.

I would suggest to have a minimal peer/seed upload speed (adjustable) option implemented so those peers/seeds can be discarded if they fail to reach the limit. By discarded I mean stripped from the ability to upload to you, but in the case of peers of course still allowed to download off of you.

This feature could be implemented on a global basis (global limit) but would be enforced on a per torrent basis. So if the peer/seed appears on another torrent with higher speeds, it doesn't get affected for that particular torrent.

I would argue that this enhances the distribution of the torrent (faster downloading allows for faster seeding when done) without being in danger of being labeled as a leech as you do not limit uploads, just downloads.

Makes sense?
Proof
Proof
Screenshot104132.png (9.66 KiB) Viewed 1167 times
Switeck

Re: [Feature request] Optional minimum peer/seed upload speed

Post by Switeck »

Far as I know BiglyBT and possibly Transmission already does this.
Maybe Tixati can as well...

But qBitTorrent, Deluge, or any other libtorrent-using BitTorrent client does not.
And neither does uTorrent...