1 Gigabit help.

Windows specific questions, problems.
masterjedi

1 Gigabit help.

Post by masterjedi »

I've been using qBittorrent for years. I recently upgraded my home connection to 1 Gigabit up/down.
The problem is I can't get qBittorrent to download at max speed without disabling utp. I've tried every combination I could find, in any guide I could google, but to no avail. I've been at this for a couple weeks now and I'm all out of ideas.

For reference: I'm running QB 4.2.1.
I also have installed Deluge 1.3.15 (w/ ItConfig plugin set a max performance)for comparing download speeds on the same torrent.
In Deluge I hit max d/l 94 MiB/s no problem.
In QB I max out at about 55 MiB/s with utp enabled, and 94 MiB/s with TCP only.

It's my understanding I won't be able to connect to as many peers with utp disabled, hence wanting to keep it enabled.

Please help, I miss my QB desperately!

mj
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Re: 1 Gigabit help.

Post by Peter »

You can use only TCP because people use mixed mode by default. Hell, most old clients / seedbox only use TCP.
Feel free to use TCP 100%. It's totally fine.

Btw I max out 1-2gbps with default settings just fine, so IMO it's something on your end. But again it's not worth chasing really. utp is never enforced by clients but enabled. Kinda like encryption. Clients are set to "enable", not to force.
masterjedi

Post by masterjedi »

Thank you for the reply. I will investigate further and see what I can find.

mj
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

No probs but it's really not worth messing with. utp will be always slower as it was designed for residential connections. Basically the idea was that the torrent client would not hog down an entire household internet connection but it would somehow manage to leave the internet intact. While also downloading/uploading. It's kind of a self-managing thing.

Again, it's not for hardcore seeding/uploading/downloading or anything like that. It was never meant for that.
For your use-case, TCP is just perfect.

See: "The motivation for uTP is for BitTorrent clients to not disrupt internet connections, while still utilizing the unused bandwidth fully."

https://www.bittorrent.org/beps/bep_0029.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Micro_Transport_Protocol
masterjedi

Post by masterjedi »

Thank you for your help.

After a little investigation and some trial and error. I discovered if I disable the firewall in my router I could get max download with utp enable in qB.
Not wanting to leave the firewall disabled, I've since decided to follow your advice and use TCP mode, and I have no issues as of yet.

Thank you.

mj
Chandler6000

Post by Chandler6000 »

My download and upload speed according to speedtest are 950Mbit/s IN, 95Mbit/s OUT

I have default settings, VPN proxy and router port forwarding.
I use NAS (Seagate Ironwolf, cache 64MB) via 1Gbit ethernet.
Best settings that I have tested are 100 connections per torrent, 2 simultaneous downloads and no restrictions on speed (out or in).
The best I can get is 15MB/s IN total.

I use only TCP.

Is there a way to boost the speed somehow?

TIA