Can't Download

Windows specific questions, problems.
shot07

Can't Download

Post by shot07 »

Spent a few hours looking and couldn't find a solution. Tracker status is "not working" on all torrents i test. Multiple torrent clients have the same problem. I haven't need to forward ports in years, but if closed ports were the issue I'd at least be able to download. All tested torrent clients were listed in windows firewall. I'm using windows 10. I don't have any other firewall or antivirus software. I also tried resetting router, modem, and computer. I don't have another computer I could test with. I'm using a NordVPN proxy. I tried several of their servers with socks5 and http. My brain is tired and frustrated, please help.
Swhit1

Re: Can't Download

Post by Swhit1 »

I have the same issue. I could download no probs on Monday 8/2.

CHanged my sock5 info via Private Internet Access and restarted the program, still received the error
8/7/2020 1:29 PM - SOCKS5 proxy error. Message: SOCKS5 error. op: connect ec: timed out ep: 46.166.137.211:1080

I turned off the Firewall
I restarted the app a few times

Still got:
8/7/2020 2:23 PM - SOCKS5 proxy error. Message: SOCKS5 error. op: sock_read ec: The semaphore timeout period has expired ep: 109.201.152.11:1080
8/7/2020 2:23 PM - SOCKS5 proxy error. Message: SOCKS5 error. op: sock_read ec: The semaphore timeout period has expired ep: 109.201.152.11:1080

Turned off proxy and viola...download time.

Except I want to use a prixy.

What gives? Anybody got an idea?
shot07

Post by shot07 »

Last time I downloaded a torrent was a month ago. Haven't knowingly changed anything. I tried downloading without the proxy and it did the same thing. Looks like my issue is different from yours.
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

Except I want to use a prixy.
Do you have Peerblock by any chance? Or a security software? Something is actively blocking the IP.
arcsum68

Post by arcsum68 »

I have the same issue and actually reached out to NordVPN today to get some help. They asked me to install utorrent, which I hate, and unfortunately it worked perfectly with no issues. I can only download torrents using qbit if I have no proxy and/or use VPN. I also uninstalled and reinstalled the program to no avail.

Very frustrating to say the least. I was able to get a few torrents going by changing the enabled protocol to TCP, but other downloads just wouldn't finish.

I recently reimaged my computer and have had issues with qbit since then. I suspect maybe there is an issue with this version or something, not really sure, but I would really like to stop using utorrent if I can. Having my VPN on all the time is not really an option for me, too many things are blocked or require captchas to log in.

Let me know if I can help in any way.
shot07

Post by shot07 »

I got it working on utorrent but not qbittorrent. Something is blocking socks5. When I use HTTP protocol it works. I think I forgot to switch from port 1080 to 80 when I tested http earlier. Be sure you try it out on a well seeded torrent like this https://ubuntu.com/download/alternative-downloads.

Strange, after more testing I can't get anything other than the linux torrent to work now with utorrent and http proxy.
Last edited by shot07 on Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:14 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Ifoundaworkaround

Post by Ifoundaworkaround »

Hello I think I found a work around that may help you guys, after acciedently locking my self out of the GUI I found that qBittorrent keeps the encrypted GUI password in a file called qBittorrent.ini located at %APPDATA%\qBittorrent (or C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\qBittorrent) a fun fact is just to delete the [Locking] section to remove your password. This is where all the user data is of course stored. All the settings and proxy info is placed here.

Anyways the fix that worked for me is:
1. Close qBittorrent, make sure it is really terminated and you didn't just closed the GUI.
2. Deleting the two files and the folder found in %APPDATA%\qBittorrent (it should be rss, qBittorrent.ini, and qBittorrent-data.ini)
3. Restart qBittorrent.

That's really it! But please be careful, this removes all the changes you have made to the qBittorrent client, THIS INCLUDES PROXY SETTINGS!
All the torrent and trackers should all still be there. Hope this helps! (i created an account to let you guys know because i was so happy i found a fix... :) )
arcsum68

Post by arcsum68 »

Thanks! I will definitely give this a shot!
arcsum68

Post by arcsum68 »

Well, that did not work for me. I guess I stop using uTorrent, at least until there is a fix or an update.
arcsum68

Post by arcsum68 »

Starting to think it's NordVPN's crappy proxy service that they recently revamped. You may have noticed that there are a ton less SOCKS5 servers than there used to be.

While it was working very well with Utorrent, it also got a notice from my ISP that I was downloading something that someone didnt like, so its obviously not really working. Hated that app anyway, so no loss there.

I switched to Vuze because it is supposed to show me that its connected to SOCKS5 and has a test feature, but in reality it does not work. This was demonstrated very clearly when I did a leaktest but was still able to download Ubuntu very quickly but most of my other downloads didnt work. The nice thing about Vuze is if you change the server settings it almost immediately switches and connects if that proxy is going to work. I went through the full list of 15 servers provided by NordVPN and many of them do nothing for most of the torrents I was trying. Truly upsetting as I have another year left on my subscription, wont be resigning with them again unless this issue is resolved and/or they offer VPN tunneling.

I will play with qBit a bit more to see if I cant get a reliable tracker and maybe compare how fast it updates, I have noticed in the past that I have had to completely close and then reopen the client for it to change, maybe someone can confirm if it's needed because I would like to go back to using it but still have to deal with my dumb VPN.
Tabode

Post by Tabode »

I use TorGuard for Proxy. Was working fine yesterday. Today not. Turned off proxy - torrents roaring.

Changed the SOCKS5 IP Address to other US, Canada, Netherland & Sweden TorGuard IP's, torrents NOT running.

Turned OFF Socks5 proxy, torrents roaring again.

Will try another client. Somethin's busted...
Last edited by Tabode on Thu Oct 08, 2020 1:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
HnyBear

Post by HnyBear »

Hate to bring this old bug up but I'm getting this nonstop in my logs again as of ver 4.4.5
SOCKS5 proxy error. Message: SOCKS5 error. op: handshake ec: The semaphore timeout period has expired ep: