Please just make paused Completed Torrents Inert already

Discuss suggestions and ideas for the forums, site, software.
WTe

Please just make paused Completed Torrents Inert already

Post by WTe »

Using v 4.3.6

I have 8,500+ torrents on my Qbittorrent, many going back about a decade now. There were only about 5 downloading and 5 seeding and then something happened which caused Qbittorrent to hang. I waited overnight and it was still unresponsive. When I restarted, the program started rechecking ALL my torrents for no good reason at all, which is an hours long process and it hangs again. Half my completed files are on 0.0% while they exist happily in the folder the program says they are in. Then I have to spend time doing force recheck piecemeal, checking them about 50 at a time. Now after 3 days, half of them (2000+) are 99.9% and the other half are okay back in completed. The 99.9% torrents were all 100% previously, now I just have to hope still exist online or they'll be hanging in the Download thing forever despite being 100% usable.

This has happened to me like at least a dozen times in the past, and each time it gets a bigger and bigger hassle to fix. I'm probably going to be spending another week+ on getting this nightmare back to usable level.

Anybody who uses qbittorrent for more than several hundred torrents uses it as a quasi file organizer. Would it be too much to ask that the files that are both COMPLETED AND PAUSED, just become completely INERT, basically program untouchable archives, and not subject to startup checks and all that nonsense, which has never done anything other than fuck up my day? I have never lost a file on the drive and it's just Qbittorrent that mucks around with inactive complete files and screws everything up - time and again. If I possibly needed to check them, I have force recheck.

This program needs to learn how to recoverable gracefully from hitches or unplanned computer shutdowns without punishing the user with overexcessive checking of past torrents best left alone to rest. It's always been its #1 failing imo. This is especially true of those of us that then go on to delete the .part files throughout the filesystems.

Edit: By the way, for anybody that has ever had these type of issues, I largely cut down on them the past year by turning Saving Management off, completely to Manual. Especially if you have seperate drives where your data ends up vs downloading. The hours long needless pushing of files back and forth on bad startups drove me mental.

Switeck

Re: Please just make paused Completed Torrents Inert already

Post by Switeck »

A partial workaround is back up qBitTorrent's settings and resume files.