Newe noob

skunk

Newe noob

Post by skunk »

Hello fellow downloaders.  I'm fairly new to torrents.  Actually I've only ever used FrostWire and it's worked pretty good.  But I'd like to try and expand my horizon'''s so ibe downloaded this Qbittorrant  program for Android on a S5 and for Win7.  Right now I'm having no luck sething up my program to work.  I'm not the sharpest computer user around as I've been out of the loop  for a long time.

I'm running TorGuard on my mobile device and on Win7 to hide my IP. 

Can anyone offer this noob some helpful advice or links to get me flowing with Qbittorrant.  I'm having no luck setting up and getting going.
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Newe noob

Post by Peter »

So what's exactly your problem with the client?
You installed it and cannot download?

(Mind you, there is no Android client, so whatever you found, it might be a fake clone.
On Android I use "Flud".)
skunk

Post by skunk »

Not sure if it's a problem with my client or with my lack of computer skilks.  Frostwire I just installed and click and download/select what folders to share.

Wit qBitTorrent V3.3.7 I tried installing the client then logging into the :The Pirate Bay".  I click on a download link and  it moves it to my qBittorrent program but it just sits and doesn't do anything.  I'm assuming it's got something to do with my settings
skunk

Post by skunk »

[quote="Peter"]
So what's exactly your problem with the client?
You installed it and cannot download?

(Mind you, there is no Android client, so whatever you found, it might be a fake clone.
On Android I use "Flud".)
[/quote]

Thanks for the tip on Flud.  It works perfect on my android devices.  No problems downloading and seeding files.

No my qBitTorrant  is hit and miss.  I've had one successful download not sure how it happened .  Looking at my client and the connection it's a yellow color and says connection  status :
No direct connections.  This may indicate  network configuration problems...

Could this possibly be due in part to my VPN services.  Using tortured?  Don't wanna download/seed with out it as I've already been warned by my ISP.
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

Yes, it is your VPN.
VPN renders you passive.

- This should not affect your speeds on popular/regular torrents.
- This, however makes uploading harder. Sometimes impossible.
- Some VPN providers such as AirVPN and Private Internet Access allows you to port forward, so you can seed there/get a green light in your client.

This "issue" is not qBittorrent specific, this is how VPNs work.
skunk

Post by skunk »

[quote="Peter"]
Yes, it is your VPN.
VPN renders you passive.

- This should not affect your speeds on popular/regular torrents.
- This, however makes uploading harder. Sometimes impossible.
- Some VPN providers such as AirVPN and Private Internet Access allows you to port forward, so you can seed there/get a green light in your client.

This "issue" is not qBittorrent specific, this is how VPNs work.
[/quote]

I've talked to my VPN provider and they do offer included in my package the option to Port Forward.  After reading your reply I entered in the information as best as my limited experiace would allow and it seems to be working perfectly.  I'm now abe to download and seed files while using my VPN. 

So thank you for all the guidance, juiced it last night and working a treat for me!

Can anyone offer good torrent sites to use or become apart of?  Currently using 'Pirate Bay'  and I'm pleased so far.
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

Well, you can always change your VPN provider. On 'closed sites' you have to seed, so a passive connection will not do there.

Recommendations: Sorry, this forum is strictly about the qBittorrent project.
(We do talk about p2p and stuff, see "Cafe lounge" forum, but no invitations, no recommendations, etc.)